PDA

View Full Version : Wgn/Fox Broadcasts....Producers in Charge?

Hangar18
05-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Maybe Lip or Hsnterprize can help here. Who is in charge of all the Camera Angles on telecasts? Everytime I watch WGN or FOX, they cant help themselves, and give Gratuitious Camera time to "cub fans" when theyre on the road. Always seemed to me that they actually went out of their way to do it and, a recent game, I counted they did it once for every Inning. I was recently able to see the SOX on the ROad in Cleveland and Detroit and was Surprised, Shocked, and Proud at the numbers of Sox Fans that were at the games. It was amazing and it felt Great knowing were not as much a "minority" as the Media paints us out to be. But did the TV's show us in the stands in force?
No Way. Not A Chance. I asked my sisters to watch the last game I was at in Cleveland, and I estimated of the 40,000 fans there, at least 8,000 had to be sox fans. Did my sister see the "gratuitious" fan shots? No way. Not a one. Makes the casual observer think the SOX have no fans, and the Cubs are Loved Universally. I rest my case. So who would I write at the outlets?

Foulke You
05-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Maybe Lip or Hsnterprize can help here. Who is in charge of all the Camera Angles on telecasts? Everytime I watch WGN or FOX, they cant help themselves, and give Gratuitious Camera time to "cub fans" when theyre on the road. Always seemed to me that they actually went out of their way to do it and, a recent game, I counted they did it once for every Inning. I was recently able to see the SOX on the ROad in Cleveland and Detroit and was Surprised, Shocked, and Proud at the numbers of Sox Fans that were at the games. It was amazing and it felt Great knowing were not as much a "minority" as the Media paints us out to be. But did the TV's show us in the stands in force?
No Way. Not A Chance. I asked my sisters to watch the last game I was at in Cleveland, and I estimated of the 40,000 fans there, at least 8,000 had to be sox fans. Did my sister see the "gratuitious" fan shots? No way. Not a one. Makes the casual observer think the SOX have no fans, and the Cubs are Loved Universally. I rest my case. So who would I write at the outlets?

I hear ya Hangar. Although, I can attribute part of the problem is WGN/FOX taking their Wrigley broadcasting style on the road with them. I have never seen a team do more crowd shots then the Cubs do at Wrigley Field. It is almost to the point of distraction and furthers the point that the Trib stopped selling baseball years ago. They just sell the park. I would like to hear Vic's opinion on this since he watches way more Cub broadcasts than any of us. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I know as a baseball fan, I get annoyed having the camera go away from the action too much. I think Cub broadcasts even outshine Lakers broadcasts in the crowd camera shot department. At least the Lakers have movie stars to show, the Cubs are just promoting their "atmosphere".

While I didn't get on camera at Fenway last year, in 2001 my girlfriend and I got on camera during a Sox/Brewers game at Miller Park. Of course, it helped that I caught a baseball that Chris Singleton threw after the 3rd out in the 7th inning so the camera was probably panning that direction. They show Sox fans on the road but not much. Even in KC for the first few games of this season, I heard a lot of Sox fans cheering in the background but they never showed any of them.

Dadawg_77
05-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Baseball telecast are apart of marketing the team. Cubs market fun time at the old ball park, thus shots of people having fun and cheesecake. It Cubs keeping a focus on what brings fans into the stands.

pudge
05-16-2003, 03:02 PM
To answer your question, it's the producer... I've also noticed they love to crank up the crowd mics at Sox games to make up for the fact that the stands are empty... take a listen and notice how the fans voices are nearly as loud as Hawk and DJ... it becomes really obvious when you flip between games on DirecTV. No other broadcast does it.

Foulke You
05-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by pudge
To answer your question, it's the producer... I've also noticed they love to crank up the crowd mics at Sox games to make up for the fact that the stands are empty... take a listen and notice how the fans voices are nearly as loud as Hawk and DJ... it becomes really obvious when you flip between games on DirecTV. No other broadcast does it.

I disagree with the crowd mics being cranked to make it sound like there is more people. Sox crowds are always loud, even though there aren't that many of us. From my many experiences at the Cell, I can definitely say that Sox fans are loud and into the games. You aren't hearing an illusion from your TV.

I think the voices being picked up has more to do with where they position the crowd fx mike and how many loud/drunk fans are right next to the mic. Keep in mind that the fx mic is also for capturing the sound effects from the field like the crack of the bat and the pop of the catchers mitt. The Sox aren't alone in hearing fan's voices, I also hear hecklers loud and clear many times when the Sox are on the road.

npdempse
05-16-2003, 03:21 PM
It's not just at the Cell, though. Wherever they are, the sound mix is horrible. It was especially bad at Network Associates, I cranked the TV, but still could barely hear Hawk & DJ.

This is a new thing this year, I think. It's gotta be on the producer's end, since it's not a problem for Rooney and Farmer or on any other broadcasts I watch. The idiot who runs the chiron has also been screwing up beyond belief this year. It seems like at least half the time the balls/strikes count is off or there's some imaginary runner on base. If they've even got the thing on.

And another thing...what happened to email? Hawk loves email. Where'd it go?

Hullett_Fan
05-16-2003, 03:31 PM
I watch a lot of Cubs games (when the Sox aren't on or there's a commercial break) and definitely enjoy their production job a lot more than the Sox. I like the crowd shots, though sometimes they get carried away. It's an Arnie Harris thing that the new producer/director carried on.

As for the crowd mic during Sox games...it sucks and is one of the reasons I turn down the TV and tune in to John and Ed. Sox TV has some major audio problems. You can hear drunk guys swearing or just being loud for inning after inning...during home and road games.

WinningUgly!
05-16-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I watch a lot of Cubs games (when the Sox aren't on or there's a commercial break) and definitely enjoy their production job a lot more than the Sox. I like the crowd shots, though sometimes they get carried away. It's an Arnie Harris thing that the new producer/director carried on.

My favorite Arnie Harris thing is when Sosa hits a flyball to LF & the camera is jerked way up in the sky like the ball is leaving the atmosphere. It's done the same way if it's a homerun or just a routine flyball.