PDA

View Full Version : So who's our closer?


Thunderstruck30
05-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Marte seems to be closing more games now including tonights game. Is he the closer or is it still Koch?

mike squires
05-11-2003, 12:17 AM
In my opinion, you leave it to Marte as long as he's getting the job done. no doubt about it. Give Koche the opportunity to be the set up man.

MRKARNO
05-11-2003, 12:41 AM
It's Damaso. He's shown that he can close the game out and not give up HRs in the process. No one's been threatening him with deep, deep fly balls like Koch has been threatened with

WhiteSoxWinner
05-11-2003, 12:54 AM
I echo the sentiments of the last two posts. It is Marte until Koch can show he is better.

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 12:56 AM
It better remain Damaso.

He came in during a tough situation and got the three outs, with the help of some good defense, and a less-than-great baserunning move by what's-his-name. Bloomquist, there you go.

The hardest hit ball off of him was probably that easy flyout to Willie. However, when you pitch well and don't walk people or give up stinging line drives, you get a few things to bounce your way. Let's hope things continue to bounce the White Sox' way.

Marte all the way.

baggio202
05-11-2003, 02:22 AM
ive been calling for marte to close since last year...i thought he earned the job last year going 10 for 11 in saves after JM removed foulke from the closer's role...marte is a big reason why i really felt the koch trade was useless...marte is a stud..his numbers last year were as good as any closer in baseball...60 ip 72k's ...18 walks... a whip right at 1...this kid is special...could become the next great closer...i feel he is that good and if you read most of my posts you'll see im probably more doom and gloom than optimistic..but i really feel we have a gem in marte

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
ive been calling for marte to close since last year...i thought he earned the job last year going 10 for 11 in saves after JM removed foulke from the closer's role...marte is a big reason why i really felt the koch trade was useless...marte is a stud..his numbers last year were as good as any closer in baseball...60 ip 72k's ...18 walks... a whip right at 1...this kid is special...could become the next great closer...i feel he is that good and if you read most of my posts you'll see im probably more doom and gloom than optimistic..but i really feel we have a gem in marte

We need a nickname for Marte, then.

"The Gem" or "Gem" doesn't sound too bad.

I'm drawing a blank. Never been that good on nicknames. Monikers, neither. I've never been too great on epithets, either. I'm probably worst with sobriquets, though.

Any ideas out there?

:)

baggio202
05-11-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
We need a nickname for Marte, then.

"The Gem" or "Gem" doesn't sound too bad.

I'm drawing a blank. Never been that good on nicknames. Monikers, neither. I've never been too great on epithets, either. I'm probably worst with sobriquets, though.

Any ideas out there?

:)

last year we were calling him " K - Marte " ...kind of play on k being the sign for a strike out and k-mart...his fastball could be the blue light special ???

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
last year we were calling him " K - Marte " ...kind of play on k being the sign for a strike out and k-mart...his fastball could be the blue light special ???

I dunno. There's nothing cheap about his fastball.

K-Marte... Eh, we could do better, in my opinion. I personally like "Gem" but there could be something better.

I was going to suggest "Diem" with his initials being D.M. (yeah, I know the proper pronunciation...) and the whole Latin aspect (carpe diem definition and Latino angle, also), but history buffs would probably get all indignant on me...

...

...

... Well, they know why.

:D:

MattyMo4Life
05-11-2003, 07:11 AM
I'm just curious, but if Marte remains the Sox closer, do you all think there is a chance that Koch would be traded? If he were to be traded... what do the Sox need? The Cardinals are looking to trade for help in the pen.

hose
05-11-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by MattyMo4Life
I'm just curious, but if Marte remains the Sox closer, do you all think there is a chance that Koch would be traded? If he were to be traded... what do the Sox need? The Cardinals are looking to trade for help in the pen.


Welcome to WSI.

Billy Koch's trade value is very low right now, so unless the Sox are just trying to dump salary I can't see Koch getting traded any time soon.

Koch's trade value could go through the roof if he shows some signs of being able to get outs consistently and the White Sox are out of the race.

Teams like your Cardinals, the Red Sox and when Tim Worrel comes back to earth the San Fransico Giants might all be looking for help.

siugrad25
05-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Damaso Marte has to be our closer. Period. He has the hot hand right now, and do you really want to put Koch in that save position last night after what we've seen from this far? If he can screw his head on straight maybe the best spot for him is to setup Marte (which has been mentioned above). Every good team has a good setup man/closer and if it's Koch/Marte instead of Marte/Koch, like we all thought in the beginning of the year... so be it. I'm hopeful Koch will get in there and turn things around, we need to win bad... If we can take 2 in Seattle, that'll be pretty sweet.

duke of dorwood
05-11-2003, 10:09 AM
kw'S APPEARANCE ON am 1000 THE OTHER DAY SAID WITOUT A DOUBT kOCH WAS THE CLOSER.

MHOUSE
05-11-2003, 10:17 AM
You can't say Koch is the closer when the last two crucial situations (Gordon's walked bases loaded and last night) Manuel has gone to Marte who closed it out. I am fine with it since he's getting the job done and the kid is a stud.

Gem, K-Marte are ok nicknames, but we can do better. Just give it time.

Billy Goat Koch will be tradeable if he can go 4-5 outings strongly and maybe get a save, then there are a lot of teams who would give us a LH bat or CF for him in a pennant race. Maybe if he settles down he could set-up Marte, I don't know but if he gets it together, someone can use him.

Hey maybe we should give KW SOME credit for trading Matt Guerrier who? for Marte last year. That can go on the short list of good moves by him.

Jerry_Manuel
05-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
kw'S APPEARANCE ON am 1000 THE OTHER DAY SAID WITOUT A DOUBT kOCH WAS THE CLOSER.

Well, Manuel doesn't have to worry about what Williams wants anymore. :cool:

MattyMo4Life
05-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by hose
Welcome to WSI.

Billy Koch's trade value is very low right now, so unless the Sox are just trying to dump salary I can't see Koch getting traded any time soon.

Koch's trade value could go through the roof if he shows some signs of being able to get outs consistently and the White Sox are out of the race.

Teams like your Cardinals, the Red Sox and when Tim Worrel comes back to earth the San Fransico Giants might all be looking for help.

I agree that Koch's trade value isn't very high right now which is why the Cards would be interested. Unlike the Red Sox and Giants the Cards are looking for a set-up guy that could close until Izzy returns. I'm not sure what Koch's contract looks like, and it may be too much for the Cards to take on. I doubt a trade would be likely as well, because the Sox would probably hang on to him and hope he returns to form. Also, I don't know how Koch would react to being a set-up man. The Cards don't have much to trade except for Marrero, Stephenson/Simontacchi, and possibly Drew. I'm not familiar enough with the White Sox to know if any of the above players would be of interest.

MHOUSE
05-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by MattyMo4Life
I agree that Koch's trade value isn't very high right now which is why the Cards would be interested. Unlike the Red Sox and Giants the Cards are looking for a set-up guy that could close until Izzy returns. I'm not sure what Koch's contract looks like, and it may be too much for the Cards to take on. I doubt a trade would be likely as well, because the Sox would probably hang on to him and hope he returns to form. Also, I don't know how Koch would react to being a set-up man. The Cards don't have much to trade except for Marrero, Stephenson/Simontacchi, and possibly Drew. I'm not familiar enough with the White Sox to know if any of the above players would be of interest.

All four of those players mentioned sound good. I have heard Drew mentioned around here recently, but I like Simontacchi and IIRC Stephenson is a good young pitcher.

ssang
05-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
kw'S APPEARANCE ON am 1000 THE OTHER DAY SAID WITOUT A DOUBT kOCH WAS THE CLOSER.


I know this is just a simple statement by KW, but I don't understrand. Since when is the GM who proclaims who the closer of the ballclub is? Williams is always making statements about who is doing what. That's the manager's call, and not his. This SOB needs to go. Who the hell does he think he is? I hate KW and I wish the Sox would fire him and then have every single person in the organization Laugh and point fingers at him as he leaves the office! What an ass-clown.

MattyMo4Life
05-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
All four of those players mentioned sound good. I have heard Drew mentioned around here recently, but I like Simontacchi and IIRC Stephenson is a good young pitcher.

Drew is a player that I hope we don't trade unless it is for an eliete closer. However, with his injury history, he wouldn't bring one of the top closers. As for Stephenson and Simo, both are very good cheap pitchers. Trading either of them would put a hole in our rotation, but we need a good reliever to help solidify the pen.

MHOUSE
05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by MattyMo4Life
Drew is a player that I hope we don't trade unless it is for an eliete closer. However, with his injury history, he wouldn't bring one of the top closers. As for Stephenson and Simo, both are very good cheap pitchers. Trading either of them would put a hole in our rotation, but we need a good reliever to help solidify the pen.

The Sox would take a risk with Drew I think, but I dunno if Koch is good enough to get him. With Marrero injured now I guess he won't be part of a deal, but I dunno much about him as it is. I have always been a fan of Simmontacchi and I would like him as a Sox pitcher. He's better than Garland has been and I'd take him in a second. What are his recent stats like? This year, past couple of years?