PDA

View Full Version : Enough of this already!

Viva Magglio
05-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Once again, the Cubs have become the object of media fawning and some of their fans' masturbation. Coming into today, the North Siders have a 2-game lead on Houston and Cincinnati and a 4-game lead on St. Louis. The tone of the media and these fans would leave one to believe that the Cubs are a lock for the World Series championship. Pul-lease!!!

This week the Cubs have fattened themselves on the NL Central doormat Milwaukee Brewers. The Brewers are MLB's worst team this side of Detroit. For Christ's sake, Milwaukee's shortstop is The Choice! Beating the Brewers is not hard. Our White Sox could do it, as evidenced by our taking five of six so far from Detroit. Yet, in the minds of the media and some Cub fans, there is no difference between the cupcake Brewers and the New York Yankees.

Maybe it's just me, but domination over the great Milwaukee Brewers does not impress me. The Cubs are better than they were a year ago, but they are not the 1927 Yankees yet. For the most part, the Cubs have fattened up on inferior competition. They split their only two meetings with the Cardinals, and they have not faced the Astros as of yet. They also haven't faced the Braves or the Phillies. And come interleague play, they have to face the Yankees, Red Sox, and of course us.

So before sports talk radio starts planning the Cubs' World Series rotation, let's see how they do against non-cupcakes first. This weekend, they head down to Busch Stadium where they face a less-than-impressive St. Louis Cardinals. However, the Cubs are often dominated at Busch, and let's see if this visit to Cardinal Nation derails their drive.

thecell
05-15-2003, 02:58 PM
GO CARDS!

Risk
05-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Don't let idiots like that even bother you, VM. Todays only May 15, so there's officially 16 days left befoe the Scrubs begin their annual "June swoon," where one can witness baseball futility at it's best (or in the Scrubs case, worst).
:) :gulp:

Risk

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Risk
Don't let idiots like that even bother you, VM. Todays only May 15, so there's officially 16 days left befoe the Scrubs begin their annual "June swoon," where one can witness baseball futility at it's best (or in the Scrubs case, worst).
:) :gulp:

Risk

Agreed. The Cubs will not stay in first place, so I see no reason to worry about the media's fascination with them. The Cubs could lose every single game, and the Chicago media would still give them more coverage than they do the Sox. That's just the way it is. Don't let it spoil your fun, Viva Magglio.

Hangar18
05-15-2003, 03:50 PM
I hate the Cubs and the Cub loving media

Blueprint1
05-15-2003, 03:57 PM
I think alot of the media loves the cubs because they are not from Chicago. They move here and the first place they want to go is Wrigley field. They do not understand the Whitesox and how they were the true Chicago team for years. I still think the Whitesox are the real Chicago team. The cubs are more of a outside of Chicago team (Central Illinois Cub fans) If your from Chicago area the true team is the Sox.

Foulke You
05-15-2003, 03:57 PM
As long as we're on the subject of Cub loving media, did anyone see the promo spots CLTV (Cub Lover Television) has been running? They are showing highlights from Dusty Baker's fishing trip and promise "to find out what makes the Cubs manager tick!" Excuse me while this Sox fan vomits!

DustyIsOverated1
05-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I hate the Cubs and the Cub loving media

We live in The United States of Cubmerica, get used to it.

The only problem is....... with that pitching staff....THIS cub team, if healthy, will advance to the playoffs in 2003, thus my moving to canada

WhiteSoxWinner
05-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
The only problem is....... with that pitching staff....THIS cub team, if healthy, will advance to the playoffs in 2003, thus my moving to canada

Come on, they have to MAKE the playoffs first. They haven't made it through June yet. The only good team they have played in their schedule were the Giants for three games. Otherwsie they have have played more crap teams than the Sox. Once they start to play the good teams and get to June, we'll see the true colors of the team.

Hangar18
05-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
As long as we're on the subject of Cub loving media, did anyone see the promo spots CLTV (Cub Lover Television) has been running? They are showing highlights from Dusty Baker's fishing trip and promise "to find out what makes the Cubs manager tick!" Excuse me while this Sox fan vomits!

cub lover television LMAO Is that channel still on? That channel was invented Purely so any games WGN couldnt broadcast, that channel could.

T Dog
05-15-2003, 08:18 PM
On the plus side, it sure feels good to watch their fans get their hearts broken. In 1969, everyone assumed the Cubs were going to the World Series. A local radio station even ran computer simulations of games between the '69 Cubs and American League champions of the past. I had more fun watching the Cubs get beat up in September than I did watching the Sox failed efforts to finish ahead of both of their division's expansion teams.

I was in the Southwest with San Diego World Series tickets in 1984, so the euphoria of winning overshadowed the joy of seeing the Cubs fail after coming so close. Today I had to take joy in hearing Kerry Wood deprived of a win within moments of Ron Santo saying "he's always a 20-game winner in my book."

Today Santo said he knows the confidence these players feel because he played on a winner in '69. I'm looking forward to hearing him swallow his tongue before the season is out.

gosox3072
05-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Who cares what the cubs do as long as we win, dont listen to the media.

TheBigHurt
05-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
Who cares what the cubs do as long as we win, dont listen to the media.
EASIER said then done for most Sox fans BE GOOD folks

LuvSox
05-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
EASIER said then done for most Sox fans BE GOOD folks

You can't avoid it here. They're everywhere. I've now put WGN news on my "Will never watch again" list. Their anchors verbal masturbation over the Cubbies extra inning win today made me vomit my undigested dinner. OH BOY, it took them 17 innings to beat a ****ty Brewers team! World Series here we come!!!

By the way, being bad is better than being good :D:

cheeses_h_rice
05-15-2003, 11:13 PM
While I am bummed about the Brewers laying down for 4 straight in their home park, I still have mucho faith that the Flubs, in each and every one of their incarnations, will find some way to "blow it." Therefore, I pay little attention to the giddy reports by Cub reporters like Giangreco, Roan et al., as I have a good feeling for how things will turn out, in the end.

The last several years have revealed a familiar pattern. Nearly every year, the Flubs perform *just* well enough to cause their fans to behave like jackasses. Sometimes, this even lasts for 3 or 4 months. But, invariably, inevitably, inexorably, it ends in mediocrity, finger-pointing and "wait 'til next year"ness. I count 2003 as being no different, despite having Mark Prior and a healthy Kerry Wood.

LuvSox
05-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Nearly every year, the Flubs perform *just* well enough to cause their fans to behave like jackasses.

I tend to think that to be a Cubbie fan one is already a jackass. Maybe they are on heightened alert :D: