PDA

View Full Version : MLB Trade Rumor: Viña to Mets for Sandy's Little Brother

Viva Magglio
05-16-2003, 12:10 PM
There are rumors that the Cardinals and the Mets are thinking of trading their second baseman. Fernándo Viña would go to the Mets for Roberto Alomar. Supposedly, Sandy's little brother is not interested in playing in New York while Viña is not getting along with Tony LaRussa. Either one of them would be nice to have on the White Sox. Agree, Kenny?

hold2dibber
05-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
There are rumors that the Cardinals and the Mets are thinking of trading their second baseman. Fernándo Viña would go to the Mets for Roberto Alomar. Supposedly, Sandy's little brother is not interested in playing in New York while Viña is not getting along with Tony LaRussa. Either one of them would be nice to have on the White Sox. Agree, Kenny?

I'm not Kenny, but I disagree. Jimenez has been better offensively than either of those guys this year. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=null&statSet1=null&sortByStat=AB&statType=1&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2003&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=4&box9=XXXX110183nyn4&box14=XXXX123726sln4&box16=XXXX150090cha4&compare.x=33&compare.y=4) Plus, he's young and cheap, which cannot be said of the other two (particularly Alomar). If the Sox have the payroll flexibility to add some salary (and I'm guessing that unless attendance picks up considerably, they do not), I'd much rather see them go out and find a CF/left handed bat or a starting pitcher, than a 2B that is no better than the one they already have.

MHOUSE
05-16-2003, 09:38 PM
No, Jimenez is better.