PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of a major turnaround has just begun

Fisk72
05-15-2003, 12:39 AM
...according to my brother-in-law. Normally, I wouldn't give much effort to consider this if someone else said it, but evidence shows that perhaps he'll be right. Back in 1994, when the Bears were beating the Vikings pretty good up in Minnesota, he said, "let's make this exciting and see the Vikings pull off the upset." Sure enough, they came from behind and beat the Bears 27-33. A couple years later, we went to see if the Bulls could beat the Hornets and secure an unbeaten home record (back during their 72 win season). Again, the infamous "let's make this intersting" comment came out and, sure enough, the Hornets were the lone loss during the regular season at the UC for the Bulls. So when we were at the game last night, he figured he would take a step closer to even the score by giving a prediction that would benefit Chicago this time. I was a bit of a doubter until the Sox looked pretty good tonight (despite not having Wright get the win :(: )Ok, so this story most likely is a bit lame, but I'm desperate for anything to turn our momentum around. Here's to the sweep tomorrow! :gulp:

MHOUSE
05-15-2003, 12:56 AM
I would love this to be a turnaround, but let's have it carry through the weekend series @ Minnesota. We're dominating an Orioles team that was swept by the AAA Motor City Kitties.

CLR01
05-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
Back in 1994, when the Bears were beating the Vikings pretty good up in Minnesota, he said, "let's make this exciting and see the Vikings pull off the upset." Sure enough, they came from behind and beat the Bears 27-33. :

Not a good example. He could say that every game and he would be right half the time. :o: Lets hope he is right this time though.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I would love this to be a turnaround, but let's have it carry through the weekend series @ Minnesota. We're dominating an Orioles team that was swept by the AAA Motor City Kitties.

I think Baltimore is a pretty good team that isn't playing well right now. I'm happy that we took the first two games because I think losing 2 out of 3 to Baltimore last time is what started our plummet.

Hangar18
05-15-2003, 08:58 AM
I dont know. I thought the same thing when we beat kc 2 of 3.
PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG. Lets go Sox. Im driving 400 miles
tomorrow. destination 1st place

cheeses_h_rice
05-15-2003, 09:13 AM
In the immortal words of someone much wiser than me, "I'll believe it when I see it."

A below .500 team that can only beat up on mediocre teams and that STILL isn't hitting worth a lick is hardly one I'm willing to label a playoff-bound squad, at this juncture.

harwar
05-15-2003, 09:35 AM
For the first time in my life i'm going up the "the skating rink"(as Iron Mike called it)because i believe this could be a huge series for the Sox.If they win tonight and take 2 out of 3 from the twins,this indeed could be the start of good things to come.

LuvSox
05-15-2003, 09:41 AM
I never get any wisdom from my in-laws. :D:

Hangar18
05-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by harwar
For the first time in my life i'm going up the "the skating rink"(as Iron Mike called it)because i believe this could be a huge series for the Sox.If they win tonight and take 2 out of 3 from the twins,this indeed could be the start of good things to come.

Hey Harwar, Look us up. Wilkes and I for sure are going up there. My first time also in the "Roller Dome" this weekend. Im psyched. If the Sox see enough of us Sox Fans There to Support them, and they take the series, maybe .....
just Maybe...........

Clarkdog
05-15-2003, 10:56 AM
Let's hope so - Some good things to see in the last two games:

- Good solid starting pitching. Let's hop Colon can keep it going tonight and Buerhle can have a good start in Minn. Garland is the big question mark but did pitch well against the Twins.

- No errors. This seems obvious but the Sox have a better chance of winning games when they don't make mistakes is the field. Of the Sox victories - only 2 wins came in games where they committed an error. The rest had perfect defensive play. If the Sox make and error it seems that they can't play over it.

- Execution. Love the Rios bunt to move Harris over to score on Alomar's single with 2 outs. DJ was right - Harris' speed scored that run as Matthew's knew he had to come up quick to throw him out - that forced the error.

- Bullpen has been good. Koch hitting 97, and Gordon and Marte throwing lights out the last two nights. That's what this bullpen is capable of. Now if we only figure out what White's problem is.

- The offense had a good inning last night, but needs to be more consistent. It looks like Big Frank made an adjustment, and it may be working - let's hope so. He could really get the offensive engine chugging if he is coming around.

All things considered though - if the Sox can play ball like they have the last two nights - they can get quite a few victories.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Iwritecode
05-15-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by harwar
If they win tonight and take 2 out of 3 from the twins,this indeed could be the start of good things to come.

If they win tonight and take the series this weekend it will surely help getting the momemtum going the right direction again. On the other hand, after the Sox leave, the Twins get to face Oak and Sea both home and away and then the Giants while the Sox get teams like Detroit, Cleveland and Toronto. If there was ever a time where the division will be ripe for the taking, it will be these next couple of weeks.

pudge
05-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hey Harwar, Look us up. Wilkes and I for sure are going up there. My first time also in the "Roller Dome" this weekend. Im psyched. If the Sox see enough of us Sox Fans There to Support them, and they take the series, maybe .....
just Maybe...........

Wow, I can't believe you guys are going up there... I had a hard enough time convincing myself to make the five-minute drive to Safeco field last Sunday... as it turned out, I shouldn't have (although Frank's scoreboard-blast was almost worth it). $90 and three games later, I saw two losses and one lucky win. I sure as heck wouldn't be driving to Minnesota for this team.

:)

TheBigHurt
05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
I really hope this is a turnaround......THOUGH we'll see this weekend agiasnt the Twinkiies BE GOOD

Viva Magglio
05-16-2003, 12:10 AM
After weeks of corpseball, we finally get it together and sweep the Orioles in a very well-played series. We made outs when we had to, and we came through in the clutch. All of the sudden, Jerry Manuel doesn't look like a incompetent Jauron-like manager. Granted, it was the second division Orioles, but didn't Baltimore have a better record than we did coming into this series? In any case, this is quite impressive and much more so than you know who's sweep of the piss poor Milwaukee Brewers.

Not that I necessarily endorse beanball pitching, but I think Bartólo Colón showed tremendous courage in plunking Jerry Hairston, Jr. The warning had already been issued, and Colón knew that if he plunked Hairston he would be gone along with his chance of a complete game. Nevertheless, Bartólo stood up for teammate Mágglio Ordóńez and strengthened the chemical bond inside the Sox clubhouse.

Now we face a tough series this weekend at Minnesota, but we march into the Twin Cities with the best possible team mindset. We really need to carry this into that series and take at least two of three.

hose
05-16-2003, 12:36 AM
just Maybe...........

Hanger the Dome is a terrible baseball facility and the food sucks.

There is a good sports bar right across the street though.

TheBigHurt
05-16-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by hose
There is a good sports bar right across the street though.
I am there :)

doublem23
05-16-2003, 12:57 AM
I really feel like taking a road trip up to Minnesota. :smile:

ma-gaga
05-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I really feel like taking a road trip up to Minnesota. :smile:

yeah, but you're a closet Twins fan... :D:

harwar
05-16-2003, 10:21 AM
just Maybe...........

We're driving up on saturday afternoon and if things go well,we'll be at sat & sundays games.Looking forward to a great series and hope to see a lot of other Sox fans in the crowd.This is our turn-around week and our first step to what could be a WHITE SOX - cubs WORLD SERIES.

koch44
05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
The Hornets were the lone loss during the regular season at the UC for the Bulls.

I think the Bulls also lost to Indiana in the UC at the end of the regular season IIRC.

Fisk72
05-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by koch44
I think the Bulls also lost to Indiana in the UC at the end of the regular season IIRC.

You're right. Just checked basketballreference.com and the Bulls did lose to Indiana for their 2nd and last home loss. Charlotte just broke the unbeaten streak. But that's beside the point. My bro-in-law did a pretty good job by putting a jinx on the Bulls and Bears, and now on the Sox's opponents. Things are starting to look better, and after taking the series this weekend (we'll probably will have a letdown when Garland pitches) we'll be ready to take over 2nd, and then 1st place!

Juan Pizarro
05-16-2003, 12:44 PM
The Metrodome is indeed a terrible place for baseball, but there IS a spot that's nice to watch the game from.
It's not really public knowledge, but the Twins often group out-of-towners who ask in a special section right near the Sox bullpen down the first-base line. We sat in the front row there right after the All-Star break in 2000, and there were a lot of fellow Soxers there.
We got autographs from Howry, Foulke and Garland, who had just been called up. Our 10-month-old son was on Fox Sports Net sleeping in his mom's arms. (Of course, he was wearing a mini-Sox uni).
After the game, Art Kuysner saw us in our Sox gear and tossed us a ball.
It'd be worth your effort trying to get down there. I'm sorry I can't recall the section number, but if you ask at the MAIN ticket window for the "visitors section in right," they might help you out.