PDA

View Full Version : The First Base Decision


RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Interleague play is still a month away; however, it's never too early to think about possible changes to the lineup in preparation for games played in National League parks. With that in mind, I think it is necessary to address the decision to start Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko at first base.

To this point, Frank has performed better than Konerko. His offensive numbers in every major category are superior to those of his younger counterpart. However, Frank has yet to play a regular season game in the field. Manuel has left him as the designated hitter for the entire season, even though Thomas has said he wants to play more games at first.

Paul Konerko has had a rough first six weeks. His batter average has taken a nose dive, and his power numbers are nowhere near what one would expect them to be. However, Konerko has been the starting first baseman for the past four seasons, and his defense has improved since he first began playing the position. Thomas, on the other hand, is a defensive liability.

Hangar18
05-15-2003, 02:11 PM
this has Good Thread written all over it.
Thomas should start getting some games out on the Field soon. Its ok for PK to DH here and there....Hell, if they BOTH stink by then, LET DAUBACH PLAY ALL THE INTERLEAGUE games at 1st.

MHOUSE
05-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
this has Good Thread written all over it.
Thomas should start getting some games out on the Field soon. Its ok for PK to DH here and there....Hell, if they BOTH stink by then, LET DAUBACH PLAY ALL THE INTERLEAGUE games at 1st.

I agree completely. Couldn't have said it better. PK's defense hasn't been that great so far either.

xil357
05-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Let's get Frank in there at 1B. Historically he hits better when he plays the field. Konerko needs a break. We can put him on the DL with his hip injury. Let Jiminez DH and call up Miles to play 2B.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-15-2003, 02:28 PM
I have to agree with most of the rest of the posts so far; Frank should get some time in the field to prepare for interleague play. Frank isn't the best defensive first baseman, but he wasn't completely awful either. However, he will have some rust, and it is better to get some of that off before the interleague play starts. Let Konerko be DH or heck, let him sit. Either way, Frank is the clear cut choice for first base in interleague play and we need to make sure he is ready.

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 02:47 PM
It depends on who is swinging the bat well or not. If Konerko gets into a groove before then, then alternate with Thomas. If Konerko is still a mess at the plate, Thomas and Daubach can play 1st.

Konerko needs to find his stroke, because he is the cog of this team. He is like a pitcher coming up there in the middle of the lineup. The Sox have had too many automatic outs to get anything going. Far too many rally killers.

Here is the problem though in a nutshell-

We don't get many hits/walks. We have a .323 OBP collectively as a team. We are hitting .232 with RISP as a team. So that means, the 3.23 times per 10 batters that we get on base, assuming they get into scoring position, we have a 2.32 chance out of 10 to knock them in. The guys that do get on base (Jimenez, Thomas and Ordonez) are usually stranded by Konerko and Crede who are hitting .167 and .219 with RISP respectively. Carlos Lee is the only RBI producer on this team, but he can only get a hit once every 3 times with RISP (baseball averages) . So that means if Carlos Lee isn't up, we can't score.

We hit solo home runs, not the 2 and 3 run variety.

We lead the league in double plays.

We have 10 stolen bases and were cought 7 times.

It really is unbelieveable.

ChiSoxBobette
05-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Interleague play is still a month away; however, it's never too early to think about possible changes to the lineup in preparation for games played in National League parks. With that in mind, I think it is necessary to address the decision to start Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko at first base.

To this point, Frank has performed better than Konerko. His offensive numbers in every major category are superior to those of his younger counterpart. However, Frank has yet to play a regular season game in the field. Manuel has left him as the designated hitter for the entire season, even though Thomas has said he wants to play more games at first.

Paul Konerko has had a rough first six weeks. His batter average has taken a nose dive, and his power numbers are nowhere near what one would expect them to be. However, Konerko has been the starting first baseman for the past four seasons, and his defense has improved since he first began playing the position. Thomas, on the other hand, is a defensive liability.

I would have to agree with getting Frank some time out at 1st base. I also heard last night after the game during Dave Wills post game show that there was some hinting going around the Whit Sox clubhouse that Pauly had hurt his back in the off-season but that Konerko being how he is was still trying to go out there and play everyday. From seeing Pauly playing the last few weeks there has got to be something wrong because even when you think he's really crushed a ball it barely gets to the warning track.

GO WHITE SOX!

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I would have to agree with getting Frank some time out at 1st base. I also heard last night after the game during Dave Wills post game show that there was some hinting going around the Whit Sox clubhouse that Pauly had hurt his back in the off-season but that Konerko being how he is was still trying to go out there and play everyday. From seeing Pauly playing the last few weeks there has got to be something wrong because even when you think he's really crushed a ball it barely gets to the warning track.

GO WHITE SOX!

Put him on the DL then, he is doing a lot more hurting to this team than helping. Daubach will be fine if he gets a lot of at bats.
If Borchard were ready, that would really, really help.

doublem23
05-15-2003, 03:24 PM
There's even a question about this?

Unless Paul pulls his head outta his arse, Frank starts!

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Addressing doublem23's question, I agree that Frank should be the starter at first. There's no question about that. However, I wanted to see what other WSI members were thinking. We are gradually getting closer to interleague play, which means that Frank should be seeing some time first base. Of course, Jerry Manuel has probably changed his mind five hundred times about this issue. The man has no clue what he's doing.

:firejerry

FarmerAndy
05-15-2003, 05:24 PM
I've been curious about this too. Over the past few seasons Frank has had a few starts at 1B in the first month or two. I can't believe that Manuel has not put him out there yet.

Konerko is in a serious funk. We need to start getting Frank some playing time out there so he's ready for interleague play. Some time in the field will be good for Frank too.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I've been curious about this too. Over the past few seasons Frank has had a few starts at 1B in the first month or two. I can't believe that Manuel has not put him out there yet.

Konerko is in a serious funk. We need to start getting Frank some playing time out there so he's ready for interleague play. Some time in the field will be good for Frank too.

Manuel probably thinks that it's not yet necessary to put Frank in the field, but what he fails to realize is that the Sox cannot afford to wait until June for that to happen. Right now, the Sox offense is struggling. Runs are scarce.

In order for this team to get going, they will need as many capable offensive players in the lineup as possible. Daubach looks like he's starting to come around. Maybe he should DH, and Frank should play in the field. Konerko has been playing hurt. His effort is admirable, but it may be hurting the team. Paul needs to rest his injuries so that he may be of more help to the Sox in the second half.

SoxxoS
05-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank should play in the field. Konerko has been playing hurt. His effort is admirable, but it may be hurting the team. Paul needs to rest his injuries so that he may be of more help to the Sox in the second half.

MAY? :?: :D:

jeremyb1
05-15-2003, 06:53 PM
yeah. frank's ops is .964 (which is outstanding by the way) to paully's .623 right now so i'd say its pretty cut and dry.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
MAY? :?: :D:

We do not know the extent of Konerko's injuries. If his back continues to bother him, he may be forced to spend several weeks on the disabled list. It is only May, the All Star break will be here before we know it. If Konerko isn't healthy, I would much rather see him rest now, as opposed to August or September, when the Sox will need him. That's why I said what I said in the post above.

Daver
05-15-2003, 10:13 PM
It's not his back,it is a chronic hip problem,similar to hip dysplatia in some breeds of dog's.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
It's not his back,it is a chronic hip problem,similar to hip dysplatia in some breeds of dog's.

I am aware of Konerko's hip injury. However, there is a rumor circulating that his back is also bothering him. Apparently, he hurt it during the offseason.

gosox41
05-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I am aware of Konerko's hip injury. However, there is a rumor circulating that his back is also bothering him. Apparently, he hurt it during the offseason.


I'm so glad we got him signed for 3 years at roughly $8 mill per. Another stellar KW move. Does someone else want to mention his leadership ability and....

I'll mention that he is a statistically average offensive 1B in the AL over the course of his career who had one above average first half. What's he doen since last July?

Bob