PDA

View Full Version : Trade Bait: Tom Gordon..

Tragg
05-15-2003, 10:21 PM
He needs a couple of more effective outings (plus a lot fewer walks), but this is the guy we should peddle. He has something that teams might want: a closer's pedigree - he's done it before and successfully. To the Sox, he's just another middle reliever.
St Louis and Cincy are in desparate need of pitching - and they need pitchers who are ready now, not our prospects; and we need to keep our prospects.

Put him on the block, be patient and see if a passable CF is offered.

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
He needs a couple of more effective outings (plus a lot fewer walks), but this is the guy we should peddle. He has something that teams might want: a closer's pedigree - he's done it before and successfully. To the Sox, he's just another middle reliever.
St Louis and Cincy are in desparate need of pitching - and they need pitchers who are ready now, not our prospects; and we need to keep our prospects.

Put him on the block, be patient and see if a passable CF is offered.

I'm not so sure about this. He's starting to look pretty good & I don't think we are in a position to unload quality veteran relievers at this point. If Koch & White hadn't gone through the struggles they have, I'd be more willing to consider it.

doublem23
05-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Gordon's been pitching really well as of late, and maybe I'm just an idiotic optimist, but I don't think the Sox are fully out of this thing just yet. I don't know how enthused I am about trading away one of our better arms out of the bullpen (thus far).

If the right deal was sent our way I would hope KW would pull the trigger, but I'd be much more willing to trade the likes of Edwin Almonte.

MHOUSE
05-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Gordon has had two quality outings in crucial situations of late. He's coming around and hopefully he and Marte can be 7th-8th inning setup guys for Koch. If the bullpen starts clicking together then we're in good shape.

If White doesn't figure it out soon then he needs to be released. Ever since he was signed b4 SP he hasn't shown anything yet in SP or in this season and nothing of his sub-1 ERA last season with St. Louis.

hold2dibber
05-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Gordon has had two quality outings in crucial situations of late. He's coming around and hopefully he and Marte can be 7th-8th inning setup guys for Koch. If the bullpen starts clicking together then we're in good shape.

If White doesn't figure it out soon then he needs to be released. Ever since he was signed b4 SP he hasn't shown anything yet in SP or in this season and nothing of his sub-1 ERA last season with St. Louis.

I wonder if St. Louis, which really needs bullpen help, would be willing to take a flier on White. He performed really well for them last year, so they probably remember him fondly. White alone wouldn't garner much, but he could be part of package to get J.D. Drew here.

harwar
05-16-2003, 09:35 AM
IF the Sox can get Gordon-Marte-Koch all pitching like they are supposed to,then we could have one of the key weapons in the battle for post-season.

boog_alou
05-16-2003, 09:43 AM
If some team is stupid enough to give up some talent in exchange for Gordon (or more accurately the 10 ip before Gordon inevitably goes on the DL for 2+ months), then the Sox should do it.

But the question is this: what would any team give up in exchange for Gordon? The Sox need a quality LH bat. I don't think they'd be able to get that for Gordon, or White, or Gordon+White.

MHOUSE
05-16-2003, 11:48 PM
White's 7.27 ERA out of the 'pen won't get us anything but a bag of baseballs. He should be released.

keaddy
05-17-2003, 05:33 AM
We're the ones that should be looking to ADD more quality relievers,rather than trading them.We're not exactly trading from a position of strength.White shouldn't be on a MLB roster-Sanders should be back in double A-Glover doesn't get enough work to be effective-Koch is still iffy.Plus,now we have two really shaky spots in the starting rotation between Buehrle and Garland.Wright has just come back and is uncertain.

Plus,remember who the guy is making the trades.(shiver)Let's just keep Gordon for a while and see where we're at.

K-Y

Tragg
05-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Well, I just think that Gordon is the only player that the Sox have that could actually bring MORE in trade than he's really worth. Whether KW has the skills to capitalize on that is questionable, no doubt.
We've still got a decent pen - Marte is good, Koch should have things worked out, Wunsch can pitch, I don't know what's wrong with Glover but maybe he should hop back into the rotation (he was a decent 6 inning starter) and let Garland go to the pen (he and Wells pitched well in the pen 2 years ago after sucking in the rotation) to work things out; we have enough arms to have a decent pen.