PDA

View Full Version : Next year's starting rotation

balboner
05-16-2003, 09:55 PM
With Colon and Loaiza likely gone for more money after this year, next year's rotation looks awful.
Buehrle
Wright
Garland
???
???
With Buehrle looking awful this year, as well as Garland and Stewart, we better pray that some of our young guys better pick it up like Rauch, Honel and Cotts.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Without an increase in payroll that looks a lot like a 75 win season to me.

Yea I don't know how I've been able to stand all the success since the White Flag Deal.

Lip

SoxxoS
05-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Can we worry about next season at the end of this season, please?

joecrede
05-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Without an increase in payroll that looks a lot like a 75 win season to me.

Why is everything about increasing payroll with you, Lip? If anything I might want them to cut payroll and plow the savings into scouting and player development.

Daver
05-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Why is everything about increasing payroll with you, Lip? If anything I might want them to cut payroll and plow the savings into scouting and player development.

He has bought into the mortgage the future for a win now style of thinking,it worked for the Marlins and for the D'backs.

Give away the farm for whatever it takes to win now.

Go ask Danny Evans how well it worked for him,the Dodgers didn't make the playoffs last year and their farm system is terrible.

MHOUSE
05-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Why are we talking next year? This isn't the north side. Lets talk changes that can be made to save the season. Fire Gary Ward, release Rick White, DL or send down Harris, bring up Miles, make some CHANGES!

Lip Man 1
05-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Daver:

With respect it's because "next year" NEVER arrives for the Sox so let's try something really radical, let's spend a ton of money and see how that works for once.

Lip

Daver
05-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Daver:

With respect it's because "next year" NEVER arrives for the Sox so let's try something really radical, let's spend a ton of money and see how that works for once.

Lip

Did a lot of good for the Marlins didn't it?

spanishwhite
05-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by balboner
With Colon and Loaiza likely gone for more money after this year, next year's rotation looks awful.

I know that we have an option on him. And "I believe" that it is for somewhere b/t 4-6 million. Dont quote me on the the amount, but Im positive that we have an option.

But, this is the reason that Garland and Wright will never be traded.

The sox are hoping (praying) that their talent actually develops into something.

They are at least stopgaps for Rauch, Honel, Wing, and whoever else we draft in hopes of FINALLY having a solid rotation.

Not to mention that there might be another Loaiza type free agent or Colon type trade.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2003, 01:11 AM

http://mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/gallery/emperor10.jpg

"What treachery is this? Bartolo Colon and Esteban Loaiza are mine! I will not tolerate disobedience, no matter how minor. Do not forget what I am capable of."

ChiSoxBobette
05-17-2003, 07:23 AM
Buehrle
Wright
Garland
???
???
With Buehrle looking awful this year, as well as Garland and Stewart, we better pray that some of our young guys better pick it up like Rauch, Honel and Cotts.

Buehrle - Gone
Garland - Get Rid Of Him(according to the Sat. Sun-Times the Cardinals are interested in him for just maybe J.D. Drew)
That leaves us with Wright , who is way to eratic and probably more suited to be a relief pitcher. If Judy(garland) has a good game tonight vs the twinkies I think with Harris getting hurt he'll get delt for a CF's(hopefully to the cardinals for Drew if rumors are true)
Right now the Sox are lucky that there in this division & they still are in the race, if they take the remaining 2 games vs. the twinkies and have good homestand against a pretty good Toronto team and the lowly tigers then maybe they'll take off but last nights game getting smoked 18 to 3 after taking 3 games against the O's shows how eratic we are especially with having players who have been around a while who should know that this series with the twins could set a tone for the rest of the year.
Garland better come out like this tonight- :angry:
GO WHITE SOX!

Procol Harum
05-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Good one RKM, I think the Emperor from the "Star War" series should become the official new WSI representation for Jerry Reinsdorf!!

:reinsy
"Wait until I unleash my 25-man roster minimum-wage Clone Army of Rowands and Garlands upon the unsuspecting South Side fans--Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!"

Lip Man 1
05-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Daver:

Yea it did. As I recall the Marlins won something called the World Series in 1997.

Somebody asked me if I'd rather contend every season but NOT go to the series or win the series one year and then lose 100 games a season for the next ten years. They wanted to know what I'd do.

I didn't even have to think about it...WIN THE SERIES BABY. For the next ten years I can always just watch my tapes from that year!

Lip

Procol Harum
05-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

If we lose these next two against the Twinks, we may as well start worrying about next season--this team will be D-U-N done. That is if they weren't already.

MHOUSE
05-17-2003, 10:28 AM
The Orioles lost 5-1 to TAMPA BAY last night. They were swept last week by the Tigers. Suddenly our hard-fought sweep doesn't look so mighty. I think the Twins proved that.

SoxxoS
05-17-2003, 11:07 AM
By the way, Loiaza will be back next season, as he signed with a 4 million club option for next year that the Sox should pick up.

gosox41
05-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Or at least until the end of July.

Bob

OEO Magglio
05-17-2003, 12:03 PM
By the way, Loiaza will be back next season, as he signed with a 4 million club option for next year that the Sox should pick up.

Even so he'll probably be traded when the sox are out of contention by July.

gosox41
05-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Even so he'll probably be traded when the sox are out of contention by July.

If Loiaza keeps pitching anything like this, the Sox should be able to get a ton for him since even smaller market teams could afford him.

Of course, I hope it doesn't come to that. And also, KW is making the trades so we'll probably get a 25 year old single A player.

Bob