PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Announce 3:30 news Conference

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Just got a call from someone listening to the radio. Is this true?

balz1472
05-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Do you know what station that was supposedly reported on? Just out of curiosity? :?:

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by balz1472
Do you know what station that was supposedly reported on? Just out of curiosity? :?:

no, but I called the Sox, and theyre Clueless (arent they really?)
about it, but I think it has to do with Kenny meeting with the Team and JM at 3:30 today. probably nothing. DAMMIT.

Unregistered
05-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
no, but I called the Sox, and theyre Clueless (arent they really?)
about it, but I think it has to do with Kenny meeting with the Team and JM at 3:30 today. probably nothing. DAMMIT. But still, it's not like you're gonna call over there and they'd say "Oh yeah, I'm glad you called. Jerry's getting the axe today. Pass it on."

Kilroy
05-13-2003, 02:25 PM
They don't call press conferences to talk about a team meeting. if there is such a press conference, then something is going on.

Viva Magglio
05-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Just got a call from someone listening to the radio. Is this true?

It it possible that your friend may have confused a press conference with the Williams-Manuel meeting? On WSCR, George Ofman has said nothing about a press conference. He mentioned the meeting, however. As for WMVP, I just checked their last update (1:20 p.m.) which had nothing because it sounded like a national and not local update.

DustyIsOverated1
05-13-2003, 02:30 PM
quit screwin around hanger, don't post this kinda stuff unless you know for sure. You jerkin everyone around, find out the facts and post them please

RKMeibalane
05-13-2003, 02:33 PM
:firejerry

FoulTerritory
05-13-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't think there is a press conference scheduled. I just caught the WSCR news update, and there was no mention of a press conference.

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Yup, think my coworker jumped the gun. he knows us SoxFans
are Praying and Waiting for Kenny/Jerry to both get the Axe

steff
05-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I just got confirmation that the Sox clubhouse is OFF LIMITS to the media.. something is up.

Viva Magglio
05-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
I just got confirmation that the Sox clubhouse is OFF LIMITS to the media.. something is up.

That could be for just a team meeting which I think is in the plans for today anyway.

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
quit screwin around hanger, don't post this kinda stuff unless you know for sure. You jerkin everyone around, find out the facts and post them please

SORRY Everyone. thats why I posted it is "is this true?"

MetalliSox
05-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
That could be for just a team meeting which I think is in the plans for today anyway.

Crud, we had like 50 of these last year and they never helped.

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Ohhhh the suspense!!!

If it's just a meeting I hope JM is telling the guys that winning 15+ of these next 20 games against sub-par teams (except 3 games at Minn.) will get us in contention....losing 10+ will really end the season.

gosox41
05-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

I called the Sox PR deptartment and they knew of no schedule press conference.

Too bad.

Bob

DustyIsOverated1
05-13-2003, 03:57 PM
I don't think the pr department would tell you anything, no offence.

By the way, has anyone thought about manuel resigning???

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 04:13 PM
I don't think the pr department would tell you anything, no offence.

By the way, has anyone thought about manuel resigning???

Maybe theyve Taken the "REGIME CHANGE" to heart, and will discuss who is packing the boxes, whos moving what etc.

mandmandm
05-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Dan McNeil just report that JM will address the media at 4:00 PM.

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Dan McNeil just report that JM will address the media at 4:00 PM.

Has Jerry Manuel ever addressed the media at 4pm before ???
I wonder how significant this is ....

moochpuppy
05-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Anything happening?

A.T. Money
05-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I have ESPN 1000 on right now, and haven't heard anything yet.

moochpuppy
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
I heard that WGN radio is broadcasting this.

hose
05-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Anything happening?

Jerry is taking a nap right now.

BeerHandle
05-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Does anyone really know or are you trying to act like the New York Times Journalist that got busted lying and developing false stories!?!?

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Does anyone really know or are you trying to act like the New York Times Journalist that got busted lying and developing false stories!?!?

Heh Heh. Jayson Blair reporting from the Cell......
but seriously. Dont think theres a story here folks. Break it up..
move on , nothing to see here.....

A.T. Money
05-13-2003, 05:19 PM
WGN isn't broadcasting it.

A.T. Money
05-13-2003, 05:21 PM
ESPN 1000 just had an update and no mention of it. WGN isn't mentioning it either.

Chisoxfn
05-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
WGN isn't broadcasting it.
No, I just heard Kaplan during the sports break mention what was going on. Then it went back to some other show.

A.T. Money
05-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
No, I just heard Kaplan during the sports break mention what was going on. Then it went back to some other show.

And what was said?

Chisoxfn
05-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
And what was said?

Mentioned that Ken Williams was getting ready to come out and then said something about Manuel in regards to the middle of the lineup.

I don't know if he was mentioning a previous quote or if it was something Manuel said during the conference (He could of been saying he's going to change the middle of the lineup). Then he said they were going to have interviews from both at 5:00.

DustyIsOverated1
05-13-2003, 05:28 PM
The press conference is about kenny w's kids problems in Durham

thats it.

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 05:30 PM

thats it.

DARN!!! Like I give a rat's butt about KW's family issues. He really does think he's important doesn't he???? :angry:

How about talking about how much this team sucks!!! :angry:

LuvSox
05-13-2003, 05:31 PM
This whole thread proves how desperate us fans are to hear about some changes. All we want to do is win for once. I wish I could smack some sense into this regime.

Chisoxfn
05-13-2003, 05:31 PM

thats it.

Did you hear that or is that what your thinking? I heard Kaplan mentoin that he though Williams was going to talk about it, but he also mentioned that Manuel was going to be saying something too.

DustyIsOverated1
05-13-2003, 05:35 PM
that info is per wmvp.

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Obviously, there IS a press conference.........Just not the the Conference we want to here. Damn. Well, if its any consolation, at least now were catching the Cubs as far as Press Conferences about Dustys kid, and what that cute little scamp is
up to? What time is Darrens Conference tonite?

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
This whole thread proves how desperate us fans are to hear about some changes. All we want to do is win for once. I wish I could smack some sense into this regime.

:reinsy

You Want Changes??? HA HA HA HA!!!

Foulke You
05-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
:reinsy

You Want Changes??? HA HA HA HA!!!

:ohno
"Arghhhh!!!"

DustyIsOverated1
05-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Here we go with all the anti- reinsdorf campaign

HELLLLOOOoO! It isn't anyones fault but the players and the manager and coaching staff...

Those are the two groups that are responcible for below average play. PERIOD

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 05:49 PM

HELLLLOOOoO! It isn't anyones fault but the players and the manager and coaching staff...

I agree...but as they say "you can't fire 27 players, but you can fire the coaching staff.".

The coaching staff should be fired and that's Reinsdorf's job,

hold2dibber
05-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Well, JR hires the management, which in turn chooses the manager/coaching staff and the players. Plus, as much as this year's crappy performance so far is primarily the responsibility of the players and coaches, let's not forget about the past 20 years of management blunder after management blunder, which are directly attributable to JR.

DustyIsOverated1
05-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Well, JR hires the management, which in turn chooses the manager/coaching staff and the players. Plus, as much as this year's crappy performance so far is primarily the responsibility of the players and coaches, let's not forget about the past 20 years of management blunder after management blunder, which are directly attributable to JR.

We pick and ultimatly hire the president of the United States, if he messes up--is that our fault. Quit you complaining....A good owner keeps clear of situations like this for good reasons. No coach/player want their owner to be an "in your face" kinda guy. It's not the way the system works. Blame Manny, Ward, Coop, Kusch, and the players.

Chisoxfn
05-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I was gonna inform everyone you all that ESPN Radio said the press conference will be at 5 Oclock, which is why no one could figure out what was said, lol.

This is second hand info, by the way.

MarqSox
05-13-2003, 06:08 PM
We pick and ultimatly hire the president of the United States, if he messes up--is that our fault.

Yes, if you voted for him.

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 06:11 PM
We pick and ultimatly hire the president of the United States, if he messes up--is that our fault.

Yes, it is the fault of the people...that is the people that picked him! :D:

:)

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Yes, if you voted for him.

Beat me to it!!! :D:

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Well, Im glad someone brought that up. I for one, DIDNT VOTE
for Jerry Reinsdorf. I voted for Eddie DeBartolo for Owner.

hold2dibber
05-13-2003, 06:18 PM
We pick and ultimatly hire the president of the United States, if he messes up--is that our fault. Quit you complaining....A good owner keeps clear of situations like this for good reasons. No coach/player want their owner to be an "in your face" kinda guy. It's not the way the system works. Blame Manny, Ward, Coop, Kusch, and the players.

I agree that the owner should stay clear of day-to-day on-field and personnel issues. It is not JR's fault that Konerko's OPS is currently about what you would expect from a pitcher in the NL. However, it is JR's fault that instead of going out and hiring top-shelf, proven management, he went out and hired untested management (JM and KW) and let the White Sox be their training ground. It is JR's fault that he has set payroll constraints that make it difficult to contend. And it is JR's fault that he has so alienated fans with a surreal series of PR blunders over the last 20 years that he has nearly lost an entire generation of potential Sox fans.

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, Im glad someone brought that up. I for one, DIDNT VOTE
for Jerry Reinsdorf. I voted for Eddie DeBartolo for Owner.

Can you imagine if DeBartolo had been owner during the 80s???

We'd have been the 49ers of baseball...at least 3 world championships! Coulda, Shoulda.... :whiner: :whiner:

Foulke You
05-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Quit you complaining....A good owner keeps clear of situations like this for good reasons. No coach/player want their owner to be an "in your face" kinda guy. It's not the way the system works.

You're right, that Mark Cuban guy in Dallas really sucks. He'll never take the lowly Mavericks anywhere with that high profile in your face attitude of his. Why would we want with an owner like that for the Sox?

WhiteSox = Life
05-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
You're right, that Mark Cuban guy in Dallas really sucks. He'll never take the lowly Mavericks anywhere with that high profile in your face attitude of his. Why would we want with an owner like that for the Sox?

Maybe an owner who is like that from the beginning, but JR is not one to do that.

"Pulling the" Reins right now would do nothing, except add more contempt inside the team and create more havoc.

It's better he stays out of this.

However, he could get in by firing a bunch of coaches and a certain GM, also. There's no need for face-to-face confrontations on inner-team problems. That's not an owner's job unless the team's playing and their situation becomes totally unacceptable...

Come to think of it, it's getting very close to that point...

:?:

Foulke You
05-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Maybe an owner who is like that from the beginning, but JR is not one to do that.

"Pulling the" Reins right now would do nothing, except add more contempt inside the team and create more havoc.

It's better he stays out of this.

However, he could get in by firing a bunch of coaches and a certain GM, also. There's no need for face-to-face confrontations on inner-team problems. That's not an owner's job unless the team's playing and their situation becomes totally unacceptable...

Come to think of it, it's getting very close to that point...

:?:

Agreed. I wasn't necessarily saying that JR should act like Mark Cuban. I was just illustrating a point to Dustyisoverrated who made a blanket statement about how owners should act and how the players want them to act. I'm willing to bet that Mark Cuban is a hero in Dallas to the fans and his players like him AND his in your face involvment with all things Mavericks.

WhiteSox = Life
05-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Agreed. I wasn't necessarily saying that JR should act like Mark Cuban. I was just illustrating a point to Dustyisoverrated who made a blanket statement about how owners should act and how the players want them to act. I'm willing to bet that Mark Cuban is a hero in Dallas to the fans and his players like him AND his in your face involvment with all things Mavericks.

Exactly.

However, it seems to me that no matter what ownership runs the White Sox, it doesn't quite get them to "Point C."

Mark Cuban is a very charismatic owner. That can be a good thing to a certain extent. His public comments and running on the court are a couple of his incidents. I don't know how his players felt about that. It'd be interesting to find out.

I think, most of all, players want an owner who cares about the team first and the business a far second. And, just as important, remains consistent in his or her stances on team issues, payroll, etc.

You look at Reinsdorf. The players know he's generally going to stay out of their business and not spend much more than $50 million or so. However, when he thinks his park is going to attract a lot of attention and, ergo, a lot of customers, he decides its okay to try to field a winning product through effort, rather than an approach where he gets talent and hopes it comes together.

Baseball, like all other sports, is a game of consistency. That stretches from the owner(s) to the players to the manager to the field crew.

Fans tend to not stay consistent. In fact, that's one thing about the posters at WSI. They're not overly consistent. There is nothing wrong with that, though. Opinions and comments change depending upon what's going on in the field. They don't call White Sox Interactive "Totally Biased, Utterly Petty, Completely Unobjective" for nothing.

That is all. What was supposed to be about owners has metamorphosed to a consistency post. Oh, well.

:)

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Watching the Sox on WCIU and they just interviewed Williams who talked about how he doesn't want the scrutiny of his job to carry over to his family and affected the "innocence" of his children. He has 3? 16, 14, 12 I think is what he said. He said some talks need to be had in the Williams house about his job and stuff. Could this be the "family reasons" that were rumoured to be why he was going to resign or take a different job? Sounds like he's leaking some hints here and maybe something will happen after these arrests and all. Keep your ears open people.

LuvSox
05-13-2003, 10:01 PM
If that's all it takes to get KW out I would've framed his two felons a long time ago :D:

DustyIsOverated1
05-14-2003, 09:56 AM

The Bulls won 6 championships with riensdorf staying out of the way......theres your hero.

steff
05-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Man, o, man... the claws sure do come out sharp, and swinging, on some of you.

rmusacch
05-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Watching the Sox on WCIU and they just interviewed Williams who talked about how he doesn't want the scrutiny of his job to carry over to his family and affected the "innocence" of his children. He has 3? 16, 14, 12 I think is what he said. He said some talks need to be had in the Williams house about his job and stuff. Could this be the "family reasons" that were rumoured to be why he was going to resign or take a different job? Sounds like he's leaking some hints here and maybe something will happen after these arrests and all. Keep your ears open people.

I think he has more than that. The article when his kids got arrested mentioned that they were 16 and 21 IIRC and another was graduating from Duke.