PDA

View Full Version : Centerfield Prospects

ChiSoxBobette
05-14-2003, 06:43 PM
I think our biggest concern right now should be the centerfield position. Willie Harris is'nt a cf , Aaron Rowand, according to Dave Wills last night while talking to our minor league batting instructor Greg Walker(who by the way should be our Sox team batting instructor);has been up & down while playing for Charlotte. so who do we have down in AA/AAA that could step up. I've heard Ray Durhams brother plays for us Chad. Has anyone seen or heard if he's any good? I think we missed out in the off-season not attempting to sign Jose Cruz Jr. he's playing pretty well for the Giants right now. Or is there someone out there who we could trade for because I think the writing is on the wall about Joe Borchard the earliest we'll see him is probably in Sept.

GO WHITE SOX

MarkEdward
05-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I think our biggest concern right now should be the centerfield position. Willie Harris is'nt a cf , Aaron Rowand, according to Dave Wills last night while talking to our minor league batting instructor Greg Walker(who by the way should be our Sox team batting instructor);has been up & down while playing for Charlotte. so who do we have down in AA/AAA that could step up. I've heard Ray Durhams brother plays for us Chad. Has anyone seen or heard if he's any good? I think we missed out in the off-season not attempting to sign Jose Cruz Jr. he's playing pretty well for the Giants right now. Or is there someone out there who we could trade for because I think the writing is on the wall about Joe Borchard the earliest we'll see him is probably in Sept.

Chad Durham isn't much of a prospect. He might make a team as a fifth outfielder. I think he has some speed, but he doesn't use it well (8 of 15 in stolen base attempts).

Anthony Webster is probably our top center field prospect. John Sickels loves him. However, we won't be seeing him anytime this year (or next year, for that matter).

T Dog
05-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Rowand was doing a good job defensively for the Sox -- certainly better than Harris has done since Rowand was sent down. Harris is playing center because Rowand wasn't hitting, although he was hitting better than Harris has for the Sox. Borchard could probably do better job defensively than Harris, and certainly he couldn't do any worse offensively.

Right now, I think Rowand should be our centerfielder. He should be worrying about Borchard -- not Harris -- taking his job.

duke of dorwood
05-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Rowand s/b in Center-Borchard will be in left as soon as Lee is traded, and Harris should just be gone

Daver
05-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Rowand s/b in Center-Borchard will be in left as soon as Lee is traded, and Harris should just be gone

That makes little sense defensively.

OfficerKarkovice
05-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

The day that Carlos Lee is traded before Paul Konerko I am gonna be pissed...Konerko is the most overrated player we have...with Valentin coming in a close second.

Here's what I do...trade Konerko and maybe some throw ins for some good prospects...then ship a good package of prospects to KC for Beltran. Move Carlos Lee to first base, Maggs to left field, bring up Borchard and put him in right, with Beltran in center. Then our lineup looks like this:

2B - Jiminez
CF - Beltran
DH - Thomas
LF - Ordonez
SS - Valentin
1B - Lee
RF - Borchard
3B - Crede
C - Olivo

lowesox
05-14-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm a huge propoent of getting Encarnacion. But I doubt it'll happen. Although, something will have to happen. Even KW has to see our CF situation isn't working. I like RIos, but giving him the job isn't the answer either.

MHOUSE
05-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
The day that Carlos Lee is traded before Paul Konerko I am gonna be pissed...Konerko is the most overrated player we have...with Valentin coming in a close second.

Here's what I do...trade Konerko and maybe some throw ins for some good prospects...then ship a good package of prospects to KC for Beltran. Move Carlos Lee to first base, Maggs to left field, bring up Borchard and put him in right, with Beltran in center. Then our lineup looks like this:

2B - Jiminez
CF - Beltran
DH - Thomas
LF - Ordonez
SS - Valentin
1B - Lee
RF - Borchard
3B - Crede
C - Olivo

Lineup looks good, but with that hefty contract I don't know who would take Konerko unless it was for just a handful of prospects. Would KC trade Beltran to us? I doubt it. Encarnacion sounds like a good idea and would be cheap. I would like to have Maggs in RF, platoon Rowand/Rios in LF and then get a new CF. When Borchard is ready then he can play RF with Maggs to LF and Rowand/Rios as 4th+5th OF. Lee can either be traded (he's one of our only players whose value isn't at it's lowest) or be moved to 1B if Paulie were gone.

lowesox
05-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Lineup looks good, but with that hefty contract I don't know who would take Konerko unless it was for just a handful of prospects. Would KC trade Beltran to us? I doubt it. Encarnacion sounds like a good idea and would be cheap. I would like to have Maggs in RF, platoon Rowand/Rios in LF and then get a new CF. When Borchard is ready then he can play RF with Maggs to LF and Rowand/Rios as 4th+5th OF. Lee can either be traded (he's one of our only players whose value isn't at it's lowest) or be moved to 1B if Paulie were gone.

Does anybody know the story on Doug Glanville, Timo Perez or Marquis Grissom? I realize that none of these guys are superstars, but they all seem like they could be 'Tony Graffinino-like' pick ups. To me, these are the kinds of CFs we should be looking at.

doublem23
05-14-2003, 10:45 PM
The biggest organizational concerns for the Sox should still be catcher.

hempsox
05-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Does anybody know the story on Doug Glanville, Timo Perez or Marquis Grissom? I realize that none of these guys are superstars, but they all seem like they could be 'Tony Graffinino-like' pick ups. To me, these are the kinds of CFs we should be looking at.

Glanville...is the only one I gave a second thought to...Perez and Grissom are your classic no hit/no field CF.

MHOUSE
05-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I don't know, I think with Olivo coming on we have that covered. He could turn out to be a superstar and just his defense is enough to start him. When his bat and speed kick in then watch out! I think CF is our #1 concern.

Daver
05-14-2003, 11:05 PM
I don't know, I think with Olivo coming on we have that covered. He could turn out to be a superstar and just his defense is enough to start him. When his bat and speed kick in then watch out! I think CF is our #1 concern.

You are completely wrong.

doublem23
05-14-2003, 11:06 PM

One catcher doesn't qualify as an organizational strength in my book.

OfficerKarkovice
05-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by daver

You sure about that?

Daver
05-14-2003, 11:32 PM
You sure about that?

Yes.

lowesox
05-14-2003, 11:34 PM

Care to elaborate why? I think we're fine at the catching position. They don't all have to allstars you know. Olivo looks great. He plays killer defense (which is the most important thing from a catcher), runs well, and is starting to come around offensively too. How can you know him? And Sandy Alomar isn't what he once was but he's more than a serviceable backup catcher. The pitchers respect him. And as he showed tonight, he's able to come up with clutch hits. I think we're strong at catcher. Where do you see flaws?

Daver
05-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Care to elaborate why? I think we're fine at the catching position. They don't all have to allstars you know. Olivo looks great. He plays killer defense (which is the most important thing from a catcher), runs well, and is starting to come around offensively too. How can you know him? And Sandy Alomar isn't what he once was but he's more than a serviceable backup catcher. The pitchers respect him. And as he showed tonight, he's able to come up with clutch hits. I think we're strong at catcher. Where do you see flaws?

You have to look five years ahead at all times with a baseball team,they have nothing in the minors at the catcher position that will ever be decent in the Majors,it is a big weakness.

lowesox
05-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Miguel Olivo looks like he could be the second coming of Pudge in 5 years. If that happens it won't matter who else is in this system. How many stud catchers do you think are required in an organization?

Plus, if the sox don't win this year they're going to dismantle this team and start from scratch. You can draft a college catcher and have him ready in a couple of years. Not to mention catching prospects seem to be one of the easier prospects to trade for.
-- It only took a middle reliever to get Olivo.

I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about our catchers.

MarkEdward
05-14-2003, 11:48 PM

Some opinions:

Glanville: Um, no. Rowand's a better option, and that's saying something.

Perez: Best option of the three (talk about damning with faint praise). Little defense, some pop, similar to Rios.

Grissom: I don't think that the Giants would give him up very easily, seeing as though they just signed him this off-season.

If we want to go for a real center fielder, we should spurge and take Brad Wilkerson. All other players would be as frivolous as bringing in Rick White.

lowesox
05-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
If we want to go for a real center fielder, we should spurge and take Brad Wilkerson. All other players would be as frivolous as bringing in Rick White.

If we want to go out and get a real center fielder there are probably 20 guys who are better than the three I named. But the point is, I think we might be better off making a lower profile acquisition. Somebody who comes cheap. After all what we need right now is a role player. And Borchard should be ready anytime soon.

Daver
05-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Miguel Olivo looks like he could be the second coming of Pudge in 5 years. If that happens it won't matter who else is in this system. How many stud catchers do you think are required in an organization?

Plus, if the sox don't win this year they're going to dismantle this team and start from scratch. You can draft a college catcher and have him ready in a couple of years. Not to mention catching prospects seem to be one of the easier prospects to trade for.
-- It only took a middle reliever to get Olivo.

I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about our catchers.

It took a middle releiver to get Olivo because KW beat Beane.

The Sox have drafted two quality catchers in the last four years and failed to sign either one of them.

And Olivo is an injury away from having Josh Paul as your backup catcher.

This team needs to draft for that position in a big way,because they have no one in the minors that is capable of playing at this level,ever.

But I know nothing about baseball.

OfficerKarkovice
05-15-2003, 12:01 AM
You have to look five years ahead at all times with a baseball team,they have nothing in the minors at the catcher position that will ever be decent in the Majors,it is a big weakness.

You don't even know who is going to be with our team, in our minors, or whatever in 5 years...you can't predict that far ahead.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 12:06 AM
And Olivo is an injury away from having Josh Paul as your backup catcher.

Q: What happens if any player on the Sox roster gets injured?

A: You're forced to bring in a lesser player.

Let's remember that Catcher happens to be one position where veteran players are usually more dependable anyways. Usually, you don't want to expect anything higher that .250 from a catcher because all that matters is defence and the handling of the pitchers. There's are several cheap catchers that can give you that.

It wouldn't make sense to have two killer major league catchers like Pudge ROdriguez and Charles Johnson in one organization, but it seems like that's what you're arguing for, and that's rediculous.

doublem23
05-15-2003, 12:09 AM
You don't even know who is going to be with our team, in our minors, or whatever in 5 years...you can't predict that far ahead.

But you do have to prepare for it...

Like daver said, the Sox are one injury to Olivo to having a catching platoon at the MLB of Sandy Alomar, Jr. and Josh Paul.

In a word... WEAKNESS

Daver
05-15-2003, 12:12 AM

As a GM you have to think that far ahead,and it takes six years for a minor leaguer to reach FA,so you have to know who to let go.

Daver
05-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Q: What happens if any player on the Sox roster gets injured?

A: You're forced to bring in a lesser player.

OK,but be in a position that the lesser player is not a complete waste of time,especially at the catcher position,this is the most important position on the field.Right now the Sox are nowhere close to being in this position.

But I don't know anything about baseball.

lowesox
05-15-2003, 08:00 AM
OK,but be in a position that the lesser player is not a complete waste of time,especially at the catcher position,this is the most important position on the field.Right now the Sox are nowhere close to being in this position.

But I don't know anything about baseball.

If Miguel Olivo gets hurt for two weeks Josh Paul isn't going to hurt you that badly. If he gets hurt for a longer period of time, then you go out and get the kind of veteran I was talking about before.

Randar68
05-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

They could draft 8 of them, but they will only sign the cheapest one with the least talent.

When Tony Richie comes out, he will be a top 2 round draft pick, and we had him in the 5th and couldn't/wouldn't sign him away from FSU.

34 Inch Stick
05-15-2003, 11:40 AM
FSU pays more.

Anyway, back to centerfield. What about Jose Guillen of the Reds. Griffey is back and he will not take a position from Kearns, Dunn or Griffey. He is hitting well this year and has played well in centerfield.