PDA

View Full Version : Looking a little better offensively

Jurr
05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
I think we may be starting to get back around offensively...maybe enough offense to help out our good pitchers...you know, the ones not named John Garland. Yet again, the heart of our order seemed to have good outings, and we were also getting a little production from the bottom of the order. It sucks that the day after I say we should play Graff more, he blows a beautiful opportunity! Oh well! The thing that made me the happiest was:
P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E!!! That is so critical, and the boys are showing more and more of that. You can't break out of a slump if you're giving the other pitcher gift strikes! Drawing walks signifies that you're seeing the ball a little better. Maybe we'll have enough O to steal a couple from Seattle. You definitely can't say today's game was an example of the dejected corpseball we're used to seeing. The boys were fighting...even to the end where C.Lee fought Foulke's pitches off over and over. That means he was really trying to get on base and put the tying run at the plate. None of that, "We're down 3 runs with two outs...who cares?" crap. It's coming around, methinks! By the way...Rick White is pretty pathetic. :angry: ..... But, overall, I think things are going to get a little better in Sox land. The signs are there.

lowesox
05-08-2003, 10:35 PM
My concern is that most of the runs came with the game already out of hand. When we were down by three did you believe we were going to come back? Other teams come back from 3 run deficits all the time. And the Sox are built in such a way, that in order for them to be successful, they need to be able to come back often. I thought they were flat again tonight.

Garland didn't pitch that poorly until the bottom of the 5th, which means the Sox offense had 5 innings to really get going, and in my opinion they didn't.

Jurr
05-09-2003, 07:41 AM
What you've got to look at, though, is what we'd be thinking if the Sox said..."oh..this one's over" and stopped scrapping, making it an 8-2 game with 12 straight outs to end the game. A team that has no heart due to plate struggles crawls up into a hole when they see a deficit like that. A team that is getting it together (or has it together already) tries to fight their way back into that game ---no lead is too big. And...if Tony G. gets a base hit in the 8th, that confidence would've payed off big time. So..my point is that the boys are showing some signs of life definitely. they're being more patient, seeing the ball better, and, most importantly, are starting to believe in themselves a little more. Let's not write them off just yet!!!!!

Kilroy
05-09-2003, 08:36 AM
I agree. When it was 8-2 I thought that they had better get at least 3 or 4 of those runs back, or it just shows that they have quit.

I thought that rally was over when Jiminez came up, but he earned a walk. The best thing was how both he and Daubach didn't get over anxious and swing at ball 4.

Now if we an just get some pitching, we may get some tallys in the left column....

soxnut
05-09-2003, 12:21 PM
I agree I think the offense is starting to come around. After the last two games, I feel the prospects of taking 2 of 3 are much better than before the road trip started. I liked the way they came back in the late innings. Yeah if it were last week the score would have been an 8-2 final. But after the 2nd game in Oakland, I had a feeling during the 3rd game that the score wasn't going to end 8-2, so that's a good thing, right? :?:

WE'RE ON OUR WAY--HEE HEE!! :D:

soxnut
05-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Now if we an just get some pitching, we may get some tallys in the left column.... [/B][/QUOTE]

:hawk
I luv tallys