PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 5-10-03 White Sox at Seattle

Jjav829
05-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Tonight's game starts at 9:05 cst with Bartolo Colon facing Gil Meche.

balboner
05-10-2003, 10:24 PM
This has got to be the worst tinkering job ever by our pathetic manager. No Frank, Konerko, or Lee in the line-up. The great willie harris lead off w/a great at-bat, striking out on 3 pitches. Down 2-0 already, why the hell are Kenny and JM still around?

duke of dorwood
05-10-2003, 10:27 PM
I got no problem with those 2 sitting, if someone else was picking up the slack. But Harris in the line up is a joke, leading off is inexplicable

Jurr
05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Well, we're already down two.
that should do it for the night.

balboner
05-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Can the Sox get no-hit tonight? No hits thru 3, and hard hit balls were few and far between. Maybe getting no-hit is what we need to get some changes made in the organization. It's f****** pathetic that the organization settles for mediocrity.

Jurr
05-10-2003, 10:41 PM
The sad thing is that bench is full of millionaires that know the same thing. 2-0 game...game over already. They are sitting there expecting this game to go like all the others and they will lose. Nobody will concentrate to get on base, everybody will take their hacks, ground out, strike out, and fly out, and sit down. While I type this, Meche is about to make a 2-2 pitch to Daubach....groundout. Hmmmm...who would've thunk it? Now I know what the Tigers fans feel like as Joe Crede hits a lazy fly. DJ is talking about .."Wait til Crede gets into a groove." My a**...
I think about the Buffalo Bills, my favorite football team since youth. A few years ago, they were mired in mediocrity. They had an 8-8 finish, and that was it. GM gone, coach gone, and a lot of talent gone. New blood was pumped in, and the Bills went through a 3-13 season afterwards. But, soon the new blood got pumping, good moves were made by a strong GM, and the Bills went 8-8 this past year. Now, they're loaded with new talent and are instant Super Bowl contenders with good coaching, great talent, and good chemistry. The moral of the story...sometimes, it takes a big jolt and scrapping the system to get things where they need to be. Ohh..by the way..The Sox have gone 1-2-3 again..and Ichiro just hit a bomb. 3-0...let the fun begin.

balboner
05-10-2003, 10:43 PM
can we trade Colon now before he loses even more trade stock? He looks like he's never read a scouting report before, and is basically throwing fast batting practice.

Jurr
05-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Are you all tired of hearing Hawk and DJ talk about stories of old baseball???? Damn..a couple anecdotes are okay, but it gets old after a while. come on!!!!!!!!!

balboner
05-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Does Gary Ward offer these guys any advice? That 2nd at bat by Mags was possibly the worst of his career. He's pulling off every single pitch. Yet, he hasnt changed anything for about 3 weeks.

MHOUSE
05-10-2003, 11:10 PM
I get more tired of the wait til Joe gets hot, the bullpen will be a strength, good job by jerry to shake things up, wait until billy koch is on. Well stopping excusing and waiting and do something! Make changes. Harris is a joke, Lee is a chump, Paulie isn't hot yet, Maggs keeps tryiong to hit homers, daubach was our best hitter last night for chrissakes. sheesh.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Balboner says:

It's f****** pathetic that the organization settles for mediocrity

Well it's a lot cheaper then trying for a championship!

Also just a thought on Hawk and DJ....what do you want them to say? That the Sox suck, the front office is incompetent and the owner is an egotistic, vindictive clown?

They'd be out of work tomorrow if they showed any type of honesty. Basically you can't ballyhoo a funeral and stories are all they've got to fill time.

Lip

chisox06
05-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Double in the gap nice work Maggs!

DonkeyKongerko
It's nice to see us hitting the ball on the road a bit.

balboner
Will someone please tell me that Joe Bochard is better than Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand? We have gotten no production at all out of either of these guys. We need someone in CF that can deliver an extra base hit once in a blue moon

ChiSox7
05-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Crede needs to figure out his hitting woes quickly, cause he's pretty horrible right now. most of them are pretty horrible, but he has the worst swings right now, and the only time he gets hits are when there are two outs and nobody on.

Viva Magglio
05-10-2003, 11:57 PM
El Tornado

The National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning tonight for LEE COUNTY which is west of DeKalb County. At the same time, Carlos Lee got on base. Hence, Lee is now El Tornado.

South Sider
05-11-2003, 12:51 AM
I can't believe it !!!
Finally some clutch hitting
Finally a comeback win
Finally some breaks for the Sox
Finally the bullpen holds on

Great Game Bartolo !
Nice work Marte !

Players of the game

Bartolo, Lee, Daubach, Jimenez, Maggs, Marte, Olivio

If we only could learn how lay down a bunt and/or move the runner over to 2nd
+
not hitting into DPs when we have 1st &3rd with nobody out.

But there are some signs of better things to come !!!!

Now I can go to sleep and dream of
a series win tomorrow

Go Mark !
Go Sox!

Let's get this season started !!!!!!!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :) :)

T Dog
05-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by South Sider
If we only could learn how lay down a bunt and/or move the runner over to 2nd
+
not hitting into DPs when we have 1st &3rd with nobody out.

But there are some signs of better things to come !!!!

I was only 2 the last time the Sox won a World Series game, but I believe the only run in the game (with Sandy Koufax pitching) was scored on a double play.

I was impressed with the way the Sox played tonight, both at the plate (coming from behind) and in the field.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2003, 01:59 AM
A few game observations:

1. Joe Crede is jerking his head off the ball badly. Check out the at bat when he hit into the double play in the 7th inning.

2. This is why we keep harping on "fundamentals." The Sox almost pissed this game away because Jimenez can't make a throw during a run down. Crede was damn lucky to pick that short hopped throw. If that ball gets past him, at a minimum Seattle has first and third with one out (because Bloomquist was running towards third on Jimenez's throw). If no one from the Sox was backing up Crede at 3rd, Bloomquist could have come all the way around to tie the game.

Little things mean a lot folks.

Lip

WhiteSoxWinner
05-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A few game observations:
2. This is why we keep harping on "fundamentals." The Sox almost pissed this game away because Jimenez can't make a throw during a run down. Crede was damn lucky to pick that short hopped throw. If that ball gets past him, at a minimum Seattle has first and third with one out (because Bloomquist was running towards third on Jimenez's throw). If no one from the Sox was backing up Crede at 3rd, Bloomquist could have come all the way around to tie the game.

I agree 100% with this statement. I mentioned the same thing to my buddy when we were watching the game. However, even on the replay I saw, it appeared that Carlos made the catch on that fly ball. It may have ended up as a snowcone, but it was a catch. Way wasn't it game over at that point, or did we get screwed on another call.

Brian26
05-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This is why we keep harping on "fundamentals." The Sox almost pissed this game away because Jimenez can't make a throw during a run down. Crede was damn lucky to pick that short hopped throw. If that ball gets past him, at a minimum Seattle has first and third with one out (because Bloomquist was running towards third on Jimenez's throw). If no one from the Sox was backing up Crede at 3rd, Bloomquist could have come all the way around to tie the game. Little things mean a lot folks.
Lip

Geezuz.

That was about as quirky of a play you'll ever see in a baseball game, and it turned out ok for us. What are you complaining about? The "fundamentals" in a run-down are making sure to run the player back to the other base before making a throw, and trying to limit the number of throws to a minimum. Jiminez throw was a little low, but it's a tough play to begin with. The Sox worked the rundown just fine. It was a nice defensive play in a critical moment. And I believe Colon was backing up third.

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Geezuz.

That was about as quirky of a play you'll ever see in a baseball game, and it turned out ok for us. What are you complaining about? Lip is never happy unless there is something to complain about. He will find something to criticize management about even in a win. I'm convinced that Lip would be miserable if the Sox got hot. This is a guy who thinks we'd all be better off if the Sox moved and an expansion team came to Chicago.

siugrad25
05-11-2003, 03:08 AM
I don't think I would have believed that ending unless I saw it with my own two eyes. When I saw that the Sox were down while I was at work I got so disgusted that I turned off MLB.com and figured it was another waste of time. I've already lost enough money on the Sox this season through personal bets with co-workers, but I'm so glad I made it home for this ending.

So is Marte or closer now? If so, doesn't Boston need a closer? I'm not trying to get rid of Koch, just trying to optimistically hope and pray that this is the start of something (even though we've all been let down before this season). I am still critical of the make-shift lineup today, but I'm too happy to complain.

Life is so much more pleasureable after a White Sox win, even if it's celebrated 1,300 miles away.

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 03:16 AM
The whole pickle play was particularly weird from the start.

First off, Bloomquist went too far off of second base on a sinking shot to left field. He was caught in "No Man's Land" as Hawk described it. As soon as he saw Carlos Lee trap it, he saw it as a catch and turned around.

Now, I don't know for sure, but Bloomquist probably saw Cameron, who running straight ahead, would've seen the third base umpire make the safe call, indicating the ball was not caught, running for second.

Bloomquist has run toward second, and is now heading back as El Tornado has already gotten the ball into third base.

So begins the rundown. Jimenez, who got the toss from Valentin (I believe), pump fakes to try to confuse the runner, but sees Bloomquist start to turn and winds up losing his grip on the ball and throwing it straight into the ground. Crede makes a nice pick and tags Bloomquist out.

A potential disaster avoided.

All in all, an impressive game by these White Sox. Let's see the series victory, all right, guys?

:smile:

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25
I don't think I would have believed that ending unless I saw it with my own two eyes. When I saw that the Sox were down while I was at work I got so disgusted that I turned off MLB.com and figured it was another waste of time. I've already lost enough money on the Sox this season through personal bets with co-workers, but I'm so glad I made it home for this ending.

So is Marte or closer now? If so, doesn't Boston need a closer? I'm not trying to get rid of Koch, just trying to optimistically hope and pray that this is the start of something (even though we've all been let down before this season). I am still critical of the make-shift lineup today, but I'm too happy to complain.

Life is so much more pleasureable after a White Sox win, even if it's celebrated 1,300 miles away.

Like I said, the ending was very strange, but the result desirable, nonetheless.

I have to believe Marte is the closer now. He's come in the last few save situations, while Koch has done mostly mop-up work.

Boston does need a closer, but I don't know if they'd be willing to go with Koch right now. I believe if Koch can regain his form somewhat, the deal would become more tempting, but I don't see Koch being traded to the Red Sox, or anybody else for that matter, anytime soon.

And, there's very little chance K-Dub is going to trade his "big" offseason acquisition, despite Manuel's demoting Koch for his shortcomings.

Hmm... There's a joke in there I'm not even going to touch.

And, siugrad25, you're absolutely right. Nothing like the wonderful feeling you get after a White Sox victory... Unless you're Lip.

:D:

baggio202
05-11-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I agree 100% with this statement. I mentioned the same thing to my buddy when we were watching the game. However, even on the replay I saw, it appeared that Carlos made the catch on that fly ball. It may have ended up as a snowcone, but it was a catch. Way wasn't it game over at that point, or did we get screwed on another call.

jimenez is going to become a real dilemma for manuel if he keeps hitting 300..because i dont ever think ive seen a worse defensive 2nd baseman with the white sox and that includes jorge orta...he missed 2 balls tonight that i couldnt believe...we saw the replays on both of the from behind the catcher and you could the whole plays comepletely...the one up the middle where jimenez hurt his wrist was unbelievable..it was a soft liner hit 4 steps to his right and he couldnt get to it..the one to his left was a little tougher but he wasnt even closehe has to have the worst range ive ever seen...how many balls have gone through for hits just out of his reach???..

a freind of mine told me he doesnt think jimenez's range is that bad he just thinks he is lazy...just doesnt get good jumps cause he doesnt stay focused..that could very well be too..whatever it is its not god for the sox..

he had 2 hits tonight..but his defense gave both of them back...dont know what to do with this guy..i cant believe some are advocating him to replace valentin od SS next year..

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
jimenez is going to become a real dilemma for manuel if he keeps hitting 300..because i dont ever think ive seen a worse defensive 2nd baseman with the white sox and that includes jorge orta...he missed 2 balls tonight that i couldnt believe...we saw the replays on both of the from behind the catcher and you could the whole plays comepletely...the one up the middle where jimenez hurt his wrist was unbelievable..it was a soft liner hit 4 steps to his right and he couldnt get to it..the one to his left was a little tougher but he wasnt even closehe has to have the worst range ive ever seen...how many balls have gone through for hits just out of his reach???..

a freind of mine told me he doesnt think jimenez's range is that bad he just thinks he is lazy...just doesnt get good jumps cause he doesnt stay focused..that could very well be too..whatever it is its not god for the sox..

he had 2 hits tonight..but his defense gave both of them back...dont know what to do with this guy..i cant believe some are advocating him to replace valentin od SS next year..

I think you have to know the Tinkerer's Theorem in order to figure this dilemma out.

"Tinkerer's Theorem: Part A - If GM does not interfere, Player B does not replace Player A until Player A becomes God-awful in most aspects of his game.

"Part B- If GM does not interfere, Player B then replaces Player A and does so for a couple games. Unless Player B plays like an all-star in all aspects of his game, Player A takes over again.

"Part C - If GM does interfere, Tinkerer's Theorem becomes GM's Postulate."

"GM's Postulate: How GM is feeling and how GM likes or dislikes Player A and Player B affects Tinkerer's Theorem."

And, for the deuce of it...

"Owner's Law: Under any and all circumstances, no matter what the situation, it's the fans' faults."

:jerry
"Gandhi couldn't have said it better himself."

:KW
"I never quite understood Geometry, anyway."

:reinsy
"I think the 'Owner's Law' is my new mantra!"

baggio202
05-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I think you have to know the Tinkerer's Theorem in order to figure this dilemma out.

"Tinkerer's Theorem: Part A - If GM does not interfere, Player B does not replace Player A until Player A becomes God-awful in most aspects of his game.

"Part B- If GM does not interfere, Player B then replaces Player A and does so for a couple games. Unless Player B plays like an all-star in all aspects of his game, Player A takes over again.

"Part C - If GM does interfere, Tinkerer's Theorem becomes GM's Postulate."

"GM's Postulate: How GM is feeling and how GM likes or dislikes Player A and Player B affects Tinkerer's Theorem."

And, for the deuce of it...

"Owner's Law: Under any and all circumstances, no matter what the situation, it's the fans' faults."

:jerry
"Gandhi couldn't have said it better himself."

:KW
"I never quite understood Geometry, anyway."

:reinsy
"I think the 'Owner's Law' is my new mantra!"

my vote for post of the week :D:

Lip Man 1
05-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Just pointing something out folks so that when it happens again and the Sox piss the game away you'll know that you've seen it before.

and I'd like to make a point clear (again) if I may.

I take NO pleasure in the Sox losing (I've seen it for 42 years so I should be used to it.) so if the Sox were to get hot it wouldn't bother me a bit. (I'd sleep better!)

I do think it's funny that I've seen caustic and criticle comments about practically everything regarding the Sox yet those posters don't seem to take the grief that I do. It seems some of you folks are trying to shoot the messanger and not listen to the message itself. That's fine, I have no problem with that but I think some of you should be a little fairer in your replys. Just because I say it doesn't make it wrong, yet when someone else says basically the same thing that's OK.

Nellie when the Sox actually do something right (like make a World Series) I'll be happy to give them all the credit in the world, till them winning a single lousy game isn't going to make me do cartwheels

(and I'm surprised as long a fan that you've been and as educated on the Sox as you are would get that enthused about mediocrity. Have Sox fans expectations sunk that low?)

Lip

WhiteSox = Life
05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
my vote for post of the week :D:

I could use one. It'd look good on my college application.

:D:

JUGGERNAUT
05-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Are you the ss from blogspot, espn?