PDA

View Full Version : Future Plan! Wich 5 players are "must-keeps"?

South Sider
05-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Ok. Maybe it's a little bit early, but in my mind this season is already over despite just 3 games under .500

That's because the Sox never looked so bad as in the last 3 weeks. Bad management, no hitting, poor fundamentals, lack of heart etc. etc. etc.

And as it looks right now there is no help coming very soon.
Even worse....JM & GW still be around

So if you're the GM and could only keep 5 players of the current 25-player roster , wich players would you keep to plan for the future ?

I would keep

1. Maggs
2. Buehrle
3. Jose
4. Olivio
5. Marte

Trade away the rest (& let the BIG HURT retire) for some
good,young and hungry players who loves the game and fight their ass off to play for the SOX in the majors

Then of course we need some quality trainers to shape the young players

and finally

give us a new manager please.

I'm so sick of this team right now !

Let the future begin today

and maybe in 3-5 years.........................playoffs on the south side ?????

Would be so great !!!!!!!!!

Hullett_Fan
05-12-2003, 12:41 PM
I'd keep...

1)Maggs
2)Crede
3)Buerhle (wasn't JR smart for not offering him long term deal :D:
4)Jimenez (at SS)
5)Wunsch
6)Marte
7) Colon - for the right price

The rest (incl. JM) can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

Don't agree on keeping Jose. We need a real SS (not named Royce).

We need to pick up...
1) Beltran
2) 2 Starters

JUGGERNAUT
05-12-2003, 12:44 PM
My team:
1b-Jose
2b-Jimenez until we can find someone else
ss-get a good one for Konerko
3b-Crede - give him time
c-I still like Alomar/Olivo
lf-Lee - His D is winning games for the SOX
cf-Harris until we can find someone else
rf-Maggs : he's not worth 15mil, but he's still the most consistent hitter on the team
dh-Thomas : for 5 mil he's adequate, but if the SOX have other options dump him

Rotation:
Loaiza - cheap & effective
Colon - I think it's a given he's the best on the team now
Buerhle - better than the rest
Garland - trade him
Wright - trade him

Bullpen -
Marte - best
Wunsch - 2nd best
Glover - 3rd best
Sanders - too young to dump

Trade em:
Koch, Gordon, White

I think Lee has greatly improved his D where he's an asset to the team. His bat, speed, & D is now worthy of an extension. Of the 3, his D is helping the SOX win ball games the most. Even in Sat's game, he made a helluva a try on a tough ball to catch, but more importantly the presence of mind to get back up & throw a bullet to 3rd. He has a very good arm.

Crede is way to young to give up on him ss.

lowesox
05-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I'd keep...

1)Maggs
2)Crede
3)Buerhle (wasn't JR smart for not offering him long term deal :D:
4)Jimenez (at SS)
5)Wunsch
6)Marte
7) Colon - for the right price

Jimenez is a great second baseman, but they say he wasn't a great shortstop. Your list is missing Gary Glover, Miguel Olivo, David Sanders - those are guys I'm assuming you forgot. I have a feeling though you intended to leave Konerko off that list, but I'd keep him too. He's been pretty consistent for us over the last few years and I think this season is a combination of being (A) an abberation and B) Gary Ward's fault.

joecrede
05-12-2003, 01:03 PM
No player is untouchable. I'd throw Buehrle, Colon and Ordonez on the block today to see what could be gotten for them.

34 Inch Stick
05-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Marte
Olivo
Buhrle
Crede
Glover
In no particular order.

SoxxoS
05-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Jose is a great "team" guy and all, but we are playing corpseball with Jose, so it's not like he can change the whole team. Good player, but not a keeper IMO. Give me-

Maggs
Olivo
Buehrle
Crede
CLee
Colon (although Uncle Jerry can't afford him)
Wunsch
Marte
Sanders
Glover
Loiaza

That is all. Everyone else can get out. Mix in the guys above with some of the talent you can get from the trading of Konerko, Jimenez, Valentin, Garland, Wright, Gordon, White (don't know what were going to get for those two clowns) and Koch. We can get some nice talent for some of those players. Preferably a left handed power stick first baseman and a solid fielding shortstop that can hit over .275.

ChiSoxBobette
05-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
No player is untouchable. I'd throw Buehrle, Colon and Ordonez on the block today to see what could be gotten for them.

With the track record of the White Sox & us playing so bad already this year all we'll have to do is wait until the All-Star break and everyone of these guys will be up on the block and that includes Buehrle(who has not made it anymore clear that he's not going to sign with the Sox when his contract is up - He wants to be a Cardinal)Colon is a forgone conclusion to be gone by then , he was only rented up to the break in case we really were any good.So I say start White Flag 3 or is it 4 whatever it is and lets start dumping these guys now. There not going anywhere and from whats in the paper today its all starting to come unglued anyway. AND STILL NOTHING OUT OF OUR OWNER(S)Teams that were'nt expected to do anything have gotten more from thier ownership than ours has done - Florida Marlins Fire Torborg, Texas Rangers Owner calls in thier GM & Mananger and reads them the riot act, 2 teams that were predicted to do nothing as compared to ours and our owner is MIA.
:angry: - WHITE SOX FANS
:reinsy - Wheres Jerry?
:sopranos - New Ownership Group

JUGGERNAUT
05-12-2003, 02:00 PM
that I think it depends on what we can get for some as to who we can dump from the others.

So let's talk about who we can trade.

Hullett_Fan
05-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Jimenez is a great second baseman, but they say he wasn't a great shortstop. Your list is missing Gary Glover, Miguel Olivo, David Sanders - those are guys I'm assuming you forgot. I have a feeling though you intended to leave Konerko off that list, but I'd keep him too. He's been pretty consistent for us over the last few years and I think this season is a combination of being (A) an abberation and B) Gary Ward's fault.

I'd already gone over my 5 player limit so I left off Olivo, Sanders and Glover...but I would keep them if I could. :D:

I'd really like to be rid of Konerko and his bloated contract. We could use the $$$ on Beltran.

gosox41
05-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by South Sider
Ok. Maybe it's a little bit early, but in my mind this season is already over despite just 3 games under .500

That's because the Sox never looked so bad as in the last 3 weeks. Bad management, no hitting, poor fundamentals, lack of heart etc. etc. etc.

And as it looks right now there is no help coming very soon.
Even worse....JM & GW still be around

So if you're the GM and could only keep 5 players of the current 25-player roster , wich players would you keep to plan for the future ?

I would keep

1. Maggs
2. Buehrle
3. Jose
4. Olivio
5. Marte

Trade away the rest (& let the BIG HURT retire) for some
good,young and hungry players who loves the game and fight their ass off to play for the SOX in the majors

Then of course we need some quality trainers to shape the young players

and finally

give us a new manager please.

I'm so sick of this team right now !

Let the future begin today

and maybe in 3-5 years.........................playoffs on the south side ?????

Would be so great !!!!!!!!!

Everyohe is fair game. The Sox offense goes through the extended slumps every damn season, so maybe it's time to break up the core.

Anyone that has value should be traded if the Sox continue to play at this low level.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2003, 02:16 PM
I can't remember if it was Jimmy Dykes or Frank Lane who once put the ENTIRE White Sox roster on the waiver wire, just to see who was interested in who. Naturally they pulled everybody back before anybody could grab a player, but that's how the Sox got negotiating leverage with potential trade partners.

As always with the Sox, there was also the cheap publicity stunt element to the exercise. If P.T. Barnum had ever owned a team, it would definitely have been the Sox.

:gallas
"Come on, come on, step right up... See the Amazin' Waiver Team of the Century! Which player do you want to own? Every last one of 'em is ready to go for the right price! And today is Monday, so see 'em for half-price, run the bases, punch out the umpire, and bring your dog, too! It's White Sox Baseball--Good Guys underachieve!"

:gulp:

South Sider
05-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Some of you guys like to keep Carlos.

My opinion to this.

I like him.....but trade him now, because at the moment we could get something good in return.

I would trade for him to fill the positions that are more important right now.

I started this thread and realized that most of you choose more then 5 players.

OK....Let's be realistic

Here are the players I think the Sox should trade/release in order to form a new and better team

Konerko, Lee, Colon (altough he is the staff ace right now), R.White :angry: :angry: :angry: ,
Alomar, Garland and (SORRY) THE BIG HURT (Retirement)

I would keep Jose and would let him play DH, because he is the only player who plays with heart and fights off his ass for this team

But he should only play vs RHP.

South Sider
05-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Forgot to mention Koch of course :angry: :angry: :angry:

Maybe I tought he already isn't on the team anymore :D: :D:

Procol Harum
05-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Ya know, at some point you'd think that JR and his management cohort would begin to maybe--just maybe--wonder if they could possibly bear a share of the blame in the fact that the Sox are poised to begin their third major overhaul and makeover since 1995 even as Sox fans are voting with their booteys to NOT spend time at the Cell?

:reinsy
"All the pieces were in place in March, how was I to know that our window of opportunity with this team would last less than 24 hours?"

Rocky Soprano
05-12-2003, 02:38 PM
1. Maggs
2. Colon
3. Mark B.
4. Konerko
5. Carlos L (just cause he kills the Cubs)

pudge
05-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Maggs, Maggs, Maggs. I hope like heck we don't lose this guy. He his our only clutch, professional hitter. Watching the games this weekend, he reminds me of Edgar Martinez.

SoxxoS
05-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Martinez is actually a very good comparison to Ordonez. Especially since Maggs is only 27 or whatever.

Thunderstruck30
05-13-2003, 09:50 PM
I would keep
1. Magglio
2. Loaiza(only if he keeps it up)
3. Marte
4. Valentine
5. Buehrle(unless we can get someone good for him from St. Louis)

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Must keeps at this point...

Maggs
Marte
Jimenez
Wunsch
Olivo!
Colon/Buehrle-if we're out of it, then one is tradeable
Graffy-best utility guy in the AL

Lee is tradeable. Crede is tradeable while his value/potential is still high. Harris is a joke. I would love to keep PK, but it's tough to make him a must-keep the way he's been pitching. Garland is tradeable for ANYTHING. Keep Wright unless it's part of a deal that will get us to win now.

WinningUgly!
05-13-2003, 10:29 PM
1) Maggs
2) Buehrle
3) Colon
4) Loaiza
5) Marte

jeremyb1
05-13-2003, 11:27 PM
buehrle
jimenez
maggs
marte
olivo

i'd still strongly consider garland and wright because i still think they'll put it together at some point, loazia and colon although thier age and contract status makes that difficult.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-13-2003, 11:35 PM
I will limit this to five players. They are (in no particular order):

1) Maggs (This guy will be a star for many years to come)
2) Olivo (Has "stud" potential at a position where it is very hard to find a gem.)
3) Crede (With all the defensive liabilities we have, it would be nice to have a rock defensively at the hot corner.)
4) Buerhle (This is a young pitcher that has shown some brilliance. He could have a better record this year if it wasn't for the corpseball)
5) Colon (He is a great pitcher. It seems that teams that make the playoffs and are successful have at least a good one/two {a la the Diamondbacks} at the top of the order.)

I'd like to keep Konerko, but like my fantasy team, first base is a position that is full of talent, and you can pay for a star (like Giambi or Bagwell), or get a guy who is pretty good but not in the upper echlon (like Richie Sexson) and get by.

kermittheefrog
05-14-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I can't remember if it was Jimmy Dykes or Frank Lane who once put the ENTIRE White Sox roster on the waiver wire, just to see who was interested in who. Naturally they pulled everybody back before anybody could grab a player, but that's how the Sox got negotiating leverage with potential trade partners.

Thats not really strange George. I've heard many teams do that during the waiver wire trading period.

spanishwhite
05-14-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Watching the games this weekend, he reminds me of Edgar Martinez.

A VERY GOOD QUESTION

My top five would be these

1. Maggs.

EVERY scout says what pudge says. Edgar is currently tearing the league apart again. Maggs isnt even 30 yet while Edgar is like 70. Imagine Maggs in a couple of years. The difference is Maggs has more defense and a bit less clutch hitting.

2. Buehrle

I think he is overused and the league is constantly catching up with him, but he constantly adjusts and still has an ERA under 4.
I can see him being like Jamie Moyer.

3. Marte

Just Nasty. And a lefty, could get a top five first round pick with other prospects for him alone!

4. Olivo

Rocket arm. Rocket arm. Rocket arm. Oh, I forgot about his accuracy. His speed is a plus that should last for at least five years. His offense is at worst .265 ba.

5. Jimenez

As bad as his base running is, he is very young and hits at a .300 clip with mucho walks. It seems like he is always on base. With a good coach he could turn into a base runner which would make him a 2B version of Lofton. He is so young and could blossom into something better.

Honorable Mention!

Loaiza - I think he has turned a corner and will be at least a
number 3 pitcher for the rest of his career.

Konerko - I hear how he used to be a minor league terror. Wonder if that will ever develop into a major league terror, like Ramon Hernandez of the A's.

Crede, Lee, Rowand, Harris are not mentioned b/c we have some very good talent in the minors that could replace them such as Schnurstein (cant spell it), Borchard, Webster, and Yan that will be close to the majors w/i a couple of years. Not to mention some of our great pitching such as Diaz, Honel, Wing, Ring, Yofu, Pacheco, LaMura, Rauch, Porzio, and Others.

spanishwhite
05-14-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
buehrle
jimenez
maggs
marte
olivo

i'd still strongly consider garland and wright because i still think they'll put it together at some point

Oye muchacho, you have the same top five as I do.

good for you. YOu are 100 percent correct.

PS I also agree that at some point that Garland or Wright will be a plus pitcher for us!