PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know JR's net worth?

white sox bill
05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm just trying to determine how much he's worth, and trying to justify him being such a tight as@ with his $$. I fully understand the ROI (return on investment), but if this guy were as hungry to bring a World Series to Comiskey as he was to get all the rings as the Bulls owner, shouldn't he forget his P/L statement, consider the Sox a hobby, and go out and get some real talent?

Also, where does Reinsdork rate financailly with the other MLB owners? Is he richer or poorer?

whitesoxwilkes
05-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
I'm just trying to determine how much he's worth, and trying to justify him being such a tight as@ with his $$. I fully understand the ROI (return on investment), but if this guy were as hungry to bring a World Series to Comiskey as he was to get all the rings as the Bulls owner, shouldn't he forget his P/L statement, consider the Sox a hobby, and go out and get some real talent?

Also, where does Reinsdork rate financailly with the other MLB owners? Is he richer or poorer?

At LEAST 50 million.

Dadawg_77
05-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill

The thing is JR only actually owns a very small portion of both the Sox and Bulls. So he is responsible to his partners for certain things. He is the general partner of the partnership which why he has control over the two teams. Each ownership group is separate, I think the owner of the KC Chiefs owns 11% of the Bulls since the beginning.

LuvSox
05-08-2003, 01:14 PM
I don't know his net worth, but I know his worth to me. It doesn't amount to a pile of dog ****.

jortafan
05-08-2003, 01:17 PM
With the corporate ownership that many teams have these days, I wouldn't be surprised if JR's worth is miniscule compared to the ownership of other teams. Does anyone think JR is richer than Tribune Co.?

voodoochile
05-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
With the corporate ownership that many teams have these days, I wouldn't be surprised if JR's worth is miniscule compared to the ownership of other teams. Does anyone think JR is richer than Tribune Co.?

Bill Gates isn't worth more than Tribune Co...

WhiteSoxWinner
05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
The person who knows the definitive answer to this one probably knows where Saddam's WMD's are, too.

ssang
05-08-2003, 01:56 PM
JR's net worth is $ 213,466,311.17. That's an exact number as of 5 pm on 5/8. So he's worth over 213 million!!

34 Inch Stick
05-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Well before the White Sox I believe he owned a major real estate investment company. If I remember correctly the company was sold for more than $100 mil. He was also a founding member of one of the (now) larger law firms in the city Katten Muchin and Zavis (although they started with less than 25 lawyers and he was not there very long).

WhiteSoxWinner
05-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by ssang
JR's net worth is $ 213,466,311.17. That's an exact number as of 5 pm on 5/8. So he's worth over 213 million!!

So OK, where are the WMD's, smart guy? :D:

thecell
05-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ssang

Does that figure compound interest every second?

Dan H
05-09-2003, 09:34 AM
I don't know JR's worth but according to newspapers stories at the time, he and Eddie Einhorn only invested $1 million each when they headed the group to purchase the Sox from Bill Veeck. Even at the team's deflated value, they got a hell of a return on their investment.

I am tired of the Sox crying poor. They had more than once chance to turn this franchise around. They just haven't done it. Terry Bevington, anyone?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I don't know JR's worth but according to newspapers stories at the time, he and Eddie Einhorn only invested $1 million each when they headed the group to purchase the Sox from Bill Veeck. Even at the team's deflated value, they got a hell of a return on their investment.

Consider this. The purchase price in 1981 was $20 million. Thus JR and EE each owned roughly 5 percent of the franchise. Today the franchise is worth something north of $200 million. Assuming they have kept at least their 5 percent share of the club, their $1 million investment is now worth $10 million. Please note this does not include the additional returns they receive for any salary, tax benefits, or other residuals they "earn" for being part owner of a ballclub worth $200 million.

By virtue of playing 81 home games, baseball is a wonderful cash business, a virtual fire hose of cash compared to owning a hockey, basketball, or football team. You don't have to be an accountant to know getting your revenue in cash up front is far better than waiting for non-cash payments after services rendered. You can look like a pauper to the outside world even as you rake it in.

Yes, there are better investments that yield greater returns for a $1 million investment than what Jerry and Eddie have gotten as managing partners of the White Sox. However, when you look at the whole package, they're doing just fine--probably far better than any of us, their paying customers.

Daver
05-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Chicago White Sox MLB Jerry Reinsdorf $223 million

From ESPN.com's sports business section.