PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Marlins Fire Torborg

Viva Magglio
05-11-2003, 12:45 AM
According to The Miami Herald, the Florida Marlins have fired manager Jeff Torborg. The former White Sox manager has been replaced by Jack McKeon. There is no word on the fate of former Sox shortstop Ozzie Guillen, who is the Marlins' third base coach.

From The Miami Herald: "Last-place Marlins fire their manager" (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5834719.htm)

From The Miami Herald: "Ex-Reds manager McKeon will take over" (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5834825.htm)

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 12:53 AM
I don't know how "breaking" this is as the Marlins had good expectations but wound up falling fast after being riddled with injuries. The offense hasn't performed too well... Well, the offense they have.

It's not a huge surprise (sorta), but I didn't think anybody in Florida cared, anyway.

Viva Magglio
05-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I don't know how "breaking" this is as the Marlins had good expectations but wound up falling fast after being riddled with injuries. The offense hasn't performed too well... Well, the offense they have.

It's not a huge surprise (sorta), but I didn't think anybody in Florida cared, anyway.

Outside of the injuries, what team do the Marlins with their poorly performing offense remind you of?

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Outside of the injuries, what team do the Marlins with their poorly performing offense remind you of?

The Cubs?

:D:

MarkEdward
05-11-2003, 01:24 AM
And all the pitchers in the Marlins' farm system breath a sigh of relief...

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
And all the pitchers in the Marlins' farm system breath a sigh of relief...

... Till Don Baylor is announced as the new Marlins manager...

siugrad25
05-11-2003, 01:54 AM
Hmmm. Actually, I'm sort of surprised. I really don't know how much of this is Torborg's fault. When you lose your top pitchers (Burnett, Beckett, etc.) it's sort of hard to compete. Especially when your the Marlins. I mean, down here it seems every other day some FLA pitcher is going down to some sort of injury. So really the only question remains is how much did he and his staff know about some of these injuries? On the other hand, they're a scrappy little team and they've showed more life at times than our beloved Sox (atleast they can steal a base...). I was at that 20-inning marathon a few weeks back against the Cards, and just think if our Sox were down by five heading into the bottom half of the ninth. I shutter to think about it...
I guess since I moved down this way I've been trying to root for them as my National League team, even though they don't draw crap and they have virtually no payroll. Pro Player or 'Celebrity Cruise Field' as it may be known this fall is not the mecca of ballparks, but I've not had a complaint other than it being 90 degrees in the middle of April this spring at the ballpark. Plus I get to see good ole No. 13 Mr. Guillen at 3rd base.
So is this a shocker. No. But there's a few managers I could have foreseen being fired before Torborg.

Unregistered
05-11-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25
There's a few managers I could have foreseen being fired before Torborg. :jerry
"I have no idea what you're talking about..."

DonkeyKongerko
05-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
:jerry
"I have no idea what you're talking about..."

"I have tenure"

MHOUSE
05-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Well lets see how the Marlins respond to having a new manager. The Angels were 15-16 last year.....

MarkEdward
05-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
Hmmm. Actually, I'm sort of surprised. I really don't know how much of this is Torborg's fault. When you lose your top pitchers (Burnett, Beckett, etc.) it's sort of hard to compete. Especially when your the Marlins. I mean, down here it seems every other day some FLA pitcher is going down to some sort of injury. So really the only question remains is how much did he and his staff know about some of these injuries? On the other hand, they're a scrappy little team and they've showed more life at times than our beloved Sox (atleast they can steal a base...). I was at that 20-inning marathon a few weeks back against the Cards, and just think if our Sox were down by five heading into the bottom half of the ninth. I shutter to think about it...

This firing is totally justified. Torborg's pitchers consistently rank at the top of the Pitcher Abuse Points leader board. This year, Mark Redman is fourth. In 2002, A.J. Burnett was second. 2001, Ryan Dempster ranked 14th. Year after year, Torborg has seen his young studs go down to injury. After they go down, Torborg has the audacity to quizzically state "I have no idea how this could have happened." He casually states that 120 pitches is not a lot of pitches. The guy just doesn't learn form his mistakes, and it's costing many young pitchers their arms.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
2001, Ryan Dempster ranked 14th.

i dont think he was the coach then, but still he should have been canned

MarkEdward
05-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
i dont think he was the coach then, but still he should have been canned

Then that would probably explain the lack of Marlin pitchers in the top 10 for that year...

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 09:29 AM
The Marlins are in news because all their Pitching Is Hurt. Isnt this the Same Team that Basically gave Away 2 of their pitchers last year because they had no Money?? (Alfonseca, and throw in Clement) Isnt this the team that then, realize how Foolish that trade was, then tried all year to get MORE PITCHING? Isnt this the team that, with no money and no chance at Getting Barolo Colon, shored up their Pitching problems by signing I Rodriguez to that huge $$$$$ Contract? He should be glad he isnt with that Bogus Franchise. I hate that team, mostly because of their Stupidity

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Anyone notice how the Cubs are poking around in the Marlins dumpster again? Trying to get Lowell. Someone Fold that Marlin team please.....

lowesox
05-12-2003, 12:03 PM
NOTE: The MArlins fired their coach and won easily 7-2. Is anybody in the WhiteSOx organizaiton paying attention?