PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark on Frank Thomas


SoxxoS
05-09-2003, 03:11 PM
<<<Almost six weeks into the season, the White Sox are scuffling to score runs. One of the most amazing numbers on their stat sheet is this: Frank Thomas is hitting .183 against right-handed pitching, with more strikeouts (15) and walks (17) than hits (13).

"His bat is so slow now," said one AL scout, "that he can't hit a good inside fastball if you tell him it's coming. He just can't handle that inside gas. The only balls he hits are breaking balls or, if he really cheats, some fastballs away. But that's it.">>>


We may have Singleton II on our hands.

Hullett_Fan
05-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
[B"His bat is so slow now," said one AL scout, "that he can't hit a good inside fastball if you tell him it's coming. He just can't handle that inside gas. The only balls he hits are breaking balls or, if he really cheats, some fastballs away. But that's it."[/B]

I don't think it's the swing that is slow...just his timing. He still pauses or tenses up before he decides to swing through. I think he's got it in his head that the pitch will be out of the zone before the pitcher releases. In other words, he's looking to draw a walk instead of being aggressive!

jeremyb1
05-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
<<<Almost six weeks into the season, the White Sox are scuffling to score runs. One of the most amazing numbers on their stat sheet is this: Frank Thomas is hitting .183 against right-handed pitching, with more strikeouts (15) and walks (17) than hits (13).

"His bat is so slow now," said one AL scout, "that he can't hit a good inside fastball if you tell him it's coming. He just can't handle that inside gas. The only balls he hits are breaking balls or, if he really cheats, some fastballs away. But that's it.">>>

We may have Singleton II on our hands.

i don't know. i'm still somewhat skeptical. that's the first i've ever heard of any scout claiming frank has lost bat speed. is it really that he's losing it physically or that he's just having a hard time adjusting to the inside pitch mentally? i'm not sure. i'd like to think franks not starting to deteriorate physically at 34 but i guess he is getting up there.

his 4 hit game the other day has me hoping he's turning it around. with a .917 ops he's still quite productive offensively. if his hitting continues to come around watch out.

Randar68
05-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't know. i'm still somewhat skeptical. that's the first i've ever heard of any scout claiming frank has lost bat speed. is it really that he's losing it physically or that he's just having a hard time adjusting to the inside pitch mentally? i'm not sure. i'd like to think franks not starting to deteriorate physically at 34 but i guess he is getting up there.

his 4 hit game the other day has me hoping he's turning it around. with a .917 ops he's still quite productive offensively. if his hitting continues to come around watch out.

His bat is not slow, per-say. He has too much extra movement right now. His bat is just as quick through the zone, but he is late on everything inside because he is not aggressive as jeremy said.

He has a bit of extra movement with his hands that he never had pre-2001. It's causing a long and inconsistent swing. As soon as he get's a little more aggressive I expect it will cure itself...

joecrede
05-09-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm more worried about Thomas not being able to drive the pitch on the outside part of the plate the opposite way than I am about him not being able to handle the pitch inside. He seems to have lost that ability since his injury in '01. If you notice sometimes when he hits the ball the other way now his lead arm kind of collapses at the point of contact and he's not able to generate any power.

Back to the inside pitch, if I were him, I'd just lay off it. Force the umpire to call that pitch a strike rather than attempting to "adjust" to the pitcher.

And for goodness sakes, stick with one stance for more than 2 consecutive ab's. When you change your stance, you're telegraghing to the pitcher that you're having problems with a certain pitch.

Bisco Stu
05-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah, a player's washed up when he gets 5 hits in a 24 hour span...

MisterB
05-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I'm more worried about Thomas not being able to drive the pitch on the outside part of the plate the opposite way than I am about him not being able to handle the pitch inside. He seems to have lost that ability since his injury in '01. If you notice sometimes when he hits the ball the other way now his lead arm kind of collapses at the point of contact and he's not able to generate any power.

For what it's worth, I was at Wed.'s game in Oakland and was early enough to see Sox batting practice. Frank's entire first round in the cage he was working on hitting to right. He obviously knows its a problem and he's working on it. Perhaps he's trying too hard to stay back and go the other way and as a consequence is late on fastballs on the inner half. Just a theory.

34 Inch Stick
05-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Chris Singleton is hitting around .300 (not the first time in his career he has been there either).

He would be the starting center fielder on this team, as he would have been in every year since he was traded.

I know Singleton has his deficencies but he was a solid player and a good guy.

Hangar18
05-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Chris Singleton is hitting around .300 (not the first time in his career he has been there either).

He would be the starting center fielder on this team, as he would have been in every year since he was traded.

I know Singleton has his deficencies but he was a solid player and a good guy.

If he hadnt hit .249 in 2001, he'd still be here. He was Terrible
that year. We needed him

Hangar18
05-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
For what it's worth, I was at Wed.'s game in Oakland and was early enough to see Sox batting practice. Frank's entire first round in the cage he was working on hitting to right. He obviously knows its a problem and he's working on it. Perhaps he's trying too hard to stay back and go the other way and as a consequence is late on fastballs on the inner half. Just a theory.

Say Bisco and Mr.B, you guys were at the game? Did you guys notice the Sox fans BOOING Garland ?? Im hearing thats what got him riled up. I think its Excellent, he figures he can stink on the Road, and he can Escape the Sox Fans Wrath heh heh
Im going to be in Minny next weekend, and Im sure Garland is going to STINK again, and Im going to BOO him. of course if he does well, im going to cheer loudly and say "keep it up jonny"

MisterB
05-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Say Bisco and Mr.B, you guys were at the game? Did you guys notice the Sox fans BOOING Garland ?? Im hearing thats what got him riled up. I think its Excellent, he figures he can stink on the Road, and he can Escape the Sox Fans Wrath heh heh
Im going to be in Minny next weekend, and Im sure Garland is going to STINK again, and Im going to BOO him. of course if he does well, im going to cheer loudly and say "keep it up jonny"

Uh...Loaiza started Wed.'s game. Although some A's fans were booing Lilly before he got pulled...