PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 5-11-03 White Sox at Seattle

Jjav829
05-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Today's game starts at 3:05 cst with Mark Buehrle starting against Jamie Moyer.

balboner
05-11-2003, 03:30 PM
For the love of god, can we end the willie harris experiment in center!!!! Also, it's nice Gary Ward told our players to take Moyer to rightfield. First two batters beated the ball into the ground to 3b.

T Dog
05-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by balboner
For the love of god, can we end the willie harris experiment in center!!!! Also, it's nice Gary Ward told our players to take Moyer to rightfield. First two batters beated the ball into the ground to 3b.

Harris is with the team because of his bat. Rowand is a better defensive centerfielder. I hope Rowand is finding his lost stroke down on the farm.

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Gary Ward has got to get the boot. Seriously. Although we are kind of breaking out of the slump, it is no thanks to Ward. As stated above, against Jamie Moyer, I havent seen ONE guy try to go opposite way.
Cooper needs to get promoted, ASAP.

DonkeyKongerko
05-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Nice to see teams hitting into double plays besides us. Oh and Colbrun just hit a HR, ***?

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Harris is with the team because of his bat. Rowand is a better defensive centerfielder. I hope Rowand is finding his lost stroke down on the farm.

Unfortunately, he isn't. He is hitting .219. I would have to think there is something wrong with that shoulder.

LuvSox
05-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Nice to see Carlos can bunt a guy over to second. What happened to fundamentals? Stop swinging for the fence every time! :angry:

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
We should be killing Jamie Moyer-A soft throwing lefty, but of course, we aren't. We better not score only 1 run this game. If we do, when I get up tomorrow morning, and I check WSI, I want one of the threads to say "Ward fired!" or something of that nature. He needs to go. Now.

Jurr
05-11-2003, 04:22 PM
It's not always about firing a guy because some phase of the game isn't working. Give Moyer credit. He's a pretty good pitcher. He has a tendency to fall apart later on, so just hang with it. when you bring in a new hitting coach, it doesn't magically make players pick up a pitch off the release better! Come on!

Jurr
05-11-2003, 04:25 PM
by the way...this is a pretty good game going on right now. Both pitchers for the most part are hitting their spots. The Sox aren't "sluggish", just getting good pitching thrown at them. I think this one could get exciting later on.

Jurr
05-11-2003, 04:26 PM
As I say that, Buehrle grooves one to Martinez.

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
It's not always about firing a guy because some phase of the game isn't working. Give Moyer credit. He's a pretty good pitcher. He has a tendency to fall apart later on, so just hang with it. when you bring in a new hitting coach, it doesn't magically make players pick up a pitch off the release better! Come on!

Moyer is a good pitcher. The approach I have seen by most of the hitters is dead wrong on a pitcher like Moyer. Have you noticed how many balls we have killed into the left field foul area? That is a direct corrolation of having the wrong approach to this pitch. Those pitches should be waited back on driven to right field.

There is obviously something wrong with our offensive production. Something is wrong, and something needs to change. I am not saying going from Ward to Walker is going to make everyone hit .320. However, it could possibly help, and we need all the help we can get. Not to mention Willie Harris was hitting .420 under Walker in AAA, so he has got to be pretty good. :cool:

baggio202
05-11-2003, 04:27 PM
whether its a lefty or not..daubach and rios gotta start playing more..lee , konerko and as much as i hate to say it thomas are just not doing it....they are gonna tank this whole season for us

dougs78
05-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
by the way...this is a pretty good game going on right now. Both pitchers for the most part are hitting their spots. The Sox aren't "sluggish", just getting good pitching thrown at them. I think this one could get exciting later on.

Wait a minute...Buehrle is hitting his spots? Are you sure about that? How do you explain his 5 walks already in 4+ innings then??

I'd just like to see our offense explode one of these games.

dougs78
05-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Make that 6 walks in 4+ innings....

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 04:32 PM
I know its early in the season, but I wonder if buehrle regrets not taking that contract...???

FanOf14
05-11-2003, 04:36 PM
The sox suck, the officiating sucks and I just totally sick of baseball...I need a serious break from this game...

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 04:39 PM
This upcoming schedule for the next three weeks is our season. If we don't go 14-6 or something like that in the next 20 games, we are in deep, deep trouble.

Unregistered
05-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
This upcoming schedule for the next three weeks is our season. If we don't go 14-6 or something like that in the next 20 games, we are in deep, deep trouble. That's just not going to happen. This team is a friggin' sinking ship. And as i say that, cut to a shot of Rick White warming up in the 'pen...

FanOf14
05-11-2003, 04:45 PM
It doesn't matter at this point what the pitching does, you can't win when you can only score one or two runs a game, at least not anymore you can't.

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 04:53 PM
How much longer until the Rick White/Willie Harris/Gary Ward era's are over?

duke of dorwood
05-11-2003, 05:02 PM
That 3 would be a good start. But definately Harris must be sent so far down, he never gets up.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Rick White needs to go. Today. I refuse to suffer through another of his implosions out there. This is ridiculous. The offense has once again decided not show up. Two runs will not get it done at the Major League level. If Gary Ward is not fired within the next ten days, then Ken Williams should take the fall instead.

The White Sox organization has absolutely no balls when it comes to matters such as this. Whenever someone is not doing his job properly, nothing is done until it's too late. Nardi Contreras should have been fired after that massacre in Anahiem last May. Instead, Williams and Manuel waited to deal with him until after the All Star break. By that time, the season was already over. The Sox were playing for second.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2003, 05:40 PM
It's called "contracts..." Uncle Jerry is going to be fiscally responsible, regardless of how it hurts the club.

He's not going to pay a player or coach to do nothing especially if it isn't the last year of a contract.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Amazing...three hits against another soft tossing junkballer.

Here's what it comes down to folks...the next 20 games will tell us once and for all about the rest of the season. And those teams aren't playing as badly as they did at various times this past month. Baltimore isn't a joke, the Twins are better... even the Tigers are winning a few more games.

The Sox HAVE to make a move and go something like 15-5 because look at the schedule from June 3rd through July 3rd...it's a bitch.

If they can't do it now, it's over (and I'm sorry if that offends some of the optimists)

Lip

RKMeibalane
05-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Amazing...three hits against another soft tossing junkballer.

Here's what it comes down to folks...the next 20 games will tell us once and for all about the rest of the season. And those teams aren't playing as badly as they did at various times this past month. Baltimore isn't a joke, the Twins are better... even the Tigers are winning a few more games.

The Sox HAVE to make a move and go something like 15-5 because look at the schedule from June 3rd through July 3rd...it's a bitch.

If they can't do it now, it's over (and I'm sorry if that offends some of the optimists)

Lip

I have to agree with Lip on this one. If the Sox are going to make a move, the time is now. They cannot afford to wait until after the All Star break to start playing winning baseball. They have an opportunity in the next week to pick some ground against Minnesota. However, the Twins are playing much better baseball than they were the last time the Sox saw them. To make matters worse, these games are on the road. For whatever reason, the Sox do not play well on the road.

Kansas City appears to be reverting to their normal level of play. They have been as consistent as they were during the first three or four weeks of the season. This could work in the Sox favor, provided they take care of business against Baltimore.

Moving on to more specific concerns, it is clear to just about everyone on this board that Willie Harris needs to be sent down. For some reason, his success at Triple-A Charlotte has not carried over to the Major Leagues. There is, of course, a large difference between the two levels, but someone who hit .420 in the Minors should be able to at least hit above .200 with a Major League club.

To replace Harris, it would be worthwhile to promote Matt Ginter in order to strengthen an extremely weak bullpen. Rick White has been horrible. I expect him to be gone by the end of June if he cannot get his act together. The Sox were expected to contend, and White is one of many reasons why they have underachieved.

As I see it, Gary Ward has ten days to figure out what the problem is with the offense. A goal should be set regarding how many runs the Sox score over the next nine games, or so. If they are able to average five runs a game, then Ward should be allowed to remain hitting instructor for the time being. If not, he should be fired.

This team has too much talent on offense to be struggling as badly as it has, and I cannot shake the feeling that Ward is the cause of most of the problems. I don't know what he says to Sox hitters, but it doesn't appear to be working. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that Ward is somehow responsible for Konerko's struggles, or for that matter, Joe Crede's.

Furthermore, Jerry Manuel MUST stop "tinkering" with the lineup. His daily lineup changes seem to only confuse and frustrate Sox players. No one knows what his role is anymore. Think back to 2000. Aside from the occasional adjustment, I seem to remember that the lineup was the same every day. Each hitter knew what his role was, and he focused exclusively on doing whatever he could to fulfill that role.

duke of dorwood
05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Its ridiculous to be trying to break out of a funk by playing an infielder in the outfield. Harris is an average player at best and simply cant overcome that. We have a shortstop at second .

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Its ridiculous to be trying to break out of a funk by playing an infielder in the outfield. Harris is an average player at best and simply cant overcome that. We have a shortstop at second .

We also have a Scrooge as an owner, a Stooge as a GM and a Mohatma as a manager.

The White Sox are nothing but a bunch of people at the wrong positions, doing the wrong things.

No wonder we're going nowhere but down...
:(:

SoxxoS
05-11-2003, 08:54 PM
RK-10 days is 10 too many for Ward. He has got to go. The offense has been crap the whole season for the talent in the lineup.

The hitting coach may not be the be all and end all, but little things is baseball make a world of difference sometimes. I know if I am on the golf course, and someone notices something I am doing wrong, that can turn what would be a disasterous round into something different. Same thing with hitting insructors. Maybe one sentence could make the world of difference to someone. Obviously, Ward doesn't have that influence.

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Obviously, Ward doesn't have that influence.

As I've mentioned before, why are the White Sox still employing a hitting coach who can't even get his own son to hit decently?

It boggles the brain, confuses the cranium and upsets the ulcer.

:smile:

RKMeibalane
05-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
As I've mentioned before, why are the White Sox still employing a hitting coach who can't even get his own son to hit decently?

I can answer that easily enough. Gary Ward has been friends with Kenny Williams for years, ever since they played together in Detroit. Therefore, he is one Kenny's "goons." Williams will not dispose of him because of their friendship, just as he would not dispose of Gary Pettis until the end of last season.

The White Sox organization is a political nightmare. No one wants to do anything because everyone seems to have allies somewhere else in the organization. This web of entangling alliances is more proof that Jerry Reinsdorf must sell the team, so that a new owner can put new people in place.