PDA

View Full Version : Truest statement I've seen about this team.

Jurr
05-11-2003, 10:24 PM
“I don’t have any answers today,” said Manuel with a smile, as reporters approached after his team finished its first West Coast trip at 2-4. “I’m done. I have no answers for you. We were brutal. We can’t swing.

“The guys are working hard. I'm not saying they're not working hard. But I don't want them to start looking other places when you have to look at yourself. That's just where we are right now. We feel we put a good team together. Hey, they have to start taking some responsibility

Lack of hitting has disheartened the pitching staff to the point they're pressing. Buehrle doesn't have his stuff. The bullpen is okay (though Rick White needs to be dumped and replaced by Garland).......Stewart or Rauch need to come back up to start.
This isn't a manager problem, per say. I would say that the players need to get their stuff together mentally, so they expect to get hits and put good innings together. Having a manager pump you up doesn't help....it actually hurt me or anybody I've ever played ball with. When we got jacked up for an AB, we'd usually overswing and dig a nice 0-2 hole, then you're screwed.
When you're calm and focused, you have fun and see the ball well. That's what the Sox need right now. They need to relax, stop pressing, and enjoy going to the park. Maybe they can get a hold of the Orioles, get some wins and get going. It's not the manager or the hitting coach that makes Konerko's mechanics screwy. Haven't you ever played a sport such as basketball, baseball, pool, etc...one that takes some concentration? And, if you think about your shot a bunch...you screw up and it doesn't drop? I know that when I'm playing b-ball, I shoot my best when I get out there and play. I've put up enough shots in my life that I can hit my shot without doing a whole bunch of thinking about it. When I do begin to try and adjust my shot because I'm missing a few, I totally screw everything up, and I'm better off shooting blindfolded. It's a mental thing. These guys get the right idea, just try and see the ball without putting too much thought into it. Getting a new hitting coach screwing with their mechanics may worsen the problem. I would say....let this team work their way out of this funk..let's see how much talent was really assembled, and if at the end of the year, we are sitting at or below .500, make changes across the board. If this team is good and just slumping, they will come out of the slump, regardless of who's coaching them. IF THEY DON'T, THEN THEY AREN'T TALENTED ENOUGH, AND WE NEED TO CHANGE THE ROSTER TOP TO BOTTOM. Let's see just how good Jerry Manuel, Kenny Williams, and co. really are. Who cares if this season goes to s**t. If it does, then firing people needs to happen. If this team was as talented as we thought they were, they're not going to let this season go.

MHOUSE
05-11-2003, 10:30 PM
White needs to be released. Harris needs to be sent back to AAA. Garland needs to be pulled from the rotation and set in the pen, traded, or sent to Charlotte. Bring up a starter or trade for one. We need to make CHANGES. Standing pat with THIS team is not going to get us anywhere.

Viva Magglio
05-11-2003, 10:31 PM
I find the "I'm done" part of JM's comments quite interesting.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I find the "I'm done" part of JM's comments quite interesting.

Unless the Sox start winning, that statement is going to become the truth one way or another. Jerry Manuel's days in Chicago are numbered.

MHOUSE
05-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Unless the Sox start winning, that statement is going to become the truth one wa or another. Jerry Manuel's days in Chicago are numbered.

Goodness I hope so!

gosox3072
05-11-2003, 11:29 PM
i agree with everything that you said jurr exept the who cares aobut this year part...this year is HUGE. If we dont win this year you can start thinking white flag and another 5 years of rebuliding, im tired of rebuliding, its about time were built and start winning

GASHWOUND
05-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
White needs to be released. Harris needs to be sent back to AAA. Garland needs to be pulled from the rotation and set in the pen, traded, or sent to Charlotte. Bring up a starter or trade for one. We need to make CHANGES. Standing pat with THIS team is not going to get us anywhere.

Still think we keep White cause I'm willing to bet he'll turn it around...If we send Garland to the pen, who do we replace him with...Although our pitching has struggles, I think our offense has struggled even more putting a ton of pressure on the pitchers thinking they have to throw shut outs to win a game..
We've all been waiting for this offense to get going, but I'm worried as hell cause its may 11 and we still haven't hit..What did we have today, 3 hits! 3 damn hits!!! This kind of performance is not disappointing, it's appalling..we won't win a damn thing until we start averaging 6 runs a game for awhile..
The Twins bats have started to catch on fire, they bombed both Pedro, and Lowe today..Lowe would probably have pitched a shutout against us if we had faced him tonight.

If changes are to be made, I think its gotta start with the offense..we need some power from the left..and Crede is really needs to live up to the hype, Frank's bat speed has decreased at least 30% from his 2000 year, but in order for this club to pick up offensively, Pauly has to start driving in those runs.

GASHWOUND
05-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
i agree with everything that you said jurr exept the who cares aobut this year part...this year is HUGE. If we dont win this year you can start thinking white flag and another 5 years of rebuliding, im tired of rebuliding, its about time were built and start winning

Its funny, the year we were suppose to be in the rebuilding process was in 2000 and we ended up winning..2001 was suppose to be the start of the Indian-esque dominance in the central..but since 2001(the end of rebuilding) we stunk up the joint...Irony for you :angry: :whiner: