PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 5-15-03 White Sox vs Baltimore

Jjav829
05-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Bartolo Colon tries to secure a sweep for the Sox against Sidney Ponson.

voodoochile
05-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Strike 'em out, throw 'em out. Nice DP to end the baltimore half of the 1st...

Blueprint1
05-15-2003, 07:27 PM
WILL WE EVER GET SOME FREAKING HITS. IT IS SO ANNOYING

siugrad25
05-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Nice way to ruin what looked like a nice inning. Bases loaded nobody out and he grounds into a dp, get him out of there...

MRKARNO
05-15-2003, 07:42 PM
one inning, 4 base runners, 1 run. What more can I say?

AngelLeroy
05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Big Frank with 2 strikes hits a screaming liner over the left-center field fence. Tie game, 2-2! Maybe he's back?

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 07:51 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/hurtsogood2.JPG

He's starting to carry this team again. :D:

delben91
05-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Another jack for the Big Hurt. Man, how great would it be if he was getting locked in.

Iguana775
05-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

too bad there is never anyone one base when he gets ahold of one.

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
Nice way to ruin what looked like a nice inning. Bases loaded nobody out and he grounds into a dp, get him out of there...

Where do you want him to go, AAA? You can't do that. We just have to wait it out. Plus, he plays pretty good defense, although I cringe everytime he throws the ball.

Graffanino and Rios should be playing a lot more, though. Actually, Rios should be starting in CF, because Willie Harris obviously isn't a major leaguer.

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Anyone know the record for consecutive solo home runs? 9 of 9 all of the solo variety has to be close for the Big Hurt.

siugrad25
05-15-2003, 08:10 PM
It's not like I want to get him out of there forever, it just hurts to see runnings left on base by dp's... I still think Crede's going to be a good player, I'm sorry, I'm just so flustered.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 08:10 PM

Not bad for someone with no bat speed. That anonymous scout is a ****ing idiot.

Good job, Frank!

lowesox
05-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Bartolo looks as though he's turned the corner too. Could JM's speech about players having to take a look at themselves in the mirror be the turning point for this team? It certainly has sparked some life into big frank.

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 08:42 PM
This may be on Jayson Stark's rumblings and grumblings-

Joe Crede is 10-52 in his last 20 games, which is about a .195 average. However, there was a 7 game hit streak involved in those 20 games.

Pretty funny. Actually, I might start crying.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Konerko seems to be taking a lot of walks lately. That's a really good sign.

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 08:50 PM
I was just wondering if we are ever going to score in like the first 6 innings. Like, you know, putting the game out of reach early...when is the last time that happened. I would, just once, love to see a "6" spot in the 3rd inning.

Gary Ward is obviously, a great hitting coach. You can tell by the production.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
This may be on Jayson Stark's rumblings and grumblings-

Joe Crede is 10-52 in his last 20 games, which is about a .195 average. However, there was a 7 game hit streak involved in those 20 games.

Pretty funny. Actually, I might start crying.

Crede needs to get it going. A number of people have suggested that Greg Walker should be Ward's replacement, and Joe Crede is one of the reasons why. Walker worked with Joe at Charlotte, so he may be able to help him get back on track.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Crede needs to get it going. A number of people have suggested that Greg Walker should be Ward's replacement, and Joe Crede is one of the reasons why. Walker worked with Joe at Charlotte, so he may be able to help him get back on track.

Every time i hear Greg Walker's name it sends me into fits of anger. How often do all of the fans and media and players agree on something unanimously? Kenny Williams is an *******. Not firing Gary Ward yet is the dumbest thing he's done as GM in my books. Yes that includes the Ritchie trade, and the Royce trade.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I was just wondering if we are ever going to score in like the first 6 innings. Like, you know, putting the game out of reach early...when is the last time that happened. I would, just once, love to see a "6" spot in the 3rd inning.

Gary Ward is obviously, a great hitting coach. You can tell by the production.

:fireward

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Harris only has one stolen base in how many games? I'm sorry but is there any other reason that he's on this team?

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Great AB by Jimenez, especially with Ponson over the 100 pitch mark.

fquaye149
05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
i am only watching the mlb.com gameday deal, but can someone tell me why our number 2 hitter couldn't get a bunt down fair in two tries?

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Can anybody on this team bunt? And, how interesting that its big Frank coming up with the sacks drunk?

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Ball 4 base hit! :)

siugrad25
05-15-2003, 09:16 PM
I'm really pleased on Big Frank's turnaround, some HRs, a walk with the bases loaded. It can only be a good thing. Now it's time for Konerko, Crede a the cast of others to respond.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Have the sox scored on a lot of bases loaded walks this season or is it just me?

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't surprised if John Garland works the final two innings with a big lead and this being his designated pitching day.

voodoochile
05-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I wouldn't surprised if John Garland works the final two innings with a big lead and this being his designated pitching day.

Nothing done by JM would surprise me, but Colon is at 79 pitches through 7. He should just finish...

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Nothing done by JM would surprise me, but Colon is at 79 pitches through 7. He should just finish...

True but this has been a long inning for the Sox now, and Garland could use a low pressure situation. I think it would be a great idea. Either he or Rick White.

It's nice for Bartolo to get a CG but I think you try and take advantage of this type of situation whenever it presents itself.

cheeses_h_rice
05-15-2003, 09:27 PM
I don't recognize that number in the Sox's run column...it looks like 2 little zeroes stacked one on top of the other. I swear, I used to know what that number was called, but it's become so unfamiliar to me.

Little help?

:)

p.s. I could've sworn Mora was going to catch Maggs' triple, like he's been doing all night. Phew. That made the game right there.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Good signs:

This is the second straight game where the Sox have gone out and grabbed a game that could've gone either way.

Konerko's now been on base 3 times tonight, and if I'm not mistaken was on a couple times last night too.

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 09:44 PM
The 1st guy up better get drilled! :angry:

delben91
05-15-2003, 09:48 PM

He did, and it was Hairston, couldn't pick a more deserving guy to get nailed. Though I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a Colon fastball (was it a fastball?)

Jjav829
05-15-2003, 09:48 PM

And he did! Good job sticking up for our superstar, Bartolo!

fquaye149
05-15-2003, 09:50 PM
why did this happen? and what's going on right now? is there a brawl?

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by delben91
He did, and it was Hairston, couldn't pick a more deserving guy to get nailed. Though I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a Colon fastball (was it a fastball?)

Yes it was. :)

That's what I'm talkin' about Bad Bart!!!!!

Jjav829
05-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149

Maggs was hit by a pitch, so Bartolo retaliated by drilling Hairston. No brawls. The benches cleared and there was a bunch of standing around. Kind of like in the Twins series.

cheeses_h_rice
05-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Great night!

Lakers get destroyed.

Sox finally come up with a huge inning.

Colon stands up for the Sox and drills little Jerry Hairston.

And we're back to .500. I suddenly feel a bit better about this team.

fquaye149
05-15-2003, 09:53 PM
why on earth did manuel just get tossed but not bartolo?

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149

Julio drilled Maggs & Bad Bart evened up the score. These O's are a bunch of pissy chumps.

diehardjoe
05-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Finally this team is looking like the team that can hit and cares about winning. You have to love that Colon comes out and hits the first batter he sees.

I remember back in 2000, in late April the tone that set the first half of the season was a fight with the Tigers.

Is this the turn around for this team, there seem to be some team unity finally.

I' ll have one
:gulp:

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Maggs was hit by a pitch, so Bartolo retaliated by drilling Hairston. No brawls. The benches cleared and there was a bunch of standing around. Kind of like in the Twins series.

I have a feeling there's going to be a huge brawl this weekend. Both the Sox and Twins have narrowly missed becoming involved in fights this week, so it wouldn't take much to send both teams over the edge.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by diehardjoe
Finally this team is looking like the team that can hit and cares about winning. You have to love that Colon comes out and hits the first batter he sees.

I remember back in 2000, in late April the tone that set the first half of the season was a fight with the Tigers.

Is this the turn around for this team, there seem to be some team unity finally.

I' ll have one
:gulp:

Holy Sh*t JM lower the intensity buddy!!!

Iguana775
05-15-2003, 09:58 PM

Why? What happened?

lowesox
05-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Holy Sh*t JM lower the intensity buddy!!!

Whoops that was supposed to be a joke about JM but i typed it really quick. It didn't have anything to do with your post.

WinningUgly!
05-15-2003, 10:00 PM
I have a feeling there's going to be a huge brawl this weekend. Both the Sox and Twins have narrowly missed becoming involved in fights this week, so it wouldn't take much to send both teams over the edge.

Hopefully we can carry this emotion over into the series with the Twinkies. The bats are coming alive, the bullpen seems to be clicking, the starting pitching is looking very good & that fire is back in the belly! :gulp: Bring on the Twins!

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
Why? What happened?

Ordonez was hit by a pitch, so Colon retaliated by hitting Jerry Hairston. Both benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Manuel was ejected (again).

Saracen
05-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Way to go sticking up for Maggs in the 9th - Bartolo sent the message to the rest of the league not to mess with our hitters.

Even in the event he gets a one-game suspension, that would unify the team.

Way to go, Bart!

doublem23
05-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Colon was ejected immediately after drilling Hairston, too, by the way. Someone asked and I don't think anyone said this yet.

hose
05-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
Why? What happened?

Maggs got drilled two nights in a row by Oriole pitching.

Tonight in the 8th inning Maggs got in the back. The umpire for some reason warns both benches.

Top of the ninth with Colon cruising towards a complete game with only 86 pitches throws the first pitch way inside on Hairston missing him, on the next pitch he drills Hairston.

Hairston starts jawing, the benches clear but no brawls break out.
Colon and Manuel get the automatic ejection.

COLON BACKS HIS TEAMMATES !!!!

doublem23
05-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Also, since I don't think anyone's posted this yet...

:sweep

Yes, it is Baltimore, but we are .500 again and only 4 1/2 out with a lot of baseball to play. Maybe these jamokes can turn this thing around after all.

GO SOX!

HawkDJ
05-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Bartolo could've easily been selfish and gotten the complete game but he decided to stick up for his teammate while knowing he would be thrown out for it. Great job.

Iguana775
05-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Ordonez was hit by a pitch, so Colon retaliated by hitting Jerry Hairston. Both benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Manuel was ejected (again).

i see. good to see colon standing up for his boys!

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by hose
COLON BACKS HIS TEAMMATES !!!!

It's nice to see the Sox showing some unity.

If Major League Baseball has any sense, they won't punish Colon for this. I don't see how they can justify suspending someone who was only protecting his teammates. Both Thomas and Ordonez have been hit several times this season, and none of the pitchers responsible were punished. If the MLB does anything, they should expect to be criticized harshly, because they would be setting a double standard.

delben91
05-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
jamokes

The lengths people go to to get around the language filter :D:

doublem23
05-15-2003, 10:23 PM

I think "jamoke" is a very underused, yet effective, insult.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 10:28 PM

I don't even bother bypassing the filter. I just type in the word normally. People should be able to figure out what I'm saying anyway. Besides, it's more fun seeing some of the words "bleeped" out.

cheeses_h_rice
05-15-2003, 10:35 PM
http://www.m-w.com/mw/textonly/wftw/98mar/032698.htm

I've always spelled it "jamoch," but it apparently could go either way.

But, more importantly, it isn't obscene, so mm23 ain't trying to bypass a language filter by using this term.

Anyway, I just want to say: BRING ON THE TWINS!!! I'm now much more psyched about this series than I was a few days ago.

doublem23
05-15-2003, 10:38 PM
I don't even bother bypassing the filter. I just type in the word normally. People should be able to figure out what I'm saying anyway. Besides, it's more fun seeing some of the words "bleeped" out.

Every time I see the "****"s I think of that scene in South Park's pilot where Kyle goes off on the aliens.

TheBigHurt
05-15-2003, 11:04 PM
ON a side not Frank's avg. is now at 279!!! :) WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOO :gulp: keep it rising

hose
05-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
ON a side not Frank's avg. is now at 279!!! :) WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOO :gulp: keep it rising

Hey Big Hurt your two favorite White Sox have been coming through!! :cool:

WhiteSox = Life
05-15-2003, 11:15 PM
For those who know what I'm talking about...

"Oh, what a night! May 15th, 2-thousand-and-3. What a very special night to see. What a showing, what a night... Oh, what a night! Backing his team, Bartolo got tossed. Not to mention, the damn Lakers lost. What great moments, what a night."

Just feeling nostalgic, all.

:D:

By the way, chat was awesome. Hope to see a lot of you in there tomorrow.

LuvSox
05-15-2003, 11:31 PM
B.J. Surhoff was eager to try out his newly perfected Heimlich Maneuver.

TheBigHurt
05-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by hose
Hey Big Hurt your two favorite White Sox have been coming through!! :cool:

FRANK did well, but Wee Willie was as usual didnt do too much wow 1 hit for Wee Willie WE should lead him off

ShoelessFred
05-16-2003, 12:42 AM
For those who know what I'm talking about...

"Oh, what a night! May 15th, 2-thousand-and-3. What a very special night to see. What a showing, what a night... Oh, what a night! Backing his team, Bartolo got tossed. Not to mention, the damn Lakers lost. What great moments, what a night."

AMEN brother. i was at tonights game and it was great to see this team STAND UP for each other.

valposoxfan
05-16-2003, 01:04 AM
OK everyone we are in a better situation than we were no doubt. Last year we would not have been able to take 2 of 6 on the west coast if our lives depended on it and we were able to manage 2 wins out there this time around. This wasn't good enough for the team however, and Manuel called out the players. It looks like they are responding but I think a lot of it goes back to Tuesday night and Loiaza'a performance. This team is finally starting to believe. If they take two of three from the Twins, this is gonna be a new season...