PDA

View Full Version : Minor League updates

NC_sox_fan
05-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Charlotte -- The Knights lost Sunday to the Toledo Mud Hens, 9 - 8. No details were available on the Knights' website.

Birmingham -- Rained out. The Barons will play a double header today with opponents West Tennessee. Starting for the Barons will be Yofu in game one and West in game two.

Winston-Salem -- This game was great until the 9th inning, when everything went wrong. Starter Ryan Wing pitched strongly through 6 and 2/3 innings. Reliever Ryan Meaux (pronounced "Mo"), also pitched well, but was inexplicably pulled after giving up his first hit of the season. After this, nothing went right.

To quote sportswriter, Dan Collins: "The Salem Avalanche, kept alive by what was, in effect, a 10-run error, rallied past the Winston-Salem Warthogs to a stunning 11-3 10-inning victory yesterday at Ernie Shore Field. The Avalanche scored 10 of their runs after right-fielder Daylan Holt failed to haul in fly ball on the warning track while his Warthogs led 2-1 with two out in the ninth."

It was a shocking ending to an otherwise great game. :(:

Kannapolis -- The Intimidators were off yesterday after being swept by Lake County in Eastlake, Ohio. Kannapolis is now 17 and 19 for the season.

MHOUSE
05-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Any word on possible call-ups? Miles, Borchard, Burmbaugh, Rauch, Porzio?

hogsmom
05-12-2003, 09:14 PM
the wind was blowing the ball all around the field starting about the 9th inning. But I think that they moved down a major league umpire. He couldn't call a ball that bounced 12 inches foul a foul. And that set the tone frrom there. I offered him my glasses, but no reply!

Daver
05-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hogsmom
the wind was blowing the ball all around the field starting about the 9th inning. But I think that they moved down a major league umpire. He couldn't call a ball that bounced 12 inches foul a foul. And that set the tone frrom there. I offered him my glasses, but no reply!

When I saw Ryan Wings pitching line for that game and then the final score I choked on my eggs.Thanx for the explanation.

DrCrawdad
05-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Any word on possible call-ups? Miles, Borchard, Burmbaugh, Rauch, Porzio?

From what I've read Rauch was the scheduled starter tonight for Charlotte but Wylie started instead. Does this mean that Rauch is coming up to Chicago?

MHOUSE
05-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
From what I've read Rauch was the scheduled starter tonight for Charlotte but Wylie started instead. Does this mean that Rauch is coming up to Chicago?

ooh juicy tidbit of info! that's doc I'll keep hoping.

MRKARNO
05-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
ooh juicy tidbit of info! that's doc I'll keep hoping.

And they're also talking about skipping Garland. I think we can all see it coming:

Rauch up, Garland down

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 11:01 PM
NC SoxFan, thanks for this update. Need the minor league fix right about now.....

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
And they're also talking about skipping Garland. I think we can all see it coming:

Rauch up, Garland down

Wow. that could be interesting. Although down for Garland would be just 20feet away from me, in the LF bullpen where he belongs for a while.... I bet the rookie Sanders goes down

DrCrawdad
05-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Rauch up, Garland down

Maybe it would have been better had Rauch not pitched.

NC_sox_fan
05-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Mitch Wylie is in Winston-Salem. He pitched in relief during the second game of the doubleheader tonight. Don't know his numbers, but he looked very good. The word is that he'll be going to Charlotte from here soon.

Scott Patten, relief pitcher, was released today.

MHOUSE
05-13-2003, 01:02 AM
What's the story on Patten? I think they're going to keep Garland up but work on him out of the pen and as a 5th starter. If Rauch does come up I would like it to be for Garland or possibly Rick White (released). I like Sanders and his rookie 2.40 ERA (IIRC) is really nice. I like him and hope he sticks.

NC_sox_fan
05-13-2003, 09:41 AM
I agree with you totally about Sanders. He's young but has a lot of maturity and presence on the mound. I think he's a great addition to the team. As for Patten, I'm confused. His record was so-so: he's 1 - 1 with an ERA of 4.82, 18 innings pitched. The only thing I really know about him is that he's been in the lower levels several years and doesn't get many opportunities. I'll ask around and see if I can learn any more.

As long as I've been around minor league baseball, there are still plenty of things that happen that I don't understand!

:?: