PDA

View Full Version : Boers & Bernstein want to get rid of Frank

Viva Magglio
05-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein believe the season could head in the right direction if the White Sox took Frank Thomas off our hands. They believe his presence in the clubhouse is what contributes to the lack of chemistry. Thomas' problems with the umpires signal a death spiral, they believe. Are they right? Should the Sox get rid of Frank?

joecrede
05-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Konerko is a bigger cancer. He goes before Thomas.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Konerko is a bigger cancer. He goes before Thomas.

Would you care to elaborate on this point? I'm afraid I don't quite see how Paul Konerko is a clubhouse cancer.

Kilroy
05-12-2003, 12:26 PM
If you've been listening to the Score for any period of time, you know those two have blamed Frank for everything that goes wrong with the Sox for years now, even when they weren't working together.

Thomas has, according to them, screwed up chemistry, not been a leader, set bad examples, been a selfish player, not been a team player, been a cancer in the clubhouse, caused the riots after the Rodney King verdict, and he was in the book depository in Texas back in 1963...

News flash:

FRANK THOMAS IS NOT MAKING THE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE SOX SUCK.

Of course, everyone says its his fault, but no one said that he was the reason they played so well in 2000. Now how the hell could that be?

Hullett_Fan
05-12-2003, 12:28 PM
He should be batting second and stay in that spot for the rest of the season!!! It worked well for two games and then the Tinkerer moves him back to 3rd. Ughhhh!

Crede is the biggest hole in this lineup (CF is also a big one) so if we really think we've got a shot we should trade for Lowell in FLA.

Viva Magglio
05-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Thomas has, according to them, screwed up chemistry, not been a leader, set bad examples, been a selfish player, not been a team player, been a cancer in the clubhouse, caused the riots after the Rodney King verdict, and he was in the book depository in Texas back in 1963...

Don't forget that Thomas is also responsible for:
- The recent span of tornadoes across the Midwest
- The movie "Ishtar"
- The explosion aboard the Hindenburg
- The License for Bribes scandal

Foulke You
Frank is certainly not the problem with this team. Boers and Bernstein need to get a clue. They always over exaggerate about Frank just to push Sox fans buttons so that they can berate and humiliate anyone who calls in trying to defend him. In my opinion, Frank is the key to the offense and when he gets going everyone else below him will start as well just like in 2000.

kermittheefrog
I think we should dump Frank and then our next move should be to dump Jimenez and that way we would have no one left who's hitting well.

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
If you've been listening to the Score for any period of time, you know those two have blamed Frank for everything that goes wrong with the Sox for years now, even when they weren't working together.

News flash:

FRANK THOMAS IS NOT MAKING THE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE SOX SUCK.

Of course, everyone says its his fault, but no one said that he was the reason they played so well in 2000. Now how the hell could that be?
I wouldnt go that far, but Frank has ALSO not been getting the breaks. There was a Strikeout on Frank, it was called that was BRUTALLY Hi and Inside. No way thats a strikeout, but the UMPS, called it that way. It doesnt take more than a few of those to get a guy all messed up with his Swing. Ive counted a number of K's against FRANK that probably werent real K's. I dont know. Maybe were seeing the Frank-In-His-Later-Years-Thomas now. Maybe this is his best now?

joecrede
05-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Would you care to elaborate on this point? I'm afraid I don't quite see how Paul Konerko is a clubhouse cancer.

I didn't write clubhouse cancer (I'm not privy to that kind of information.)

Konerko's .611 OPS is a big offensive cancer.

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
He should be batting second and stay in that spot for the rest of the season!!! It worked well for two games and then the Tinkerer moves him back to 3rd. Ughhhh!

Crede is the biggest hole in this lineup (CF is also a big one) so if we really think we've got a shot we should trade for Lowell in FLA.

YES! WHY ISNT THOMAS BATTING 2nd AGAIN? I forgot? because he had like 6 hits? I remember how I felt when he got like his 6th hit in 8AB's from the 2hole and thinking, man, I heard it here first at WSI. Then JM moves him back to #3 again. great.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I wouldnt go that far, but Frank has ALSO not been getting the breaks. There was a Strikeout on Frank, it was called that was BRUTALLY Hi and Inside. No way thats a strikeout, but the UMPS, called it that way. It doesnt take more than a few of those to get a guy all messed up with his Swing. Ive counted a number of K's against FRANK that probably werent real K's. I dont know. Maybe were seeing the Frank-In-His-Later-Years-Thomas now. Maybe this is his best now?

I've thought about that, too. It is possible that Frank's skills have declined to the point where he is no longer capable of producing the way most people expect him to. However, his skills have little to do with whether an umpire is squeezing him. If the ball is not in the strike zone, it should not be called a strike. It is my opinion that many of the umpires are attempting to exact some form of revenge on Frank because of the times he has been critical of them in the past.

Major League Baseball needs to do something about its umpires. The calls and decisions they have made this season have been terrible. The Jon Garland incident on April 26 is one of the milder examples. Umpires have done an especially ****ty job over the past three or four seasons. I don't understand what the problem is, but the quality of their work has declined.

Dan H
05-12-2003, 12:41 PM
There is no way Thomas should be made the Scapegoat here. He is not the only one off to a bad start and under-achieving.

Having said that though, I have become tired of Frank and his whining. And that is what he did in response to Manuel suggesting that people look in the mirror. Before it was injuries, now it is the umpires. When is Frank at fault for his own bad numbers?

Face it, this is not the Frank Thomas of 2000 or of the early '90's. I don't expect a big year out of him, and I don't expect a big year from the Sox. There is plenty of blame to go around, but Thomas is definately not a MVP type player anymore.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I didn't write clubhouse cancer (I'm not privy to that kind of information.)

Konerko's .611 OPS is a big offensive cancer.

My mistake. I assumed you were referring to something that did not happen on the playing field.

Daver
05-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think we should dump Frank and then our next move should be to dump Jimenez and that way we would have no one left who's hitting well.

I agree with Kermit.

Clarkdog
05-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Thomas shouldn't be hitting third until he shows that he is most consistent hitter in the lineup. He did well in the two slot, but the responsibilty there is to assure that he can keep and inning going and move runners along. It seemed to suit him, he was getting hits. Make Mags #3, Konerko #4, and C Lee or Valentin #5. It's tough because Valentin has always hit well in the #2 over time.

MarkEdward
05-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Player X, Y, and Z each start for our beloved White Sox. Player X has an OPS of .901. Player Y has an OPS of .745. Player Z has an OPS of .611 (he also plays a position where hitting is a must).

Now, which of of these players would you get rid of (hint: Frank Thomas is neither Player Y or Z)?

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 12:46 PM
How about Valentin Leading Off?

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 12:57 PM
This is the lineup I would use:

2B- Jimenez
SS- Valentin
LF- Lee
RF- Ordonez
DH- Thomas
1B- Konerko
CF- Rios
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

Thomas hit well in the number five spot last season. Moving him down there might not be such a bad idea. Konerko is still struggling, so he should be kept in a low-pressure position for now, so he can get his swing back together. Carlos was successful in the third spot, so I think it's worth trying him there again. Everything else should remain unchanged.

soxrme
05-12-2003, 01:10 PM
I would rather get rid of Boors and Bernstein :angry:

Hullett_Fan
05-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Player X, Y, and Z each start for our beloved White Sox. Player X has an OPS of .901. Player Y has an OPS of .745. Player Z has an OPS of .611 (he also plays a position where hitting is a must).

Now, which of of these players would you get rid of (hint: Frank Thomas is neither Player Y or Z)?

I'd get rid of Player Z - Paul Konerko.

Can we get Jeff Liefer back from Montreal???

ChiSoxBobette
05-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein believe the season could head in the right direction if the White Sox took Frank Thomas off our hands. They believe his presence in the clubhouse is what contributes to the lack of chemistry. Thomas' problems with the umpires signal a death spiral, they believe. Are they right? Should the Sox get rid of Frank?

It continues to amaze me that any White Sox fans listen to wgn jr. radio station. Screw these two cub announcer wanna bes. Nobody I mean nobody is loving the problems the White Sox are having(including fueling any kind of negative nonsense about the White Sox team)than this radio station. Why do you people even listen. I've said it before the White Sox should have thier own radio station like they used to when I was a kid. Not this crap with ESPN. I say this because it seems everything - radio, TV that is supposed to be White Sox is also either contected to or the announcers give us reports about the flubs. Like when my wife & I are going down to White Sox park on Sunday home games I turn on espn radio and I have to sit through a bunch of garbage by some flub lover named silvie who's on for 2 hours telling us how great the flubs are ON A RADIO STATION WHO ADVERTIZES TO US AS THE FLAGSHIP STATION OF THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX! Do you think during flub home games you can tune into wgn radio and here the same reporting about the Sox - I DON"T THINK SO. Reinsdorf better get a clue not only do I have to watch this piss poor team play like a bunch of bums I can't even call a radio station that has a show on for more than 30/45 minutes and thats only before or after games to talk about the White Sox, theres not even anything on the radio during the week when the Sox are off that you can talk just White Sox. Now This mess of a team. God help us White Sox Fans
:angry: - White Sox Fans
:?: -Jerry Manuel
:?: -Kenny Williams
:gulp: -Heres to next year and lets hope we have a new Owner,GM,Manager & Coaches

Mammoo
05-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by soxrme

Now there's an idea I can support!!

Jerko
05-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
YES! WHY ISNT THOMAS BATTING 2nd AGAIN? I forgot? because he had like 6 hits? I remember how I felt when he got like his 6th hit in 8AB's from the 2hole and thinking, man, I heard it here first at WSI. Then JM moves him back to #3 again. great.

JM has been doing this for years. I remember last year, Durham was hotter than hell batting in the 3 hole after Thomas got hurt, but did he last there? NOPE. That was Manuel's doing THEN, and he's making the same mistakes NOW. Add to that the black Julio Ramirez in center (Willie Harris) and what has changed over the years? I am SICK OF MANUEL messing with the lineup for 2 and a half years now, seeing it not working, and thinking that the solution is to mess with the lineup! IT'S NOT WORKING, NOR HAS IT WORKED FOR ALMOST 3 SEASONS!!!!! It's a vicious cycle. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ONCE. THEN IF WE KEEP LOSING AT LEAST WE CAN SAY WE TRIED.

hose
05-12-2003, 05:44 PM

DING DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

MetalliSox
05-12-2003, 05:48 PM

Get rid of Boers. I stopped listening to their show because I was sick of hearing him make stupid jokes then listen to him laughing at himself with that fake laugh that sounds like a dry heave. He isn't funny, he is annoying, he never supports his points, he just says "He's bad...bad."
Bernstein could have his own show or be with someone. He has been on Fox a few times and was good. He should ditch Boers.

It's a shame good guys like Tommy Williams get laid off but they keep the babbling idiot, Terry Boers.

jeremyb1
05-12-2003, 06:39 PM
where's the option that says "how?". even it were in our best interest to deal frank i fail to see how we could do so without trading him for an unproductive players gigantic long term deal or cutting him, guaranteeing the remainder of his contract.

MikeKreevich
05-12-2003, 10:16 PM

I can't listen to no talent, mr. negativity, cub fan, sox hater, fat ass Terry Boers.

duke of dorwood
05-12-2003, 10:23 PM
I never listen, but I'm for blaming these two talentless bums for all the bad radio in Chicago