PDA

View Full Version : would you belive Monday May 12th?

my5thbench
05-10-2003, 03:33 PM
the rumors I'm hearing are that the axe will fall on Kenny
Williams this coming Monday...I don't pretend to be an
insider, but the noise about it just seems too loud to
ignore. The Joe Cowley article is just too damming
& the timing couldn't be worse for Williams.

Don't be surprised if Gary Ward is relieved of his duties
sometime soon as well.

in the meantime there are a couple of games with the
Mariners that need to be won!

MRKARNO
05-10-2003, 03:43 PM
I want to believe it, but after the earlier hype, I'm a bit skeptical, but the earlier hype actually adds to the likelihood that this is coming. The sox need to have sweeping changes

1951Campbell
05-10-2003, 03:50 PM
I nominate Jerry Krause for GM and Michael Jordan for hitting coach. Hey, they're both available.

Paulwny
05-10-2003, 04:04 PM
After the sox are 10 gms out JR will have KW enact the fire sale. Then when the sox join the tigers at 20 gms out he'll fire KW and exonerate himself for the lack of quality players on the team. He'll also blame the lack of attendance as the cause of the fire sale. All blame will be put on the fans.

MHOUSE
05-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I don't want Kenny Williams managing a fire sale if he will be axed afterward. Let the new GM make trades and changes so he has a chance to do what he wants. Can't they do anything the right way?

Hangar18
05-10-2003, 05:20 PM
White Sox Baseball ......
Errors have been Made......Others Will Be Blamed

gosox41
05-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by my5thbench
the rumors I'm hearing are that the axe will fall on Kenny
Williams this coming Monday...I don't pretend to be an
insider, but the noise about it just seems too loud to
ignore. The Joe Cowley article is just too damming
& the timing couldn't be worse for Williams.

Don't be surprised if Gary Ward is relieved of his duties
sometime soon as well.

in the meantime there are a couple of games with the
Mariners that need to be won!

I haven't heard any new rumors others then what was posted here last week, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much because I'd hate to be disappointed if JR gets on one of his loyalty moods and keeps KW just to show all of us how smart him and KW are.

Any new rumors on Manuel's status? Would a new GM want to keep him or have his own guy?

Bob

duke of dorwood
05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
KW will not be fired, not by THIS owner.

doublem23
05-11-2003, 12:26 AM
If something is to happen I would assume it would happen around Monday or Tuesday because the team will be back at home.

baggio202
05-11-2003, 03:51 AM
something has already happened...whatever it is its for the better..manuel just pretty muched nameed marte his closer tonight...when you look back the last two seasons all of KE'S acqusitions for that season were run out there time after time no matter how many times they failed (ritchie , clayton ect) until the season was lost...jerry manuel just basically told KW his 6 million dollar closer was just allocated to mop up duty....that would have never happened if somebody didnt step in and do something...whether KW is fired or not..i think its obvious something happened and the reigns on KW have been severly tightened

Jerry_Manuel
05-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I haven't heard any new rumors others then what was posted here last week, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much because I'd hate to be disappointed if JR gets on one of his loyalty moods and keeps KW just to show all of us how smart him and KW are.

Any new rumors on Manuel's status? Would a new GM want to keep him or have his own guy?

All I heard about Manuel is that he won't be fired yet. Ward would be the next guy out the door after Williams.

Again, it is Einhorn who has been pushing for this so bad. Jerry won't say no to him.

Tragg
05-11-2003, 11:51 AM
If ownership told williams to let manuel manage, then that's a good thing; and it makes no sense to throw "good money after bad" just because they earn a lot or williams traded for them- cut the losses. And i agree that it appears that manuel was reluctant to do that in the past, with his refusal to even pinch hit for royce clayton (until late last year, when apparently he got the go ahead and completely benched clayton).
If Williams is gone, fine by me. But PLEASE don't bring Schueler back here, the one GM worse than KW.

gosox41
05-11-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
If ownership told williams to let manuel manage, then that's a good thing; and it makes no sense to throw "good money after bad" just because they earn a lot or williams traded for them- cut the losses. And i agree that it appears that manuel was reluctant to do that in the past, with his refusal to even pinch hit for royce clayton (until late last year, when apparently he got the go ahead and completely benched clayton).
If Williams is gone, fine by me. But PLEASE don't bring Schueler back here, the one GM worse than KW.

Schu is a Cub employee, I doubt the Sox would be dumb enough to bring him back.

I wonder how much pressure Williams applied to Manuel to play all his latest acquisitions. From Julio Ramirez to Royce Clayton. I'm more and more convinced that the teams problems have been more related to KW's interference more then JM's incompetence (though he does need to improve on some things.)

Bob

Tragg
05-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Schu is a Cub employee, I doubt the Sox would be dumb enough to bring him back.

Bob

Really - didn't know that. The last I'd heard he was applying for open GM jobs in places like Baltimore.

Well, if Billy Beane is as good a manger as everyone claims, then, like most good managers, he must have developed a quality understudy. Get him.

gosox41
05-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Really - didn't know that. The last I'd heard he was applying for open GM jobs in places like Baltimore.

Well, if Billy Beane is as good a manger as everyone claims, then, like most good managers, he must have developed a quality understudy. Get him.

I hope the Sox go after the master himself after this season. His latest understudy was hired by the Blue Jays as GM a couple of years ago. I don't know if there is anyone else.

Bob

MarkEdward
05-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I hope the Sox go after the master himself after this season. His latest understudy was hired by the Blue Jays as GM a couple of years ago. I don't know if there is anyone else.

Bob

Paul Depodesta is the A's assistant GM. I'd love to have him as our GM.

Jerko
05-12-2003, 11:10 AM
It's May 12. Any news yet? I heard the nitwits on the score today saying; Wait until July to fire Manuel. Well, if he's getting fired, the sooner the better. There is still time this season to catch up, but NOT WITH HIM IN CHARGE! How many other teams have a guy 2-23 batting leadoff? How many other teams' manager has already "closed out" his closer? Do you think Koch will ever flourish under Manuel after being taken out with 2 outs in the 9th last week? (even though that move might have very well saved Manuel's job?. Funny how the guy who led the league in saves over the last 3 years or so sucks all of a sudden, when the guy we got rid of who sucked last year has 10 saves. I blame Manuel for Foulke sucking last year; Foulke had classic closer mentality: "Bring me in in the 9th with a 1 run lead and I will get a save" I've said for 2 years "Do NOT bring Foulke into tie games or with a big lead. I'd bet that 80% of his losses were in those exact situations. Last year vs. Expos was classic. Sox and Expos tied in the bottom of the 8th, Howry in the bullpen. Sox don't score, here comes Foulke out for the 9th to face Guerrero. I was sitting there and I said, Here come's the tiebreaker and 2 seconds later, the first pitch sailed over the left field wall, 2-1 Expos, game over, stay for the sleep over. Brutal. JM does not notice PATTERNS! He's been making the same bone-headed calls year after year with different players! GET RID OF SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, NOW just to prove you still care White Sox. : :angry:

hold2dibber
05-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Getting rid of JM wouldn't bother me one bit. The team needs a shake-up, and this guy is simply not getting the most out of his players. With that said, I think a player shake-up is needed, too. This team has no heart, no hustle, no determination, no intensity. They need to deal Konerko, Lee, or (and it pains me to say this) Thomas. I don't blame those guys for the lack of heart -- but I think that trading one of the "name" players would shake the team out of the duldrums. And the team is in desparate need of a left handed hitter with some pop. I would think that one of those guys, perhaps bundled with a pitcher (White anyone? Almonte? Ginter? Glover?) could bring a decent lefthanded bat to the team. Or trade Konerko or Lee (plus minor leaguers) for a good starting pitcher and make Daubach an everyday player. Make some noise, wake up the team, show the fans you care. I understand that panicing won't help - but the writing on the wall is clear that this team needs some modification. Get it done now, before it's too late.

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I blame Manuel for Foulke sucking last year; Foulke had classic closer mentality: "Bring me in in the 9th with a 1 run lead and I will get a save" I've said for 2 years "Do NOT bring Foulke into tie games or with a big lead. I'd bet that 80% of his losses were in those exact situations. Last year vs. Expos was classic. Sox and Expos tied in the bottom of the 8th, Howry in the bullpen. Sox don't score, here comes Foulke out for the 9th to face Guerrero. I was sitting there and I said, Here come's the tiebreaker and 2 seconds later, the first pitch sailed over the left field wall, 2-1 Expos, game over, stay for the sleep over. Brutal. JM does not notice PATTERNS! He's been making the same bone-headed calls year after year with different players! GET RID OF SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, NOW just to prove you still care White Sox. : :angry:

Yes, good Point Jerko. I rmember how angry I got after that game. That was the streak where Manuel totally mismanaged that BullPen. Bringing Foulke in the 8th inning of that Yankee game comes to mind. He was brutal, but escaped damage by the skin of his teeth, so what does Manuel do? Trot out Foulke for the 9th. Foulke was frustrated and you could see it in his face he didnt have it, but was being left to Twist In the Wind.
Giambi comes up and that one sailed out to RF somewhere in the seats. Jerry needed to go by that point IMO

Jerko
05-12-2003, 11:55 AM
I agree 100% I've said for a year now after that Yankee series he (Manuel) should have been gone. The fact that he is still around proves one of two things; the Sox ownership is really, really stupid, or they plain just don't care. For this being all star year, good team year, etc. I have never seen such a lack of interest in this team. As for my Foulke point, I think the Sox had either a 3-1 or 4-1 lead when they put him in. Right there Foulke is 0-2 in either a tie game or a game with a multi-run lead.