PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Bradley Joseph's Latest Article

AngelLeroy
05-13-2003, 04:52 AM
I found this article to be extremely interesting. The point that really made an impression was that Lee, Konerko and Valentin have all dropped off in key areas since 2000. They're hitting more home runs, but have dropped in OBP, average, runs scored, and RBIs. While the link between this downfall in production and HRs is admittedly tenuous, it could easily be part of the problem. I think that the whole team needs to focus on just making contact and going with the pitch, rather than trying to hit everything in the gap or over the fence. I think this team has forgotten that big innings aren't always walk, walk, 3-run bomb. What do you guys think?

South Sider
05-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Walk, walk, dinger isn't that bad....!
The only problem is it never happens 'cause nobody shows patience at the plate

A typical Sox inning this year goes more like that

Pop out, ground out, single or homer , pop out or ground out.

If they get an BB then a typical inning this year is

BB, Pop out, GIDP

I can't watch it anymore.

They never looked as bad as right now.

I thought 2001 and 2002 were bad years, but comparing with this season it seems like those were the good old days.

And to be honest.....I think the problems began right after the All Star Break 2000.

The 2nd half of 2000 wasn't really great.

And do you remeber the bad hitting in the playoff sweep vs the Mariners ???????????????

Pop out, Pop out, ground out !!!!!!!

Just begin to hit the other way and do the simple fundamentals

GO SOX !!!!!!!!

soxnut
05-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
I found this article to be extremely interesting. The point that really made an impression was that Lee, Konerko and Valentin have all dropped off in key areas since 2000. They're hitting more home runs, but have dropped in OBP, average, runs scored, and RBIs. While the link between this downfall in production and HRs is admittedly tenuous, it could easily be part of the problem. I think that the whole team needs to focus on just making contact and going with the pitch, rather than trying to hit everything in the gap or over the fence. I think this team has forgotten that big innings aren't always walk, walk, 3-run bomb. What do you guys think?

You're absolutley right. It looks as though all these guys do is over swing. This team loves trying to hit home runs. They are a bunch of dummies. I am sick of the home run. Get hits, and get alot of them.

I am sure there's a book out for opposing pitchers on these guys. "Just throw anything to these guys, they think they're in a home run hitting contest." Just look at her way other teams hit: they hit line drives, flip it into the shallow part of the outfield and when a runner is on third they drive it to deep right or center, and once in a while, they do take a big rip(the only thing our guys try to do). :whiner:

AngelLeroy
05-13-2003, 01:31 PM
I agree South Sider... there's nothing wrong with that 3-run home run... except it seems like the Sox are always trying to hit it, whether people are on base or not. I see many of our hitters. swinging as hard as they can, with a big long swing. Pop-ups and strike-outs happen a lot when you swing like that. And they seem to be trying to pull everything, which is a part of all the double plays. (pulling offspeed stuff on the outer half of the plate is a BAD idea)

Thanks soxnut. I don't know if the stuff I said is right, but it sure seems like it is to me, and the stats given in the article are really interesting when you think about it. I swear the only exciting time I watched this team was a game vs. Cleveland where they batted around and got 4 or 5 in one inning. Everyone walked or hit a line drive somewhere. I just wish they'd start doing things like that again.

SoxxoS
05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Long ball is fine...if they hit 2 and 3 run home runs. We hit SOLO shots. That's the problem. We have to lead the majors in solo home runs, it shouldn't even be close.