PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Lofton

xil357
05-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Can someone explain why Kenny Lofton was traded last season? I have heard rumors that he was a bad clubhouse presence, but what exactly did he do to get shipped off?

I know that he is nowhere near the player he was during the 90s with the Indians, but I saw him play on television against the Astros last night and he looked good. I also saw him in person last May with the Sox against the Rangers. In both games he covered a lot of ground in center and displayed a strong arm -- the most important attributes for a center fielder.

doublem23
05-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Can someone explain why Kenny Lofton was traded last season? I have heard rumors that he was a bad clubhouse presence, but what exactly did he do to get shipped off?

Generally, you try and get rid of older players in firesales.

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Hitting wise, he stunk in May and June. Wouldve been good to keep him on the bench possibly, instead of South Side Willie....
but alas, Kenny had other ideas.

steff
05-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Well.. my word might be mud here these days.. :(: , but Kenny was a great clubhouse presence.. just didn't fit into KW's plans. And him and Frank were friends. Anyone who is friends with Frank and doesn't have an iron clad contract should be looking over their shoulders at all times.

Dadawg_77
05-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Well.. my word might be mud here these days.. :(: ,

I wouldn't worry, I don't BMR is over here anymore.

Daver
05-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Well.. my word might be mud here these days..

No Steff,it isn't,you can only share the info you have,you can't guarantee the outcome.

Iwritecode
05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Well.. my word might be mud here these days.. :(:

Yea steff, what's going on here?!? You reported something and it never happened. You suck!

Seriously though, have you heard any more? I read today that KW is flying back to Chicago after reading about the little media spar between Frank and JM. That sure doesn't sound good...

hose
05-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Well.. my word might be mud here these days.. :(: , but Kenny was a great clubhouse presence.. just didn't fit into KW's plans. And him and Frank were friends. Anyone who is friends with Frank and doesn't have an iron clad contract should be looking over their shoulders at all times.

Why would your word be mud ?

I always enjoy reading your posts.

FarmerAndy
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Kenny isn't all that great anymore, but I'd take him in CF over anybody we've got. These days he doesn't have a hefty price tag either.

lowesox
05-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Kenny isn't all that great anymore, but I'd take him in CF over anybody we've got. These days he doesn't have a hefty price tag either.

Good point. Kenny is the exact type of player this team is missing, and we gave him up for who again?

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 08:49 PM
Kenny had an awesome April and then couldn't hit worth beans. He's was an older player and they generally get traded in fire sales and he wasn't going to be resigned. Good move by JM.