PDA

View Full Version : Just Realized....Konerko is HORRIBLE!

ssang
05-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Check out Paulie's stats for the season. He plays every day and is on pace for a .224 BA, 8 HR, and 46 RBI. That would be one of the worst full seasons in recent memory. Yeah, yeah, yeah he'll snap out of it you all will say. I disagree. He might improve a little but would a .250 BA, 15 HR, and 60 RBI be acceptable for a full-time player??? Hell no! Let me add that he is VERY slow, is a prime candidate to both hit and run into double plays, and his glove is medicore. So all in all, Konerko is a waste of space. I wish the Sox could package him in a deal with some minor league talent or C.Lee for a left handed bat with a little speed. However, I don't see that happening due to both Konerko's stock being really low, and that KW is an ass-clown as a GM (aka he's a total moron). I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Procol Harum
05-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ssang
Check out Paulie's stats for the season. He plays every day and is on pace for a .224 BA, 8 HR, and 46 RBI. That would be one of the worst full seasons in recent memory. Yeah, yeah, yeah he'll snap out of it you all will say. I disagree. He might improve a little but would a .250 BA, 15 HR, and 60 RBI be acceptable for a full-time player??? Hell no! Let me add that he is VERY slow, is a prime candidate to both hit and run into double plays, and his glove is medicore. So all in all, Konerko is a waste of space. I wish the Sox could package him in a deal with some minor league talent or C.Lee for a left handed bat with a little speed. However, I don't see that happening due to both Konerko's stock being really low, and that KW is an ass-clown as a GM (aka he's a total moron). I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Hey, Paulie could get REALLY hot and end up with 20 hrs, a .263 average and 70 rbis--what, those aren't good enough numbers for a full season for ya at 1B in the American League on a team with no speed and poor defense??? Some people! :D:

gosox41
05-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ssang

I always said signing him was a mistake. he's had one great half in his career. Other then that he is statistically an average offensive AL 1B. Now he's worse then that.

Season is about 25% done. Any time he feels like hitting is fine with me.

Bob

MHOUSE
05-15-2003, 11:28 AM
He's going to heat up and do fine. He still has a hip problem and rumours have been heard that he hurt his back in the offseason but is playing through it. He's an above average first baseman when he's on and I think he'll finish with decent numbers. The only problem I had was with the amount of money we gave him. A little high for only a couple of good seasons.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2003, 01:33 PM
It was a mistake to offer Konerko that much money. I think he'll rebound eventually, but the Sox should not be paying him as much as they are. Konerko's trade value is lower than it would normally be because of the contract. His slump isn't helping, either. Most teams would be better off sticking with the players they have at first base, as opposed to paying Konerko's salary.

pudge
05-15-2003, 06:58 PM
I honestly think Konerko's rep with the fans and media played a part - I know it's dumb to offer a contract on that basis, but baseball is a business, and while Frank Thomas and others were busy pissing off fans and media, Konerko answered every question and even provided some spark in the clubhouse. He's a good team guy and has somewhat of a Blue Collar/Mark Grace personality that the fans love. I just wish he'd snap out of this awful slump.

BTW, notice how Frank is Mr. Peaceful all of a sudden because he'll soon be a FA.