PDA

View Full Version : Favourite WhiteSox past and present:

lowesox
05-08-2003, 10:38 PM
I thought we could all use a thread that wasn't talking about how bad the Sox have been.

Mine are:
Past: Robin Ventura
Present: Olivo with Wunsch finishing a close second.

Who do you guys like?

TornLabrum
05-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Past: Nellie Fox
Present: Magglio Ordonez

WhiteSoxWinner
05-08-2003, 10:50 PM
An excellent question. Very tough to say.

Past: Ozzie Guillen (Honorable Mention: Joey Cora - gotta like the guys hustle)
Present: Joe Crede (Honorable Mention: Paul Konerko)

idseer
05-08-2003, 10:53 PM
past - nellie fox

present - ordonez

(olivo could become my favorite if he sticks)

lowesox
05-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
An excellent question. Very tough to say.

Present: Joe Crede (Honorable Mention: Paul Konerko)

Ah.. I loved Joe Cora too. Now there was a sparkplug. Crede is also very high on my list. I think he's going to be an excellent cluth player one day.

LuvSox
05-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Past: Dent, Gossage, Downing, Fox, Lollar, Wynn, Fisk, Baines, Paciorek, McDowell (I never liked Ken Berry as a tyke because I thought he was on Mayberry R.F.D. & I hated that show. :D: )

Present: Today--nobody. Usually----Maggs. Crede, Alomar.

Dadawg_77
05-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Past: Fisk
Current: Hurt

1951Campbell
05-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Past:

Fisk--thanks Red Sox! Should have got that offer in, you dumb***es!

Harold--no explantion needed.

The Bull.

Dennis Lamp.

Kittle.

Ozzie--great guy. Never walked, but at least I shook his hand. "I can't wait for 1994." Oh well. Blame JR.

Matt Murello--just 'cuz I got his autograph.

Thiggy.

Bo.

Present:

Manos--the Sammy Sosa home run act he did at Wrigley after he hit his washes away any sin he commits. I wish I had a video of that. Best "FU" moment in baseball that I can remember.

Frank--greatest hitter of the '90s.

Blackjack.

JB--aka "Lamont"

Maggs.

Paulie.

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 11:45 PM
AS a young Sox fan---
PAST: 1. Harold Baines 2. Ray Durham 3. Robin Venture (HATE his dam Yankmee team)
Present: 1. Frank Thomas 2. Wee Willie Harris 3. Garland
BE GOOD

soxnut
05-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Past: Bill Stein(just kidding) :D:
Lemon, Squires, Fisk, Baines, Paciorek, Ventura, Guillen, Simas

Present: Valentine, Crede, Magglio, Alomar, Frank

:?:

Daver
05-08-2003, 11:56 PM
As a kid I could usually get my uncle to take me to one Sox game a year,provided I could come up with the cash to pay for admission( my uncle was not a baseball fan) so I would save up what I made tossing newspapers and selling striped bass for the chance to go to the ballpark. I always made sure we got there early,so that I could watch batting practice,Greg Luzinkski never failed to bounce one off the roof during practice when I was there,and he was also nice enough to sign whatever I had at the time.

As for today's players,I like Konerko and Valentin,because they are not afraid to be team leaders,regardless of what it costs them in press.

MHOUSE
05-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Past: Ozzie Guillen, Ray-Ray, Rocky Biddle

Present: Buehrle, Maggs, Rowand, Wunsch, Marte, Olivo, Paulie, Danny Wright

MarkEdward
05-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Past: Donn Pall, Robin Ventura, Mark Johnson, Tim Raines.

Present: Mark Buehrle, Damaso Marte, Frank Thomas, Joe Crede.

T Dog
05-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

And the San Diego Padres paid for their English lessons, ironic considering that both the city name and team name are Spanish.

I'm haven't found anyone to replace Rocky Biddle as my current favorite. I have a lot of Sox favorites from the past, but there will never be another Carlos May.

Mammoo
05-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Fox.....Maggs....

...and proud of it!

baggio202
05-09-2003, 02:47 AM
baines

valentin , soon to be olivo

Brian26
05-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Robin

Tony G lately. Always seems to get that clutch hit and hustle his ass off when he gets a chance to play.

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Past- Thiggy (obviously)
Luzinski (his physical build and the facial hair always reminded me of my dad when I was 7)
Ventura
Lance Johnson
Fisk
Karkovice
JB
Guillen

Present- Pauly, Jose, Maggs, Crede, Carlos, Marte

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Past: Jack McDowell, Psycho Lyons, Harold, Fisk, Bucky Dent,
Britt Burns, RIBBIE

Present: Maggs, JoseJoseJose Valentin, Aaron Rowand is a cool guy

soxgal40
05-09-2003, 10:05 AM
you all might think i'm crazy...but:

past: Jim Parque, Mike Sirotka, Herbert Perry, Keith Foulke, Chris Singleton, and Bobby Howry, oh, also Mike Caruso (not a favorite, but a fan)

present: Maggs, Graffanino, Lee, Garland, and Stewart

thecell
05-09-2003, 10:15 AM
past: Ron Santo...yeah right; Ventura
current: Valentin

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by soxgal40
you all might think i'm crazy...but:

past: Jim Parque, Mike Sirotka, Herbert Perry, Keith Foulke, Chris Singleton, and Bobby Howry, oh, also Mike Caruso (not a favorite, but a fan)

present: Maggs, Graffanino, Lee, Garland, and Stewart

Hey SoxGal, its funny because your past players werent that far past. Cant believe the 2000 team is basically defunct now...
that first month they had, the 18-7 April that basically put them in the playoffs was fun

Gargamelle
05-09-2003, 10:27 AM
My picks:

Past: Robin Ventura (still my favorite player, even if he IS a Yankee)

Present: Mark Buehrle

whitesoxwilkes
05-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Old School past: Nellie Fox, Billy Pierce

More recent past: Ventura, Melton (the guy is a riot)

Current: Konerko

Procol Harum
05-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Understand that this is a list 43 years in the making... :D:

-Nellie Fox
-Cam Carreon
-Dave Nicholson
-Smoky Burgess
-Joel Horlen
-Walt "No-Neck" Williams
-Rich McKinney
-Bill Melton
-Wilbur Wood
-Ross Baumgarten
-Britt Burns
-Pudge
-Ozzie
-Black Jack (even if he was something of a tool)
-Bobby Thigpen
-The Milkman
-Joe Cruh-day

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Does Ribbie count as a Player? I hope so.

wassagstdu
05-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Past: Aparicio, Pierce, Guillen, Fox, Landis, Bo Jackson, Carrasquel, Hibbard
Present: Uhhhhhh...

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Sammy Sosa

Actually he was one of my favorites before he started doing "Flinstones" and got moved to the north side. His free swingingness and stupidity were charming to me earlier in my life. Now, I can't think of another person on earth (other than Osama) that I would rather see a nuclear warhead accidentily detonated on. :D:

daveb816
05-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Past: Wilbur Wood, Harold Baines
Current: Jose Valentin

Lip Man 1
05-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Showing the love for Billy Pierce, Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, Gary Peters, Tommy John, Joe Horlen, Dick Allen, Wilbur Wood, Bill Menton, Richie Zisk, Carlton Fisk, Jack mcDowell, Robin ventura, Frank Thomas, and Donn Pall.

Lip

Foulke You
05-09-2003, 03:38 PM
PAST-

Ron Kittle- For his roofshot homers and great media quotes. Anyone remember those Kittle TV commercial spots where he was arguing with the ump "It was a ball, you cross eyed old goat!!"

Carlton Fisk- Great attitude, best catcher I've ever seen

Bo Jackson- Bo was all guts. That homer he hit against Seattle to clinch the '93 Division title is one of my favorite memories of the White Sox. I still have the Sun-Times headline "The crowning Bo-ment!"

Jack McDowell- for his leadership, great splitter, cool goatee :D: and being only Cy Young Sox pitcher in my lifetime.

PRESENT-

Frank Thomas- The best hitter I've ever seen play and one of my favorite players of all time

Magglio Ordonez- Second best Sox hitter I've ever seen and he has a great attitude to boot

Jose Valentin- How can you not like this guy? All guts. Sammy mocking love taps after a Cub killing homer is my favorite memory of him.

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Jose's degredation of Sammy in the retard's very home will go down as probably one of my most memorable Sox moments of all time. I honestly don't know if I've ever laughed that hard in my entire life either before or after. As soon as he did it my phone rang and my dad who's a giant Sox fan since 1952 just started laughing as soon as I said hello. One of the greatest moments ever of being a Sox fan for either him or me.(Although I have a feeling that something in 1959 may outweigh this for my dad)

Even better than that was the fact that I was watching the game with a Cubs fan. :D:

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Honorable Past Mention must go to Mike Caruso. I know hes been mocked here for his drinking problems and all, BUT
His late inning HomeRun off Aguilera for the SWEEP was the ABSOLUTE BEST. I lost my voice the next day from cheering so Loudly and for so long that day (and standing in the rain for 2 hours, waiting for the moment the game would resume, because I knew the sox would sweep) His HomeRun allowed SoxFans to Rejoice Sweetly all around the wrigleyville neighborhood, with my broom in hand. His HomeRun allowed my picture to be in BOTH newspapers that next day too. For that, and the great memories the whole weekend, I thank Him. THANKS MIKE

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 04:06 PM
It disturbs me that this team has reduced us to talking about this topic on only May 9th.

Thunderstruck30
05-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Past: Black Jack McDowell-one of my favorite Sox moments was at a Sox Indians game last year when he sung the national anthem.

Robin Ventura-the only current Yankees player I like.

Current:Magglio-just a great overall player

Paulie-hope he brings up his average

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2003, 12:43 AM
I thought the idea of this was one player from the past, and one player from the present. Listing everybody you ever liked in a Sox uniform is pretty easy.

Past: Nellie (obviously.) I spent my childhood playing vacant-lot ball with a wad of TootsieRolls in my cheek, choking up on the bat and putting my foot in the bucket.

Present: Big Frank. I still stop whatever I'm doing to watch him when he comes to the plate, and still believe (however misguided) that he's not washed up and will revert to form. I agonize over every at bat in which he's not successful, and that doesn't happen with any other player.

Dan Gelo
05-10-2003, 02:48 AM
past: Chet Lemon, Jerry Dybzinski(I got his autograph at an Orioles game when I lived in MD.), Harold, Kittle, Luzinski.

Present: Maggs, Frank, Rios will be soon

hose
05-10-2003, 09:52 AM
past: Bart Johnson

present: Miguel Olivo