PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre retro jersey

MarqSox
05-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Anyone wanna try and explain this thing?
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/shop.mlb.com/v2.0-img/operations/mlbhost/watermark/j/s/p/jsp03_cws_g3all450.jpg
It's got a 1917 logo with the ambiguous "All-Stars" written on it, even though the concept of the game wasn't invented for another 16 years ... the number 16 seems random ... what's with the boat steering wheel thing on the sleeve ... and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they wore V-neck pullovers back then.

Not to mention, it's just a dang ugly uniform. Of course, you can buy it at whitesox.com ...

Man, between this thing and the bobble heads, somebody over at MLB is a little to creative for his own good.

MarqSox
05-09-2003, 02:03 PM
As long as we're on the subject of jerseys, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's the first I've seen of it ... Here's what the All Star jerseys will look like.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/shop.mlb.com/v2.0-img/operations/mlbhost/watermark/j/s/p/jsp03_amr_2003asg450.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/shop.mlb.com/v2.0-img/operations/mlbhost/watermark/j/s/p/jsp03_nat_2003asg450.jpg
I guess the lettering is supposed to invoke memories of the Sox jerseys of the 1970s, but I wish they'd used the olde English font of the current logo.

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 02:38 PM
How come the National League gets the cool unis and the home team gets stuck with some generic looking crap? Black is my favorite color too. It's really going to suck seeing the dillrods of the NL get the cool unis.

On the other hand I guess this means I can reserve my Jon Garland All-Star jersey right now!!!

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-09-2003, 02:40 PM
eh, i'm guessing they'll only use those for practice/home run derby and use their regular jerseys for the actual game

Blueprint1
05-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Home team in Light colors
Away team in dark colors

Thats the way it should always be.

Foulke You
05-09-2003, 02:43 PM
I was hoping the script would look more "Sox like" than what they are using. The font should be bigger too. It's going to look awkward on big players like Bonds. Oh well, they are average at best but at least they are better than the Milwaukee ones that were snot yellow last year.

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Away in dark, home in light

I know, but God I hate light colors. Why couldn't they at least have made them silver? I especially hate this current trend in the NFL of wearing all white. That disgusts me. I hate white. :angry:

That brings another good question to mind. Why do home teams in the NFL wear dark colors, but in every other sport the home team wears white?

TheBigHurt
05-09-2003, 03:03 PM
MARQ Sox, I like it :) ....I may buy my 1st ever "retro" Sox Jersey BE GOOD

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Why do home teams in the NFL wear dark colors, but in every other sport the home team wears white? The home team in the NFL gets to choose which jersey to wear; that's how the Cowboys always used to wear white all the time, home and road. They chose white at home, other home teams almost always chose dark. Sometimes a team playing the Cowboys would choose white just to mess with them.

Baseball has always been white home, other than white on the road. NFL used to have both teams wearing their colors, until TV came along, and you couldn't tell them apart on the B&W screen.

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I shouldve known that, after seeing those ridiculously ugly "bobbleheads", that the All-Star uniforms were going to be just as Ugly. I wont be buying any of that crap. and that "retro" jersey with the Nautical steering wheel, is awful looking, sorry BigHurt heh heh.

Brian26
05-10-2003, 02:27 AM
That retro jersey is made of a velvet material too, believe it or not. Saw it at Grandstand. It's part of the whole "rapper's/Mitchell and Ness" trend going on. Ugly jersey, and probably would be hotter than hell to actually wear.

:wills

"Make sure to stop in and say hi to Rosemary at Grandstand after you're finished up with Pete and Al at Mancari's Chrysler/Jeep/Plymouth and before you head down to TC's Pub in Oak Lawn and talk to my dear friends Ernie, unless I'm at Jimbo's in Evergreen Park......."

hsnterprize
05-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
As long as we're on the subject of jerseys, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's the first I've seen of it ... Here's what the All Star jerseys will look like.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/shop.mlb.com/v2.0-img/operations/mlbhost/watermark/j/s/p/jsp03_amr_2003asg450.jpg
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/shop.mlb.com/v2.0-img/operations/mlbhost/watermark/j/s/p/jsp03_nat_2003asg450.jpg
I guess the lettering is supposed to invoke memories of the Sox jerseys of the 1970s, but I wish they'd used the olde English font of the current logo. And here I am thinking they'll use some kind of cursive or script writing on the warm-up jerseys that looks like the current ones. So much for thinking logically.

ShoelessFred
05-10-2003, 04:37 PM
the sox always do the stupidest dumbest things. my god are we gonna have a tribute to harold baines before the all star game???

AHHHHHHHHH

:o:

MarkEdward
05-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
the sox always do the stupidest dumbest things. my god are we gonna have a tribute to harold baines before the all star game???

AHHHHHHHHH

:o:

Why would that be stupid? Sure, he's not the greatest player in Sox history, but he was a damn good player, and worthy of a tribute.

Say, where's Luis Aparicio these days? Any chance of him making an appearance at the ASG?

kermittheefrog
05-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
How come the National League gets the cool unis and the home team gets stuck with some generic looking crap? Black is my favorite color too. It's really going to suck seeing the dillrods of the NL get the cool unis.

On the other hand I guess this means I can reserve my Jon Garland All-Star jersey right now!!!

I actually like the AL jerseys more. I don't like the red outline lettering on the NL ones.

sox_fan_forever
05-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

:wills

"Make sure to stop in and say hi to Rosemary at Grandstand after you're finished up with Pete and Al at Mancari's Chrysler/Jeep/Plymouth and before you head down to TC's Pub in Oak Lawn and talk to my dear friends Ernie, unless I'm at Jimbo's in Evergreen Park......."

LOL!

siugrad25
05-11-2003, 02:01 AM
I went ahead and pre-ordered the AL All-Star game jersey. Now all I need is a White Sox representitive to complete the lettering (if I do it). It's hard to find All-Star merchandise down here (obviously), so whatever I can find, I try to get it.

As for that 'retro' jersey, I'm stunned that the MLB shop would even put that on their Web site. I would be embarrassed to trot that jersey out there for the public. Then again, I have seen some of the lifesize bobble heads.... They're not God-awful, but they sort of scare me.... :)

hsnterprize
05-12-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I was hoping the script would look more "Sox like" than what they are using. The font should be bigger too. It's going to look awkward on big players like Bonds. Oh well, they are average at best but at least they are better than the Milwaukee ones that were snot yellow last year. This is what the All-Star Game's warm-up jerseys look like on EA Sports' "MVP Baseball 2003". This pic is from the PC version of the game. (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/mvpbaseball2003/screens.html?page=9)

Hangar18
05-12-2003, 08:25 AM
these are from a videogame?
those are actually Interesting. they look like theyre current uniforms now. hmmmmmmmm............