PDA

View Full Version : The sox are in a better spot that you probably think

MRKARNO
05-14-2003, 10:53 PM
If the sox play like they have the past few days, then they will have a great chance to take the division by the end of the month. As of now, they're 4.5 games back of KC. If by some miracle, the twins beat the royals tomorrow, and the sox beat the orioles and if the sox sweep the twins this weekend, the sox are right in the thick of it. In addition, the next two weeks (after this weekend) our friends KC and Minn both play oakland and seattle for 12 games while the sox play Toronto two serieses, detroit one series and cleveland one series. Now is the time that the sox can come back and still have a great season. I hope we can look back in september and say, "wow, I can't believe they were that bad in April and May"

doublem23
05-14-2003, 11:01 PM
I agree. We're only a handful of games out... What? 5 1/2? We haven't been hitting for ****, our two best starters have been mired in slumps... This team can be REALLY, really good. I'm not too worried yet.

MRKARNO
05-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I agree. We're only a handful of games out... What? 5 1/2? We haven't been hitting for ****, our two best starters have been mired in slumps... This team can be REALLY, really good. I'm not too worried yet.

4 1/2 after tonight

lowesox
05-14-2003, 11:38 PM
I'm trying to hope that this season isn't as bad as it looks. But when the season started I evaluated this team based on their on paper potential. Now that we're a few months in they don't seem to have the potential to win big games or beat good teams. Maybe that's just an early season thing, but until they go out and beat some good teams, I'm going to be doubtful.

Beating a much better Minnesota team will be their next opportunity to prove they are competitors.

MRKARNO
05-14-2003, 11:49 PM
The last time we played minnesota we took 2 of 3, and we looked like we were going only up. I think if we do the same or better here, we'll be in a good spot for the rest of the season

lowesox
05-14-2003, 11:55 PM
The last time we beat minnesota they were playing even worse than we were. But I do agree with you, if we take 2 out of 3 again this team will have proven that they can rise to the occasion.

jeremyb1
05-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
The last time we beat minnesota they were playing even worse than we were. But I do agree with you, if we take 2 out of 3 again this team will have proven that they can rise to the occasion.

we're still not really hitting well but frank and carlos are showing signs of life and maggs never fails to heat up once the weather gets warm. i'm starting to regain my optimism with this club (nothing like a series against baltimore for that). as long as we stay within about five games of first i think we're in good shape for now because we're going to hit better. its that simple.

dllrbll7
05-15-2003, 04:01 AM
We are just lucky that we are in the central. If we were in any other AL division we would have about 2 other teams to contend with and be back around 7 games. where we stand now, i am not that worried as long as our hitting comes around

MRKARNO
05-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
We are just lucky that we are in the central. If we were in any other AL division we would have about 2 other teams to contend with and be back around 7 games. where we stand now, i am not that worried as long as our hitting comes around

We're in the central and you can thank bud selig every day for it

Kilroy
05-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
The last time we beat minnesota they were playing even worse than we were.

I don't know how they are playing now, nor do I know how KC has been playing. I suspect that they have come back to more normal play, while Minn has played better. The Sox need to get another W tonight, with more hits in the heart of the order. Maggs, PK, can you hear me? And if Carlos Lee could learn to take a base on balls...

Buehrle needs to wake the **** up tomorrow night, and they need to get him a nice 2-3 run lead by the 3rd...

ma-gaga
05-15-2003, 09:58 AM
The Sox should be in first by the end of June.

Don't look ahead to July. Don't look at the Twins schedule in July...

Iwritecode
05-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
The Sox should be in first by the end of June.

Don't look ahead to July. Don't look at the Twins schedule in July...

I just looked at their schedule after the Sox leave town this weekend. at Oak, at Seattle, Oakland, Seattle, at San Fran.

Ouch!

jortafan
05-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I just looked at their schedule after the Sox leave town this weekend. at Oak, at Seattle, Oakland, Seattle, at San Fran.

Ouch!

That's the real trick. The Twins got their butts kicked by the Yankees worse than Seattle and Oakland did to the White Sox. It's very likely the West Coast will do in Minnesota.

My point?

Neither team really deserves to be a contender. But somebody is going to win this division and get a playoff spot by default. Why not our team, if they can get their hitting into gear?

Procol Harum
05-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, this weekend against the Twinks on the rug in the dreaded Baggy Dome should tell us plenty about whether our Sox have it within them to actually make a go of this thing. That place is absolutely constructed in such a way as to highlight all the Twin's strengths and exploit our weaknesses (defense, lack of speed, bad baserunning). And the Twins have been playing well of late.

Two out of 3 in Minnysoda after 2 out of 3 (or, hopefully, a sweep) against the O's would make some of us more skeptical types rethink our skepticism.

Hangar18
05-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Well, this weekend against the Twinks on the rug in the dreaded Baggy Dome should tell us plenty about whether our Sox have it within them to actually make a go of this thing. That place is absolutely constructed in such a way as to highlight all the Twin's strengths and exploit our weaknesses (defense, lack of speed, bad baserunning). And the Twins have been playing well of late.

Two out of 3 in Minnysoda after 2 out of 3 (or, hopefully, a sweep) against the O's would make some of us more skeptical types rethink our skepticism.

Which Is why I hate that dome. Goofy Bounces....Ball Sailling out of there when the Twins bat (they turn on the FANS that hold the dome up) and then turn them OFF when the Visitors bat. bogus.