PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance of the White Sox getting....

ssang
05-14-2003, 07:30 AM
A good hitting left handed hitter, a speedster, and/or a GOOD defensive player either this season or next? I know that we're probably screwed as far as this seasons acqusitions go because no one has any trade value. However, will the Sox be willing to pay for one, two or all three of these things in the lineup next year? I mean, our offense is sooooooooo bad that we're slowly becoming the worst in baseball !!! (minus the Tigers). Free Agents anyone? And I don't wanna hear any crap like "Konerko will come around" , "Frank will end up putting up great numbers", or C.Lee is on the cusp" If you are one of those people then you're living on fantasy island, sipping drinks with Tattoo! Wake-up. If Konerko starred in a movie it would be called As Mediocre as it Gets , Frank's better days are WAY behind him, and Carlos is plain old dumb out there. DISCUSS

hold2dibber
05-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by ssang
A good hitting left handed hitter, a speedster, and/or a GOOD defensive player either this season or next? I know that we're probably screwed as far as this seasons acqusitions go because no one has any trade value. However, will the Sox be willing to pay for one, two or all three of these things in the lineup next year? I mean, our offense is sooooooooo bad that we're slowly becoming the worst in baseball !!! (minus the Tigers). Free Agents anyone? And I don't wanna hear any crap like "Konerko will come around" , "Frank will end up putting up great numbers", or C.Lee is on the cusp" If you are one of those people then you're living on fantasy island, sipping drinks with Tattoo! Wake-up. If Konerko starred in a movie it would be called As Mediocre as it Gets , Frank's better days are WAY behind him, and Carlos is plain old dumb out there. DISCUSS

Ah, good ol' ssang - we can always count on you to get the action going around here.

But seriously, do you really think Konerko will finish the year hitting .222 with an OPS just over .600? Even if you feel he is only mediocre, the fact is he's been a consistent .285, 30 HR, 90 RBI guy for years. He is not a .222 hitter. So he likely will come around, even if you think "coming around" only makes him mediocre.

Frank's better days are behind him, but I still think he'll hit 25 HRs, drive in 90 runs and bat .275 with an OPS near .900.

Lee will put up the same numbers he always does - .270, 24, 85.

By the way, the guy you're looking for (speed, lefty, etc.) might be Joe Borchard. The Sox certainly are counting on him being that guy. If he doesn't pan out, the Sox will have some serious problems, because they will HAVE to go out and get someone who has those attributes (which would make signing guys like Colon and Buehrle all the more difficult).

MHOUSE
05-14-2003, 08:38 AM
I would like to say that they will come around because they all can't be this bad all year long. They should fire Gary Ward and see if that sparks something.

I agree that overall changes need to be made and we definately need a LH bat, speed, and a CF. I dunno if we could get all three in one player or two maybe, but we need to do something. Borchard will be in the outfield next season and that makes Lee expendable if we can get a CF. J.D. Drew has been mentioned and an OF of Maggs, Drew, and Borchard would be cool. Marrero is on the DL, but I heard him mentioned as well. Who else?