PDA

View Full Version : Window Of Opportunity....Has it Shut on this team?

Hangar18
05-14-2003, 05:46 PM
If we really think about it, this team is based on the 2000 team.
What was important about 2000? well a few things...
* Very Very Good Starting Pitching. 3 good pitchers and a
a 4th decent one.
* Speed. a .300 hitting Singleton, a quicker Valentin to go with a Durham. this team was very good at making things happen
* Power. A rejuvenated Thomas, an emerging Ordonez, a SMART/UNSELFISH hitting Carlos Lee (using every rbi opportunity)
* Bullpen. Emergence of Foulke made things great.

We only have 1 good pitcher right now, followed by an ok one.
We have no speed. so there goes the hit-and-runs, safety squeeze bunts, great base-running
Our power is just about gone now, with 1 real threat in our lineup
replaced by badplay, everyone swings for the fence mentality
Closer hasnt emerged (maybe) instead weve had 4 games taken away from us by the bullpen.

This team is a hollow shell of the above team. I noticed that the 2000 team, every PLAYER HAD A ROLE. This 2003 team Doesnt have that, with the exception of the BullPen. We have a bunch of filled in players. no more defense, no more Speed.
no more role players on the bench (graff exception) . Its hardly any wonder that were not playing up to the 2000 teams standards. Gone is the .300 speedy centerfielder/who stole us bases. Hes replaced by a .180 hitting minor league Pinch Runner with no arm. Our 2b Ray, Speed/Power a lethal threat (though he slept on defense sometimes) replaced by a .300 hitting and Sloower infielder.
Our LF then was a .300 hitter who was using all fields and moving runners and putting the ball in play. 2003 Lee is striking out and leaving same runners in scoring position. I could go on and on. THE Key parts of that team are MISSING on this team. Everyone is NOW Playing Outside their roles.... No Wonder were Losing

Hangar18
05-14-2003, 05:54 PM
I guess what I was getting at was that CHAMPIONSHIP MINDED Organizations build their TEAMS with the idea of REPLACING KEY PARTS w Same or BETTER parts. Its not a hard concept to grasp. In another thread, I pointed out that from 1991 to 1997, this team was at the brink of doing something to get to the next level, by merely acquiring specific players. They chose to NOT do that 6 of those 7 years (94 was the exception). Where did it get them? Anyway, I believe the window has CLOSED on this current team. There seem to be way too many key parts that were let to SLIP BY/Walk Away and either Replaced with Inferior "Parts"/Not Replaced at ALL. Bummer for sox fans.

fquaye149
05-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

i take issue with this statement. Maybe instead of good you meant exceptional/top tier/future hall of famer, in which case you'd probably be right. However, both Colon and Buehrle remain in the top 25 in the AL for ERA which is one of the few statistics a pitcher can't control. As fly by night as Loaiza might be, he is currently one of the top 3 pitchers in the AL in ERA and the top in wins. BAA too I'm pretty sure. Garland's been pretty worthless and there's major question marks about Wright especially with the injury but he's pitching pretty well tonight. This is a long season and our lack of success will eventually even out if we start playing like we should. It is hard to argue with the talent on this squad in all aspects of the game(except speed). Just because Koch hasn't performed certainly doesn't mean he won't pick up. I have no reason to believe that 7.00 is his real ERA as opposed to his sub-4.00 career era. There's not much reason to believe Konerko will hit .220 all year. Look at it this way: last year at this time we had the central by its balls and things ended much differently than that by September. A lot can happen in 4 months. Give it time(and a regime change) to turn this team around. Don't blame it on lack of talent.

Daver
05-14-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i take issue with this statement. Maybe instead of good you meant exceptional/top tier/future hall of famer, in which case you'd probably be right. However, both Colon and Buehrle remain in the top 25 in the AL for ERA which is one of the few statistics a pitcher can't control. As fly by night as Loaiza might be, he is currently one of the top 3 pitchers in the AL in ERA and the top in wins. BAA too I'm pretty sure. Garland's been pretty worthless and there's major question marks about Wright especially with the injury but he's pitching pretty well tonight. This is a long season and our lack of success will eventually even out if we start playing like we should. It is hard to argue with the talent on this squad in all aspects of the game(except speed). Just because Koch hasn't performed certainly doesn't mean he won't pick up. I have no reason to believe that 7.00 is his real ERA as opposed to his sub-4.00 career era. There's not much reason to believe Konerko will hit .220 all year. Look at it this way: last year at this time we had the central by its balls and things ended much differently than that by September. A lot can happen in 4 months. Give it time(and a regime change) to turn this team around. Don't blame it on lack of talent.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

RKMeibalane
05-14-2003, 08:44 PM
If I had to choose one word to describe the difference between the 2000 Chicago White Sox and their 2003 counterparts, it would be execution.

During the 2000 season, the Sox rarely stranded men on base. This happens at least twice a game with the current team. The 2000 Sox were able to take advantage of every opportunity they had to gain control of a game. Even on nights when the offense struggled, the team found a way win by being patient. This is yet another thing this season's team lacks. The Sox regularly waste scoring opportunities. They depend on the longball far too much for my taste. I enjoy homeruns as much as the next guy, but no team can win a championship solely on the basis of being able to hit a ball over a fence.

Whom do I blame for all of this?

:jerry

"I do like to tinker. It usually doesn't work, though."

WinningUgly!
05-14-2003, 09:07 PM
I'll take the 2003 starting rotation over the 2000 one in a heartbeat. The biggest difference between the '00 team & this current one is the bullpen. The offensive production was obviously much better in 2000, as well...big hits whenever needed. That bullpen always kept games close & allowed the big sticks to chip away & come up with big hits late. The 2000 starting pitching was really nothing special. They were very overated & constantly bailed out by the big offense & great bullpen...Lorenzo Barcelo 3.69, Chad Bradford 1.98, Keith Foulke 2.97, Bobby Howry 3.17, Bill Simas 3.46, Kelly Wunsch 2.93.

guillen4life13
05-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If we really think about it, this team is based on the 2000 team.
What was important about 2000? well a few things...
* Very Very Good Starting Pitching. 3 good pitchers and a
a 4th decent one.
* Speed. a .300 hitting Singleton, a quicker Valentin to go with a Durham. this team was very good at making things happen
* Power. A rejuvenated Thomas, an emerging Ordonez, a SMART/UNSELFISH hitting Carlos Lee (using every rbi opportunity)
* Bullpen. Emergence of Foulke made things great.

We have no speed. so there goes the hit-and-runs, safety squeeze bunts, great base-running
Our power is just about gone now, with 1 real threat in our lineup
replaced by badplay, everyone swings for the fence mentality
Closer hasnt emerged (maybe) instead weve had 4 games taken away from us by the bullpen.

This team is a hollow shell of the above team. I noticed that the 2000 team, every PLAYER HAD A ROLE. This 2003 team Doesnt have that, with the exception of the BullPen. We have a bunch of filled in players. no more defense, no more Speed.
no more role players on the bench (graff exception) . Its hardly any wonder that were not playing up to the 2000 teams standards. Gone is the .300 speedy centerfielder/who stole us bases. Hes replaced by a .180 hitting minor league Pinch Runner with no arm. Our 2b Ray, Speed/Power a lethal threat (though he slept on defense sometimes) replaced by a .300 hitting and Sloower infielder.
Our LF then was a .300 hitter who was using all fields and moving runners and putting the ball in play. 2003 Lee is striking out and leaving same runners in scoring position. I could go on and on. THE Key parts of that team are MISSING on this team. Everyone is NOW Playing Outside their roles.... No Wonder were Losing

I get your point and all, but just one minor (or maybe major) mistake on your part: Singleton had an average in the .250's for 2000. It was '99 when he hit .300.