PDA

View Full Version : A Decade Of Despair

RKMeibalane
05-09-2003, 12:43 PM
The Chicago White Sox tore through the American League in 1993, capturing the AL West Division Championship. Frank Thomas won his first Most Valuable Player award, and Jack McDowell won over twenty games. The Sox lost the ALCS to the Toronto Blue Jays in six games, but everyone felt good about baseball on Chicago's South Side.

Ten years later, it's come to this: the White Sox are hovering around the .500 mark. The offense has been inconsistent, and the pitching staff has underperformed, especially the individual who occupies the number three spot in the rotation. What does Sox managment intend to do about this? Nothing.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

Jon Garland is a disaster on the pitcher's mound. Yet Ken Williams does nothing but make excuses for his poor performance, saying that he "belives in the talent." Give me a break! What Garland has in talent, he lacks in maturity. His ERA is over seven! SEVEN! And he thinks that fans shouldn't rip his sorry ass. Why not? It's obvious he doesn't care. He sits in the dugout with that stupid smirk on his face. There's no emotion. No passion. No drive to become a better pitcher.

Brian26
05-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Not really sure what the title of your post has to do with Jon Garland. What does Garland have to do with the type of teams the Sox fielded in '93, '94 or '97 for that matter? Why is it Jerry Reinsdorf's fault that Garland made a stupid comment on the radio last night?

This seems to be the status quo around here lately, in that people wrap up every possible problem into one nice, tight package. Reinsdorf is not the problem for the anemic play from the Sox this year. That rests soley on the players at this point. Reinsdorf, Williams, and Manual have all done their jobs. The players haven't.

Furthermore, the Sox have had some great seasons over the past decade. No, they haven't won 10 straight division titles, but they have been competitive most of the time. 1993, 1994, 1996, half of '97, half of '99, 2000, half of 2k1 and half of 2k2. They've finished in 1st or 2nd place every year except one since the new divisions were created. In the years they haven't been super competitive, they've still been fun to watch with the influx of young players.

Yes, Garland sucks. No, the Sox have been a very competitive franchise since the last half of 1989 (except the obvious '98/'99 rebuilding years). The sky isn't falling yet. Hang in there.

soxnut
05-09-2003, 05:39 PM
:hawk
dadgum right Brian26!!! :smile: :gulp:

RKMeibalane
05-09-2003, 06:55 PM
That was actually supposed to be a more elaborate post, but I quickly ran out of energy when typing it.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2003, 01:51 AM
Just wondering....

Wasn't the White Flag Infamy on July 31, 1997 supposed to give the White Sox a bright future?

LOL

Lip

Dan H
05-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering....

Wasn't the White Flag Infamy on July 31, 1997 supposed to give the White Sox a bright future?

LOL

Lip

That was what we were told. We were told that building from the ground up was the way to go. But was this building from the ground up or just building the cheap way?

The simple fact is the Sox have not develped a cohesive starting pitching rotation through trades, free agency or by developing young talent. Jerry Reinsdorf staked his reputation not only on that trade but on the whole philosophy behind it. So far, we have the division title in 2000 and that is it.

Goofy Tom Waddle tells us to be patient. I'm more in tune with the only leader the Sox have - Jose Valentin. He says it's no longer early. This is no time for Hope Springs Eternal and sitting around waiting for people to come out of slumps. Some decisive action needs to be taken, and I don't want to see another White Flag trade. Jerry Reinsdorf says he wants to win. It is time he proves it instead of worrying about proving us wrong.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Dan:

There is wisdom in your comments. You're a wise man.

Lip

Brian26
05-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
Jerry Reinsdorf says he wants to win. It is time he proves it instead of worrying about proving us wrong.

I just don't get it. Wasn't this team a championship caliber team before the season? This team has enough talent to win the division, at the very least, very easily. In my mind, Jerry Reinsdorf has done his job. The players haven't performed up to expectations, and their is some intangible element that's missing from this team right now. Whether that intangible is chemistry, heart, fighting spirit....I don't know.

Reinsdorf can't be blamed right now. The players haven't performed, and there is nobody to blame but them.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I just don't get it. Wasn't this team a championship caliber team before the season? This team has enough talent to win the division, at the very least, very easily. In my mind, Jerry Reinsdorf has done his job. The players haven't performed up to expectations, and their is some intangible element that's missing from this team right now. Whether that intangible is chemistry, heart, fighting spirit....I don't know.

Reinsdorf can't be blamed right now. The players haven't performed, and there is nobody to blame but them.

If I had to put the blame on someone for the Sox struggles, it would be Jerry Manuel. His pacifist tendencies have turned the White Sox into a collection of zombies, especially when they play on the road. At times, it appears as though no one seems to care about his job.

Furthermore, Manuel has repeatedly shown a reluctance to punish players who are performing poorly, or who have made a crucial mistake during the course of a game. Think back to last season, June 7, 2002 to be exact. This was the night that Carlos Lee was picked off of third base in the ninth inning of a close game. How did Manuel respond to the siutation? He allowed Carlos to start the next game.

The Sox have been one of the worst teams in baseball over the past few seasons when it comes to executing and playing solid fundamental baseball. This has continued in 2003. Several players have been picked off or thrown out when attempting to steal. Some of these decisions were made by Manuel because he was trying to be aggressive. Others were made by the players themselves.

I can't fault Manuel for being aggressive, because this is something he needs to work on. However, I do find fault with the players who made poor base-running decisions. What did Manuel do to these individuals? Nothing.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Brian:

With respect... some of us felt even WITH the improvements (and I think the Sox did improve themselves) the Sox were not a "championship caliber" team even in a weak division.

Like has already been posted you need pitching, defense and fundamentals to win... you simply can't expect a three run home run twice a night.

Lip