PDA

View Full Version : Parque Potshots

DrCrawdad
05-13-2003, 07:24 AM
Sun-Times article... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol13.html)

"I'm happy,'' he said. "This feels like the perfect fit for me. The coaching staff is outstanding, my teammates all get along and I feel like I have a role again.''

Consider that a gentle dig against the Sox. Always open and honest about his feelings when he was with the Sox, Parque continues to be. But he isn't harboring a grudge against his former organization. He's feeling too good to bother.

There must be a congaline of reporters waiting to get quotes from ex-Sox players where they play a good game, go on a streak, and then take shots at the Sox.

Where's Jeff Liefer now? Why is no media telling us who Liefer is doing now?

MarqSox
05-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sun-Times article... (http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol13.html)

There must be a congaline of reporters waiting to get quotes from ex-Sox players where they play a good game, go on a streak, and then take shots at the Sox.

Must be part of the anti-Sox media conspiracy, since the same never happens to the Cubs. <cough> Mark Grace <cough>

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2003, 09:58 AM
It is a perfect fit. They expect nothing of Parque and he, in turn produces nothing.

Still, I wouldn't get too comfortable Jimmy. Even on the D-Rays a 9 ERA gets you sent to the minors.

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 10:09 AM
In three games he has a 9 something era. Not good Jimbo! He had that one good outing of like 5-6 scoreless innings IIRC, but I don't think we have to worry about this ex-sox having MLB success. :D:

Also: Jeff Liefer is batting .185 in 23 games (65 at-bats). He only has 14 RBIS and 2HR, most of which came in his hot start. He's back to the Jeff Liefer of old and good riddance! I'd rather have Daubach instead.

Bobby Thigpen
05-13-2003, 10:13 AM
He's back to the Jeff Liefer of old and good riddance! I'd rather have Daubach instead.

Can we have neither? They both suck.

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Can we have neither? They both suck.

At least Daubach has experience and numbers to prove he can do it. He's starting to play better and will come around. Liefer was always going to be good, but I have a feeling he never will be.

Bobby Thigpen
05-13-2003, 10:32 AM
At least Daubach has experience and numbers to prove he can do it.

My question about Daubach to all of those who like him (obviously I don't), is this, If he is such a proven commodity with stats and experience to back him up, then why were the Sox the team to sign him? If he's so good why didn't anyone else pick him up?

Procol Harum
05-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
My question about Daubach . . . If he is such a proven commodity with stats and experience to back him up, then why were the Sox the team to sign him? If he's so good why didn't anyone else pick him up?

A damning indictment, if ever there was one--if WE were able to sign him, how good could he be?

Unregistered
05-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
In three games he has a 9 something era. Not good Jimbo! He had that one good outing of like 5-6 scoreless innings IIRC, but I don't think we have to worry about this ex-sox having MLB success. :D: He had a no-hitter into the top of the 7th in his last start, IIRC. It was, however, against the Tigers.

DrCrawdad
05-13-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Must be part of the anti-Sox media conspiracy, since the same never happens to the Cubs. <cough> Mark Grace <cough>

I don't mean that it's a conspiracy. I never said, or IMO implied, that at all.

The Cubs have had a few guys blast their former organization. Funny thing is though is that most people that I've heard dismiss it. With the Sox it seems to me that the media is just waiting and wanting former Sox players to blast the Sox. I don't have a complete list but some that come to mind are Leifer, Biddle (although Rocky didn't really blast the Sox), Sirotka, Kip Wells, Foulke and now Parque. These players left the Sox organization and then took their turns on the Sox.

I heard an interview on ESPN Radio with Foulke. Jurkowitz kept feeding Foulke with questions like, "Aren't you glad to be away from the Sox..." The same goes with their interview with Ray Durham. They kept trying to get Ray to attack the Sox. Ray didn't really take the bait so then the interviewer went into how the NL is so much better.

It's not all the media's fault. The Sox organization is probably largely to blame for the negative cloud that hovers over the Sox.

soxgal40
05-13-2003, 05:19 PM
this message is for all of you that hate parque. fist, i love jim parque. he is the main reason why i became a die hard sox fan. next, he came off of the DL last friday, and pitched a game. he went 6 innings without one hit, and in the seventh, he had one hit and was taken out of the game. he had 57 strikeouts out of about 100 pitches. sure, he pitched against detroit, but still. a win is a win...right? so i don't know why you people are complaining so much about parque, because it doesn't look like the white sox pitching staff is doing much better. oh, i don't remember if i mentioned this, but jimmy just came off of the DL that day. so yeah, please remember that next time.

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by soxgal40
this message is for all of you that hate parque. fist, i love jim parque. he is the main reason why i became a die hard sox fan. next, he came off of the DL last friday, and pitched a game. he went 6 innings without one hit, and in the seventh, he had one hit and was taken out of the game. he had 57 strikeouts out of about 100 pitches. sure, he pitched against detroit, but still. a win is a win...right? so i don't know why you people are complaining so much about parque, because it doesn't look like the white sox pitching staff is doing much better. oh, i don't remember if i mentioned this, but jimmy just came off of the DL that day. so yeah, please remember that next time.

I always thought they Rushed him back. And that seeing he was Injured, they NEVER shouldve counted him being the #3 guy and healthy. That was DUMB OF THE WHITE SOX. HOWEVER, Parque did shoot his mouth off that he was ready to play and wanted to PITCH ALSO. He wasnt Ready. I admire him wanting to Play though, the guys a BULLDOG. they shouldnt have released him before another season was under his belt. Then AGAIN, we shouldve kept David Wells too. He offered to come back CHEAP, feeling bad he didnt give the sox fans their Worth.
what did he have .....16 wins last year? they wouldve helped us.

Unregistered
05-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Then AGAIN, we shouldve kept David Wells too. He offered to come back CHEAP, feeling bad he didnt give the sox fans their Worth.
what did he have .....16 wins last year? they wouldve helped us. 19, actually. But those are YANKEES numbers, and count for nothing in the outside baseball world.

Hullett_Fan
05-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
19, actually. But those are YANKEES numbers, and count for nothing in the outside baseball world.

LMAO! I'll try to do the math:

19 wins with Yankees = 11 Wins with Sox according to my calculations. :D:

And yes, Parque was a bulldog...but a fool for spouting his mouth off and demanding to pitch in majors before he was 100%. Good Riddance!!!

duke of dorwood
05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Has he pitched against Seattle yet?

T Dog
05-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Parque wasn't well-liked by his Sox teammates because of things he said while he was with the team. He wasn't well-liked by a couple of his coaches because he had an attitude that he was only supposed to pitch five innings as a starting pitcher. Some thought it was the Sox fault that he was what he was because he had been pampered. If being cut loose by the Sox forces him to grow up professionally, then the Sox will have done him a favor.

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 09:50 PM
He always ran his mouth. Remember the PBJ comments? Sheesh!

Risk
05-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Parque has some serious gall to bad mouth his former team, but who cares--he was a dog even when he was healthy--I never expected much from him, kind of like Dan Wright.

If you're pitching for TB, you have to figure you're on possibly your last leg, which I'm sure Parque is (but who knows, 4 yrs from now he could be like Steve Avery and pitch for Detroit or some other dead team). Remember, this was the little b**** that gave up 3 bombs to Mike Cameron with that blazing 82 mph fast ball. Give me a break. Hey, Jimmy, go back to being injured, since the only thing you've ever shown to have been worthy of was wasting and rotting on the DL.

Risk

Juan Pizarro
05-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Is Parque up to 80 mph on the gun yet?
Who cares what he thinks? Stick a fork in him, 'cause he's done.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Has he pitched against Seattle yet?

Phaw!!! Forget about Seattle, how about Toronto? Butter's line from today's game versus the Jays:

IP: 2.1
H: 7
ER: 5
BB: 3
K: 4
HR: 1

Yeah, he looks like he definitely belongs in an MLB rotation. He's showing us.

MHOUSE
05-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I was just going to post that. He got ROCKED today. Wow 10.80 ERA. When you're bombing out with the Devil Rays, I think it's the beginning of the end for Jim. I don't care how good of an 80 mph fastball he has. :D:

WhiteSoxWinner
05-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Phaw!!! Forget about Seattle, how about Toronto? Butter's line from today's game versus the Jays:

BB: 3
K: 4
HR: 1

Yeah, he looks like he definitely belongs in an MLB rotation. He's showing us.

Something to be said for consistency ...Line versus Texas:

BB: 0
K: 1
HR: 0

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Something to be said for consistency ...Line versus Texas:

BB: 0
K: 1
HR: 0

LOL! He's consistently GODAWFUL! Damn 11.24 ERA or something like that. Is there a worse "starting pitcher" in the majors? Even the Devil Rays can't stand for this. Of course they're so bad that he didn't even get the loss. Wow.

StillMissOzzie
05-22-2003, 01:53 AM
Yes, Parque has been stinking up the place in Tampa Bay. It must be nice to be earning (at least) the MLB minimum $300K while rehabbing for a"real" job, as if he could get one w/ some other team with this stuff

MHOUSE
05-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Parque was sent to the minors today. He had decent numbers in 19 innings of rehab, a 1.42 ERA. Then he obiviously bombed in the majors going 1-1 with an 11.24 ERA in 5 starts. Will he ever be back?