PDA

View Full Version : No spark for this team

Jurr
05-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Do you honestly think that firing Jerry Manuel is going to do a damn bit of good? Realistically, no! The Sox were built to mash, while the league dictates that you need some pitching and defense to win now. You also need some people that can steal a base, manufacture a run, etc. We have no such people. It's just a straight fact. Any team that can pitch will pull this team's pants down and spank 'em. Look at a team like New York or Seattle. If they get into a situation where a good pitcher is facing them, they can get a walk, steal him over, and drive him in with a timely single or do the groundout/sac fly thing. That kind of team will win games that the Sox cannot. When a team is built strictly based on power, you'll see major inconsistency in the output. I, in all my days of playing and watching baseball, have never seen a team put together so poorly and without thought. Yeah, there's some great power in the middle of the lineup, but no tablesetters and no team speed. There's no situational hitting at all, and I'm not going to even mention the pitching. As fans, we want only one thing: for our team to win the world series. This team, if they got red hot, couldn't win it all. Just based on the way they're constructed, a series where you see Zito, Mulder, and Hudson (or fill in with the Yankees' pitching)....this team can't play enough small ball to hang. So...in a nutshell, firing a manager isn't anything but some attempt to vent out frustration on a scapegoat. Nothing good will come of it. Nothing worse will come of it. This just isn't a good team....it starts up top...That's where the changes should occur. Someone that knows baseball should GM this team.

Jurr
05-10-2003, 12:09 AM
I think they have a great team, they just don't come together for some reason," said Cleveland shortstop Omar Vizquel, whose Indians are 3-4 against the Sox. "I thought they'd be contending for the Central Division. They were one team everybody was talking about. But we played them, and they don't look like the team everybody was talking about. One day they're really good, and the next day they play like they don't care. I don't know, they're really inconsistent."

yup. sums it up!

DrCrawdad
05-10-2003, 12:16 AM
It's time for the Sox two big guys - Colon & Beuhrle to step up and pitch like big time pitchers. If they do, then maybe the Sox can salvage the road trip by coming away .500.

T Dog
05-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
It's time for the Sox two big guys - Colon & Beuhrle to step up and pitch like big time pitchers. If they do, then maybe the Sox can salvage the road trip by coming away .500.

Colon blew a 2-0 lead against the A's because he can't get Singleton out. The Sox had just beaten the Twinks two out of three. Losing that game was big, and losing that game was clearly Colon's fault.