PDA

View Full Version : J. Hood speculating that Buehrle's bad pitching...

Viva Magglio
05-16-2003, 10:43 PM
...could be due to physical problems that are undiagnosed.

Daver
05-16-2003, 10:46 PM
J. Hood proves he is an idiot and gives me another reason to not listen to the score.

MHOUSE
05-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Listen to AM 1000. Buehrle's confidence is way low and it can be seen. He's hit rock bottom and no place to go but up. I think if it's anything (besides an injury) that it's the heavy work load on his young arm the last couple of years and the start of this season.

FoulkeTheIndians
05-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Maybe he should quit clubbing the night before every start; you can't pitch well on a hangover. Why else does he always suck so badly the first inning?

:burly
"Call me Party Boy"

Daver
05-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Listen to AM 1000. Buehrle's confidence is way low and it can be seen. He's hit rock bottom and no place to go but up. I think if it's anything (besides an injury) that it's the heavy work load on his young arm the last couple of years and the start of this season.

You know even less than J. Hood.

RKMeibalane
05-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Since when has J. Hood found the time to attend medical school? Give me a break! If Buehrle is hurt, then he probably would have said something by now. After all, the Cardinals won't be interested in him if he continues pitching poorly.

jeremyb1
05-16-2003, 11:55 PM
i personally haven't noticed anything in buehrle's pitching that would suggest he's injured. he's really only had two really poor starts. his era was well above average before tonight. i'd like to dump the misconception that he's pitching terribly, he's pitched well for the most part he just hasn't received good run support and good defense. tonight, he just wasn't hitting his spots it didn't seem to be an issue of lacking velocity or life on his pitches.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Does Alomar catch for Buehrle? Maybe it's time to try Olivo behind the plate when Mark pitches. I don't mean to sound like Jerry Manuel, but a few adjustments may be necessary. Buehrle has looked nothing like the pitcher he was the past two seasons. The Sox will not win anything unless he's on top of his game.

Daver
05-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Does Alomar catch for Buehrle? Maybe it's time to try Olivo behind the plate when Mark pitches. I don't mean to sound like Jerry Manuel, but a few adjustments may be necessary. Buehrle has looked nothing like the pitcher he was the past two seasons. The Sox will not win anything unless he's on top of his game.

I doubt Miguel can fix the problem he is having with his mechanics.

WhiteSox = Life
05-17-2003, 12:11 AM
I've been advocating, even before tonight's terrible game, that Buehrle skip a start in the rotation. I don't know if he's tired, injured, going through a dead arm period, or if it's mostly psychological.

I hope it's the lattermost possibility.

Question is though, if Mark does skip a start, who takes his place. Manuel doesn't have a whole lot of options. Do you put in Glover and Sanders to hopefully work 5-6 innings? You have to go with the bullpen, because you don't want to screw up the rotation anymore than Jerry already has.

I really don't know what to do. Buehrle truly has pitched pretty well, but every player can use a break, and maybe it's time that MB gets one to refresh his body and mind.

Besides that, I guess you just keep him in the rotation and have him work out the kinks while pitching as a starter.

MarqSox
05-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I've been advocating, even before tonight's terrible game, that Buehrle skip a start in the rotation. I don't know if he's tired, injured, going through a dead arm period, or if it's mostly psychological.

I hope it's the lattermost possibility.

Actually, I think psychological is the worst option, save for a serious arm/shoulder injury. Psychological stuff can haunt a pitcher -- just ask Rick Ankiel. Mechanics can be corrected, injuries can heal, dead arms come back, but problems with the brain are a whole other issue. :(:

RKMeibalane
05-17-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by daver

True, but maybe giving Buehrle a new target will allow him to loosen up. At this point, I would be willing to try anything to get him back on track, if I were Don Cooper. As I said in an earlier post, the Sox won't win anything without him pitching well.

WhiteSox = Life
05-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Actually, I think psychological is the worst option, save for a serious arm/shoulder injury. Psychological stuff can haunt a pitcher -- just ask Rick Ankiel. Mechanics can be corrected, injuries can heal, dead arms come back, but problems with the brain are a whole other issue. :(:

Good point. However, psychological problems are bad, but aren't always that horrible.

In Buehrle's case, if he's overthinking or has some psychological problem, it can't be from his poor performances, as he hasn't had very many, and unlike Ankiel, for instance, Buehrle has proven to be an ace.

Any internal problems Buehrle has likely stem from something that has happened this season, whether it be his lack of success, the contract squabbles, the whole St. Louis thing, or some other factor.

The sooner the problem(s) can be diagnosed, the less likely these are going to continue to hurt him.

Although, thinking about it, his mechanics might be a little bit off. A lot of his pitches are going over the middle of the plate and staying up. Next time he pitches, I'm going to have to take a closer look.

Nonetheless, something is up with Buehrle and it's important that the Sox get him pitching like an ace again, as he is key to the White Sox and their success.

MHOUSE
05-17-2003, 12:30 AM
You know even less than J. Hood.

Then what is wrong with him?

Daver
05-17-2003, 12:33 AM

Watch his mechanics.

Hangar18
05-17-2003, 01:27 AM

I think this is the problem. Every ball he left RIGHT OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE (something he wouldnt normally do)
was crushed. very well could be his mechanix

RKMeibalane
05-17-2003, 01:31 AM
Fire Don Cooper.

WhiteSox = Life
05-17-2003, 02:01 AM
:nardi
"My ears are burning!"

MarqSox
05-17-2003, 02:47 AM
Watch his mechanics.

Y'know, it's not necessarily an either/or ... it could be that an injury is forcing him to overcompensate to reduce the pain, thus throwing off his mechanics. So, you both may be right.

keaddy
05-17-2003, 04:47 AM
I gotta go with daver on this one.J Hood isn't exactly a quotable expert.Neither is Buehrle hurting.My impression that for Buerhle to be effective he has to be exact in his locations.He's missing his spots and he's missing over the plate and paying for it.Now,factor in a little damage to the psyche and confidence-and you've got a messed up ace.Plus,now he's questioning if he's tipping his pitches.It's not just one thing,it's a combination of a bunch of little things that add up to getting hammered.He's gonna be alright-but I would skip his next start until he can get this ironed out.It may take him a few starts to get back-but he'll be O.K.

K-Y

ChiSoxBobette
05-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...could be due to physical problems that are undiagnosed.
I think Buehrle's hoping that if he pitches bad enough by the All-Star break he'll be wearing a Cardinal Uni.

GO WHITE SOX!

idseer
05-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I think Buehrle's hoping that if he pitches bad enough by the All-Star break he'll be wearing a Cardinal Uni.

GO WHITE SOX!

makes no sense. first, wouldn't a guy that turned down a large gauranteed contract in hopes of making more on a yearly basis try to pitch better ... not worse? second, does anyone think that if mark WAS traded, that it would be to the cards? if I'M jr, stl is the LAST place i'd want to see mark go to after all the hubub his remarks have caused.

i wonder if mark has any options left? let's ship him to aaa for a stint and let him screw around down there for awhile. doesn't seem this team is going anywhere anyway.

TornLabrum
05-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by idseer
makes no sense. first, wouldn't a guy that turned down a large gauranteed contract in hopes of making more on a yearly basis try to pitch better ... not worse? second, does anyone think that if mark WAS traded, that it would be to the cards? if I'M jr, stl is the LAST place i'd want to see mark go to after all the hubub his remarks have caused.

i wonder if mark has any options left? let's ship him to aaa for a stint and let him screw around down there for awhile. doesn't seem this team is going anywhere anyway.

The Sox definitely have options on Buehrle. He spent less than two seasons in the minors and has been with the parent club ever since.

MHOUSE
05-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Watch his mechanics.

Ok, I'm not much of a scout so what should I look for? I want to learn.

Firing Don Cooper is NOT the answer.

hose
05-17-2003, 06:25 PM

Taking a look at Buehrle stats for the year.

Mark is striking out just 3.65 per 9 innings, that will not get the job done.

Batters are hitting at a .299 clip against him.

Because Buehrle is not striking out batters or at least putting the hitter in the defensive mode they are sitting on a pitch that they like. This is also leading to a lot of walks that just compounds Buehrle's problems.

Mark is a precision pitcher that relys on controll and a cut fastball as his equalizer. I have heard him say that he is not happy with his cutter this year. Hopefully he can turn it around and start getting some W's , so far the league has got him figured out.