PDA

View Full Version : ideas


oldcomiskey
05-12-2003, 08:05 PM
it suddenly occured to me that two things need to be done right away---one is replace Jerry Manuel ASAP---but with who? Jeff Torborg? Bobby Valenine? Buck Martinez? Nick Leyva or Wally Backman....and whats our weakest position---centerfield right?---you call up Atlanta and see how attached they are to Andrew Jones---trade them Konerko straight up---they aint gonna for it but you let it be known that A) youre activley shopping Paulie K for a strong CF--and B) youre willing to give up what it takes to get a strong CF---

SoxxoS
05-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Mike Irnum (sp.) said that the Sox should try to acquire Juan Encarnacion from the Marlins, and I am all for that. He actually adds a speed dimension to the defense/lineup all while NOT hitting below .100. See Harris, Willie. He would be a great fit.

MetalliSox
05-12-2003, 08:41 PM
I'm probably one of the only ones here that would try and get a deal for Griffey. He was great in the AL and needs to get outta Cincy. I understand the injury worries, but I'd be willing to risk it.
Package Konerko and a minor leaguer and I bet you anything Cincy would jump on it. They want to ditch that salary.

Daver
05-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I'm probably one of the only ones here that would try and get a deal for Griffey.


2000: $12.5M
2001: $12.5M
2002: $12.5M
2003: $12.5M
2004: $12.5M
2005: $12.5M
2006: $12.5M
2007: $12.5M
2008: $12.5M
2009: Team option with $4.0M buyout



:reinsy

You trying to bankrupt me?

Ol Aches & Pains
05-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
it suddenly occured to me that two things need to be done right away---one is replace Jerry Manuel ASAP---but with who? Jeff Torborg? Bobby Valenine? Buck Martinez? Nick Leyva or Wally Backman....and whats our weakest position---centerfield right?---you call up Atlanta and see how attached they are to Andrew Jones---trade them Konerko straight up---they aint gonna for it but you let it be known that A) youre activley shopping Paulie K for a strong CF--and B) youre willing to give up what it takes to get a strong CF---

Well, let's see... Konerko is hitting .223, with 2 HR and 11 RBI. Andruw Jones is hitting .298 with 9 HR and 36 RBI, and is the best defensive outfielder in baseball. Yeah, the Braves might go for that deal, if you throw in Mark Buehrle. The Braves already have Robert Fick at 1st base, who is hitting .329 and making just over $1 million, so why they would want Konerko is beyond me.

As for a manager, the Sox need a wake up call if anybody ever did, so my vote would go to Bobby Valentine. Unless, of course, Reinsdorf could talk Jim Leyland into coming out of retirement.

FanOf14
05-12-2003, 09:13 PM
We got Konerko from the Reds and they already have a good firstbaseman, I don't see the Reds' gm picking PK up unless his baseball IQ is around Williams'.

oldcomiskey
05-12-2003, 09:36 PM
do you think PK is gonna keep hitting 229 and you missed the point--just by shopping PK you let folks know youre willing to deal a big gun for what you need

Ol Aches & Pains
05-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
do you think PK is gonna keep hitting 229 and you missed the point--just by shopping PK you let folks know youre willing to deal a big gun for what you need

Actually, he's hitting .223, and yes, I do. Thank goodness we have the plucky Brian Daubach in reserve!

MHOUSE
05-12-2003, 10:11 PM
PK will come around and so will Daubach. We could have a worse situation at 1B. However I agree that showing you will shop big guns to win is a good idea. Griffey is out of the question. Injuries, too much money, they are better options that won't cost us. Andruw Jones is the best CF in baseball and the Braves won't part with him unless they magically collapsed into last place (which they won't). Juan Encarnacion is a player I have always liked and would give us a speedy, defensive CF, who can HIT as well. I doubt we would have to give up much. Maybe Garland and a prospect or Lee? I don't know but we need to do something!

lowesox
05-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
PK will come around and so will Daubach. We could have a worse situation at 1B. However I agree that showing you will shop big guns to win is a good idea. Griffey is out of the question. Injuries, too much money, they are better options that won't cost us. Andruw Jones is the best CF in baseball and the Braves won't part with him unless they magically collapsed into last place (which they won't). Juan Encarnacion is a player I have always liked and would give us a speedy, defensive CF, who can HIT as well. I doubt we would have to give up much. Maybe Garland and a prospect or Lee? I don't know but we need to do something!

Trading Garland now would be the dumbest thing the Sox could do. He'll have much more trading value one day very soon. I like Encarnacion as well. They could offer somebody like Josh Stewart who had a couple impressive starts with a guy like Matt Ginter.

Another name to throw out is Ruben Rivera. I noticed his stats are terrible, but its the scrap heap players who always seem to turn out best.

MarkEdward
05-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Trading Garland now would be the dumbest thing the Sox could do. He'll have much more trading value one day very soon. I like Encarnacion as well. They could offer somebody like Josh Stewart who had a couple impressive starts with a guy like Matt Ginter.

Juan Encarnacion is a crappy version of a fifth outfielder. He's way too expensive. No defense. He does have some pop, but can't get on base to save his life.

To sum it up: we have a Juan Encarnacion on our team. His name is Armando Rios. Rios is a lot cheaper, too.

Another name to throw out is Ruben Rivera. I noticed his stats are terrible, but its the scrap heap players who always seem to turn out best.

Why should we be trading players just for the sake of trading players? Will Ruben Rivera vastly improve our team? Heck no. Will he make our team worse? Quite possibly.

The only center fielder I'd be interested in is Brad Wilkerson.

RKMeibalane
05-13-2003, 12:42 AM
I know who the Sox should get...


























:hitless

"I have returned."

:hurt

"Oh, no."