PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout this for a shakeup?

Jurr
05-12-2003, 08:12 AM
How about.....we forget about moving players up and down, looking for a spark? How 'bout JM taking his head out of his arse, putting his best players out there every day, and letting them figure it out for themselves? In 1993, 1994, and 2000 (aka the years we won something), the Sox put a consistent lineup out there every day. The best way to build chemistry is to let guys know their roles. I put up a post about having relaxed players..guys that know what's going on day to day...batting in the same hole regardless of matchups...hell, you've been in the game all your life...you should be able to hit a lefty or a righty..it shouldn't matter!!!!But, here's the magic formula:relaxed=focused=seeing the ball better=not having to jack homers to appease the manager that may bench them tomorrow=better average=batting through the order=wins=better chemistry=happy fans
Stick with your biggest talent...the guys you meant to play every day. Let them have a chance to pull out of their respective funks. If they don't, trade 'em off and rebuild!!!! They weren't worth keeping!
I propose this lineup to maximize talent.
1.D'angelo Jimenez
2.Jose Valentin
3.Frank Thomas
4.Magglio Ordonez
5.Carlos Lee
6.Paul Konerko
7.Armando Rios
8.Joe Crede
9.Miguel Olivo

Let these guys play day in and day out. Pinch hit Daubach and Graffanino from time to time. OCCASIONALLY let Graff get some time out in the field. I was recently in favor of getting more time for Graff, but after some thought, it would seem more fit to let the proven guys work their way out of the funk. People love routines. You grow confident with a routine. Damn, this team needs some comfortability and confidence. A little comraderie. That's what I loved about playing high school ball...look to the right of me...same left fielder...looking to the left...same right fielder. Every day. Same infielders..every day. Makes you more comfy to know your damn role every day. That is the only thing JM hasn't tried, and it's a crying shame that he hasn't tried it this year. Try it for like 2 weeks!! Hell, you may be surprised. But, what do I know..I'm in dental school, not the major leagues. I'm not a pro manager. They must be so much brighter.

soxrme
05-12-2003, 09:02 AM
I agree with you except I would have Borchard in center. Leave the damn lineup alone. We win in Oakland and the next day the lineup is totally different again. Leave a damn team in there and go with it. This tinkering has to STOP :angry: :angry: :angry:
Harris showed yesterday he is not a center fielder. As has been suggested on other posts, Aaron Miles should be brought up also.

MHOUSE
05-12-2003, 09:37 AM
My CF choices would be Rios, Rowand, Borchard, and Harris as an emergency backup. I don't understand when we have 3 outfielders who can play there that Jerry puts a second baseman there. It doesn't make sense? The players are confused and don't know who is playing when, etc. Rios was talking about how they all looked at the lineup and were like "Hey you're playing today!" I don't get it. The tinkering has to stop.

Jerko
05-12-2003, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurr
[B]How about.....we forget about moving players up and down, looking for a spark? How 'bout JM taking his head out of his arse, putting his best players out there every day, and letting them figure it out for themselves? In 1993, 1994, and 2000 (aka the years we won something), the Sox put a consistent lineup out there every day. The best way to build chemistry is to let guys know their roles.

I agree 100% with the above remarks. I also agree that someone should have posted it 2 1/2 years ago.

Procol Harum
05-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Jurr

Stick with your biggest talent...the guys you meant to play every day. Let them have a chance to pull out of their respective funks. If they don't, trade 'em off and rebuild!!!! They weren't worth keeping!

Therein I believe, fellow Sox fans, is the ultimate rub--what they call El Ultimo Rubbo, South of the Border--our "biggest talent" has proven over the last three years--in any combination--that it's talent doesn't match up with the real talent in this league. While I have also been impatient with JM's constant tinkering one might expect that our "talent" could not fail but make itself known, regardless of whether or not the same 9 guys bat together, in order, for 38 consecutive games.

It's like making a chocolate milkshake with the leavings from three separate donkeys--no matter how you assemble the ingredients if the major ingredient is donkey-doo the end product will not be a savory delight.

:gulp: <--- Sox fans down another Reinsdorf shake

MisterB
05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
I agree with you except I would have Borchard in center. Leave the damn lineup alone. We win in Oakland and the next day the lineup is totally different again.

The only difference between the lineup that won in Oakland and the next day's lineup was Jimenez in place of Valentin. Of course he switched to a much different lineup for the first game in Seattle, so it really doesn't matter.

Originally posted by MHOUSE
My CF choices would be Rios, Rowand, Borchard, and Harris as an emergency backup. I don't understand when we have 3 outfielders who can play there that Jerry puts a second baseman there.

What do all four of them have in common? None are real center fielders. Borchard may be a gifted athlete but considering the horrible job our minor leagues have done at producing defensively competent players, I'm not holding my breath that he'll arrive as a major league quality CF.