PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 5-09-03 White Sox at Seattle

Jjav829
05-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Tonight's game starts at 9:05 cst with Danny Wright facing Ryan Franklin.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Ok, let's see what Danny has. Tonight will be our first indication as to whether or not we'll have 4 dependable starters (which doesn't include Garland).

konerkopeachy
05-09-2003, 09:19 PM
He seems to be in control so far. And that catch by Maggs just now was beautiful. Defensively so far, we're kickin' ass and calling names. Hell yes. Go Sox.

RKMeibalane
05-09-2003, 09:20 PM
2B- Jimenez
SS- Valentin
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
CF- Rios
1B- Konerko
LF- Daubach
3B- Crede
C- Alomar

lowesox
05-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Why wasn't Crede bunting with two on, none out and a 2 run lead? Why not try and bury them. Terrible managing.

TheBigHurt
05-09-2003, 09:25 PM
WHY do I keep getting kicked out of the chat.....WELL alright im out, ill come in later around 12:30 et

jeremyb1
05-09-2003, 09:25 PM
perhaps i'm being overly optimisitic but by my count this is three consecutive games we seem to be swinging the bats relatively well. i'm starting to think that we may be turning things around. only time will tell.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 09:26 PM
We never sacrifice, then wonder why we have so many GIDPs. Pathetic.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
perhaps i'm being overly optimisitic but by my count this is three consecutive games we seem to be swinging the bats relatively well. i'm starting to think that we may be turning things around. only time will tell.

Having two men on and nobody out, then not scoring anybody is as good a momentum killer as any though.

konerkopeachy
05-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

how DARE you be optimistic on THIS board.... :o:

this lead is nice, though, i do have to admit. this team still has a lot to prove, and hopefully they'll get that done.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 09:38 PM
LEts send Valentin to steal... LETS BE AGGRESIVE!!!

RKMeibalane
05-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Bad timing for the attempted steal. It's nice to see Manuel being aggressive, but that was not the right moment to do so. Stealing third with two outs is unwise, but attempting to do it with a left-handed hitter up is ridicuous. Manuel needs to pick his spots better.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 09:57 PM
There goes the momentum. And it all started with Seattle bunting their runners into scoring position. If the past few weeks are any indication, this game is about to be a blowout.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Bad timing for the attempted steal. It's nice to see Manuel being aggressive, but that was not the right moment to do so. Stealing third with two outs is unwise, but attempting to do it with a left-handed hitter up is ridicuous. Manuel needs to pick his spots better.

He should've sent him when thomas was up. That way if he's called out at least we're sending a message that we're coming after them. Sending him with two outs is stupid, because when he gets caught its a momentum killer.

RKMeibalane
05-09-2003, 10:20 PM
And for the second straight inning, the Sox threaten, but do not score.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 10:28 PM
This is terrible. This game is so important. If the Sox can win tonight, they'll only need to take one of the next two games to go .500 on this Oakland/Seattle trip. Considering the competition, and the way they've been playing - that'd be pretty good. And yet, there pissing this one away.

It's like every game they seem pick a point to roll over.

balboner
05-09-2003, 10:33 PM
This team totally sucks. In every crucial situation, it seems our players swing for the fences. How about a line drive swing once in a while. Sandy has gone about a month popping every thing up. Also, I guess Manuel whimped out w/Thomas batting 2nd. Dont look now, but Twins are 3.5 games in front of the Sox.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Any other team trailing by 2 runs is a close game. With the Whitesox....

lowesox
05-09-2003, 10:41 PM
WE had Franklin on the ropes early, and now he's about to turn in a quality start. I'll go ballistic if I read somewhere that he pitched well. It's the sox who are making pitchers look great.

I'm beside myself.

Viva Magglio
05-09-2003, 10:48 PM
This is pitiful, and the front office is not going to do a damn thing about it.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This is pitiful, and the front office is not going to do a damn thing about it.

Its pretty shameful when a team's fans know they've blown a game when their trailing by 2 runs in the sixth. This team has no heart. At leat Detroit fans have the defense of having no talent.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 10:53 PM
3 games under 5 hundred. 4 games back of the twins. And no heart. I've fought this for so long, but I think this season is over for this team.

Its so frustrating with the players we had I was sure that I'd have 162 games of quality baseball to watch. But its not even the summer yet and baseball season is over.

LEt's overhaul this team. And start with our a$$hole GM.

WinningUgly!
05-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Rios & Daubach in the same outfield....uuhhhhhhggg! :angry:

balboner
05-09-2003, 10:57 PM
You cant win in the majors w/o a real centerfielder!!! Putitng a 2b in Harris and corner outfielder in Rios in cf will help a team. I blame this fiasco of a season on KW. There's no reason Manuel should still have a job, no reason Gary Ward should have a job, and no reason he should be allowed to make anymore decisions.

lowesox
05-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by balboner
You cant win in the majors w/o a real centerfielder!!! Putitng a 2b in Harris and corner outfielder in Rios in cf will help a team. I blame this fiasco of a season on KW. There's no reason Manuel should still have a job, no reason Gary Ward should have a job, and no reason he should be allowed to make anymore decisions.

Gary Ward should not only be fired. He should be banned from baseball.

Jurr
05-09-2003, 11:05 PM
At least watching the Sox lose is becoming routine. We're not used to seeing them win very much. I am growing pretty immune to getting pissed about this team. They're a paper champ...a ball of expectation. I haven't seen a team like this before. They were built with no speed, no ability to manufacture runs....not one guy that can bunt or situationally hit. Weird. Then, one phase of the team gets going, and another falls off. It's sad, but this team just doesn't look very good. I don't care if they win 6 or 7 in a row after tonight. They're just not a good enough ball team, and the main goal is to see them in the series. Even if they went to the playoffs, you think they could beat an Oakland or New York 4 out of 7? Hell no. So, I just enjoy watching them play to see what happens. You can't expect this team to win 100 games or go to the series, so there's no point in getting all worked up about it. We're going to one day see the Sox with a ring, but it's not coming soon. So just enjoy baseball!

lowesox
05-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
At least watching the Sox lose is becoming routine. We're not used to seeing them win very much. I am growing pretty immune to getting pissed about this team. They're a paper champ...a ball of expectation. I haven't seen a team like this before. They were built with no speed, no ability to manufacture runs....not one guy that can bunt or situationally hit. Weird. Then, one phase of the team gets going, and another falls off. It's sad, but this team just doesn't look very good. I don't care if they win 6 or 7 in a row after tonight. They're just not a good enough ball team, and the main goal is to see them in the series. Even if they went to the playoffs, you think they could beat an Oakland or New York 4 out of 7? Hell no. So, I just enjoy watching them play to see what happens. You can't expect this team to win 100 games or go to the series, so there's no point in getting all worked up about it. We're going to one day see the Sox with a ring, but it's not coming soon. So just enjoy baseball!

I refuse to support losers. That's what this team is.

Jurr
05-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Yeah...this gang isn't built to contend. As I say this, Rios grounds into another DP...whoooooooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!
White Sox baseball: Come ready to play the same way next year.

MRKARNO
05-09-2003, 11:29 PM
We all know the reasons, I dont have to restate them, it's just that the board looks empty without a thread like this. Rios should not be batting 5th, that's what I call "Doing abolutely everything to save my job" desperate.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6360064
The second story is about how manuel might get fired. I hope he does. KW not resigning was kind of a letdown

Viva Magglio
05-09-2003, 11:52 PM
While we want heads to roll over this continued corpseball, we should not each hold our breath waiting for it to happen. The organization from Jerry Reinsdorf on down is too stubborn to make changes. Like Emperor Nero, Reinsdorf is idly sitting over the team playing his fiddle as it is engulfed in a conflagration.

On top of that is the organization's arrogance, from Reinsdorf on down. Jon Garland's comments that we as fans should not boo bad performances on the field is merely a byproduct of that arrogance. The organization looks down its nose upon us the fandom and only serves to ailenate more fans in doing so.

If Reinsdorf were to be asked what he thought of this mediocre start, I bet he would respond by saying "Well, back in 1983..." Hey! I am tired of hearing about 1983. Yeah, it was great the way we roared to 99 wins after getting off to a slow start. But, really, how often do slow starts give way to mediocre seasons? Huh?

We have sucked since mid-2000, and a malaise has hung over the franchise since the 1994 strike. The only way the malaise will dissipate is for Reinsdorf to sell to team to someone who seriously cares about winning and is interested in making fans happy instead of finding ways to ailenate the fans. We also need a new owner that will pay money for good leadership.

Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel are both byproducts of Reinsdorf hiring on the cheap. I would like to know how much money Williams Manuel make in comparison to MLB's top executives and perennial October field managers. All this does is prove the old adage "You get what you pay for?"

We are now three games under the .500-mark. We blew a change to gain 1˝ games on Kansas City and keep pace with Minnesota. A malaise indeed, and I would only expect more of the same as long as Jerry Reinsdorf continues to call the shots.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Just wondering...

Is the sky falling yet?

Lip

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering...

Is the sky falling yet?

Lip What bothers me, Lip, is that you enjoy this so much. I really think you'd be miserable if the Sox were to enjoy major success, because it would interfere with your hatred of Sox management. You can only be "right" if the Sox lose.

duke of dorwood
05-10-2003, 07:35 AM
This is a miserable time. With the exception of the dropped Jiminez pop up, we are not losing because of an isolated bad play, or a bad call. Its a collective ball of confusion that keeps on rolling.

Hangar18
05-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering...

Is the sky falling yet?

Lip

The Sky FELL already. This season is done. This team just cannot put any kind of streak or play with any kind of consistency.
As Soon as the game became tied 2-2, did anyone notice the look on the players faces? they were already resigned to losing the game. This is Terrible.