PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 5/12


Lip Man 1
05-12-2003, 09:08 AM
''I'm not going to sit there and tell myself to keep looking in the mirror,'' --Frank Thomas (to the Chicago Sun Times after hearing Jerry Manuel's comments about hitters having to take responsibility for their own lack of success)

Lip

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
''I'm not going to sit there and tell myself to keep looking in the mirror,'' --Frank Thomas (to the Chicago Sun Times after hearing Jerry Manuel's comments about hitters having to take responsibility for their own lack of success)

Lip

As bad as that comment looks as first glance, I think Frank actually makes a good point here. Just about every Sox hitter is struggling right now, which leads me to believe that the players themselves are not the problem. The name Gary Ward quickly comes to mind.

Last night, someone posed the question of why Ward has not been fired. Frank implies the same thing with his comment. Ward is not qualified to work with Major League baseball players. It seems as though whatever he has done with Sox hitters has not worked. I have no idea what he's been saying to Konerko or Crede, but it obviously isn't working. A new approach is needed. Greg Walker, anyone?

MisterB
05-12-2003, 12:41 PM
"I told everybody, 'You go up and face what I get every day and see how good you do at the plate,'" he said. "I'm hitting .250 [actually .243] for a reason right now. Guys are staying in on me, and there's nothing I can do. You get one pitch [to hit] a day and you foul it off, and that's it. I need to take my walks like I did in the first month.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell myself to keep looking in the mirror because I know what I'm getting day in and day out—and it's garbage. You can feel as good as you want at the plate, but if the pitchers don't give in, there's nothing you can do."

Thomas is frustrated about not getting any pitches to hit. His odd combination of .243 average and .415 OBP would suggest that he's got a legitimate beef. And as long as Ordonez and Konerko keep grounding into DP's behind him, it's not going to change.

1951Campbell
05-12-2003, 12:47 PM
Okay Frank...then take your walks.

Kilroy
05-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Thomas is frustrated about not getting any pitches to hit. His odd combination of .243 average and .415 OBP would suggest that he's got a legitimate beef. And as long as Ordonez and Konerko keep grounding into DP's behind him, it's not going to change.

Tell it like it is. People want to jump on Frank for kind of saying "it's not all me", and refuse to accept the possibility that he's right. Why should anyone pitch to Thomas if they know they have a real good shot a getting a DP from 2 of the top GIDP hitters in the league that follow him?

And great job by Lip for capturing the entire context of the quote...

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Thomas is frustrated about not getting any pitches to hit. His odd combination of .243 average and .415 OBP would suggest that he's got a legitimate beef. And as long as Ordonez and Konerko keep grounding into DP's behind him, it's not going to change.

What I don't understand is why Ordonez and Konerko keep trying to pull everything. Frank did that last season, and it obviously didn't work. When will the Sox hitters understand that the entire field must be used in order to score runs? I have the feeling that Gary Ward is somehow responsible for this mess.

Both Maggs and Konerko are experienced hitters, and it makes no sense to me that both would be struggling at this point in the season. Ordonez was hitting above .300 a week and a half ago, but he's been awful since then.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Tell it like it is. People want to jump on Frank for kind of saying "it's not all me", and refuse to accept the possibility that he's right. Why should anyone pitch to Thomas if they know they have a real good shot a getting a DP from 2 of the top GIDP hitters in the league that follow him?

And great job by Lip for capturing the entire context of the quote...

Agreed. Frank is once again being blamed for things that are not his fault. He has struggled so far this season, but he has been working extremely hard to get himself going. He has spent extra time in the batting cage. He has watched film. He has been more patient at the plate. What more do people want from him? Baseball strongly emphasizes individual performance, but it is still a team sport. When are people going to realize that it takes twenty five players to win a championship, not just one?

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
..... Baseball strongly emphasizes individual performance, but it is still a team sport. When are people going to realize that it takes twenty five players to win a championship, not just one?

Has Anyone noticed how those stupid commercials (good idea, bad execution) "....Crede...Here!, Lee...Here!....It takes a TEAM to win.....And I think weve got One" are mysteriously GONE from the Airwaves? Kind or reminds me in 2001, the ITS TIME campaign and Signs everywhere. After that horrendous start, wasnt til early MAY and that was gone too. Or in 2002, when the Sox Claimed that "You better bring your A GAME", and the Sox FIZZLED in MAY terribly, those commercials were Pulled Quietly

ChiSoxBobette
05-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
As bad as that comment looks as first glance, I think Frank actually makes a good point here. Just about every Sox hitter is struggling right now, which leads me to believe that the players themselves are not the problem. The name Gary Ward quickly comes to mind.

Last night, someone posed the question of why Ward has not been fired. Frank implies the same thing with his comment. Ward is not qualified to work with Major League baseball players. It seems as though whatever he has done with Sox hitters has not worked. I have no idea what he's been saying to Konerko or Crede, but it obviously isn't working. A new approach is needed. Greg Walker, anyone?

Yeah Man - Bring On Greg Walker, this guy Ward is a joke as has been reported last year by some of the players and Wards approach to them. Joe Crede looks like crap, wheres Ward while Joe is poping everything up. With Big Frank I just wish someone tells Frank that he's probably never going to hit .330/.340 again but if he drives in 120/125 runs and hits 30/35 HR's I could live with him only hitting .260/.270 even .250 . But we have Gary Ward who evidently has'nt been able to get through to these guys or his approach to hitting is some kind of joke, look at Paul Konerko unless theres something physically wrong with the guy he can't even hit a ball to the warning track, Maggs has'nt looked this bad hitting in a long time let alone some of the other ballplayers. This whole team is in a slump for the 2nd year in a row and management does nothing.
:angry: -White Sox fans
:?: -Gary Ward
:sopranos - New Ownership

MRKARNO
05-12-2003, 04:22 PM
If gary ward had a brain, he'd work with Frank on the inside pitches so that when pitchers challeng him inside, he easiliy responds with Homers

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
If gary ward had a brain, he'd work with Frank on the inside pitches so that when pitchers challeng him inside, he easiliy responds with Homers It's so simple!!! Just work with Frank so he can easily respond with homers!!! Why didn't they think of that? Brilliant!!!

Kilroy
05-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
It's so simple!!! Just work with Frank so he can easily respond with homers!!! Why didn't they think of that? Brilliant!!!

Thanks Nellie. I almost spit my coke when I read those last 2 posts.

I still say that Frank should take the approach that brought Albert Belle out of his woeful stretch. Albert moved closer to the plate and opened his stance a bit. He could cover the pitch 4 inches off the outside corner without it being a protect type swing. And anything coming inside he didn't take, he put the bat on it. The one thing that pitchers knew was that he was not taking that inside pitch, he was crushing it.

That's something that Frank should change until pitchers stop trying to do it to him. He wants to take that pitch and he does get a lot of balls called. But he needs to take back the inside part of the plate. Right now, pitchers come in there and know he's taking.

TheBigHurt
05-13-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
:sopranos - New Ownership

SURE, send them in ASAP.......BE GOOD

Hangar18
05-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Thanks Nellie. I almost spit my coke when I read those last 2 posts.

I still say that Frank should take the approach that brought Albert Belle out of his woeful stretch. Albert moved closer to the plate and opened his stance a bit. He could cover the pitch 4 inches off the outside corner without it being a protect type swing. And anything coming inside he didn't take, he put the bat on it. The one thing that pitchers knew was that he was not taking that inside pitch, he was crushing it.

That's something that Frank should change until pitchers stop trying to do it to him. He wants to take that pitch and he does get a lot of balls called. But he needs to take back the inside part of the plate. Right now, pitchers come in there and know he's taking.

YUP. If the supermarket is only going to sell Lemons and Bread,
Time to make about 48 recipes for Lemon Sandwiches. IN another post, I remarked how Frank was getting Ripped by baseball tonite for not "Dealing" with the Inside Pitch. Frank has the power to make pitchers deal with it. Only takes a few line drives back to the pitcher and they'll stop pitching him there.....

alohafri
05-13-2003, 10:40 AM
On the radio in the car last night, we flipped on the scrubs game, and Cory Patterson had just batted or something, anyway, Cory was running and Pat Hughes said to Ron Santo, "I love to watch Cory run....don't you wish YOU could run like that, Ron?" to which Ron replied, "Yeah, NOW I do".

Remember, Ron Santo had both legs amputated below the knee due to diabetes.

Hello mouth-meet foot!





--from Mrs. Aloha

LuvSox
05-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
On the radio in the car last night, we flipped on the scrubs game, and Cory Patterson had just batted or something, anyway, Cory was running and Pat Hughes said to Ron Santo, "I love to watch Cory run....don't you wish YOU could run like that, Ron?" to which Ron replied, "Yeah, NOW I do".
Remember, Ron Santo had both legs amputated below the knee due to diabetes.
Hello mouth-meet foot!
--from Mrs. Aloha

Classic Cubism.