PDA

View Full Version : Sox Move?

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 11:34 AM
A recent discussion on ownership has brought up an interesting question. What if the Sox are eventually sold and moved to a city other than Chicago or its' surrounding areas? What would you do?

Become a Brewers fan?
Become a Cardinals fan?
Give up on baseball all together.
Sell your soul to Satan and become a Cubs fan?

Unfortunately if the Sox moved that may be the end of baseball for me. What about you? (sorry I don't know how to post a poll. I'm retarded.)

LuvSox
05-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
(sorry I don't know how to post a poll. I'm retarded.)
You're not alone :D:

I'd still follow them. I'm a long distance D-Backs fan as well as the Miami Dolphins. I've learned how to deal with it.

Jjav829
05-08-2003, 11:45 AM
I'll be honest here. If the Sox moved, and I couldn't watch any Sox game I wanted to, I would still root for them but I would become a Cubs fan. I need a local team to root for.

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen (sorry I don't know how to post a poll. I'm retarded.) [/B]

when you are creating your post, there is a check box or something below the text if you would like to make a poll. then when you hit submit, it will take you to a page where you enter your poll stuff. at least, i think that is it.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-08-2003, 11:48 AM
I'd probably follow the team where ever they went, but my attention span for MLB would decrease. I would read about the team, and amybe make the pilgramage to see them once in a while, but I wouldn't switch to any of the teams mentioned above. I'd move my baseball dollars over to the Kane County Cougars. I love to watch them play even with the Sox in town.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 11:51 AM
I remember going thru this back in 1981. and when i was really young back in 1975. each time I was angry and lost. I wouldve been a Brewers Fan, but Seligs Nonsense, and them inexplicably "Switching" leagues was enought for me to say Never to them. I hate National League Baseball. Its boring, too many bad teams too. But, you know the old biblical saying...
"The Enemy Of My Enemy is My Friend" For that reason, I would just swear off baseball, but Root for the Mighty REDBIRDS with their AWESOME downtown Stadium, with Lofts and Bars and Restaurants in the area. GO CARDINALS, my new team come 2007 !!!!

booter14
05-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Brewers all the way. they'll need all the help they can get, and its a relatively easy car or train ride.

are there really any Cub fans or are they just Wrigley fans? I'd still be a Wrigley Field fan.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I'll be honest here. If the Sox moved, and I couldn't watch any Sox game I wanted to, I would still root for them but I would become a Cubs fan. I need a local team to root for.

Really? No Way Man. but then again, hard to say, if were not at the moment you know? I wonder what it would be like to be a cub fan. man, im getting creeped out.....Id have to shop at Abercrombie, take 2 cell phones to the game, drink bud, id have to lose a lot of my baseball knowledge, Id have to get my Mac down and play the Ladies at the games. Id have to be totally plowed by 6th inning mandatory. man...getting to the game would be easy though.

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 11:57 AM
I think I'd still root for them.

whitesoxwilkes
05-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Id have to be totally plowed by 6th inning mandatory. man...getting to the game would be easy though.

I get plowed by the 6th inning of pretty much any game I go to. :gulp:

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 12:05 PM
ME, of course I would follow the Sox where ever they go......ANY Sox fan out of the Chi-town area, im sure would do the same

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
ME, of course I would follow the Sox where ever they go......ANY Sox fan out of the Chi-town area, im sure would do the same

Not me, I'd root for any Eastern Div. team who was making a run against the yanks.

Mammoo
05-08-2003, 12:15 PM
I would form an organization comprised of local baseball fans to bring another team to Chicago. I think that would be a helluva experience!

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I would form an organization comprised of local baseball fans to bring another team to Chicago. I think that would be a helluva experience!

MAN, thats an excellent Idea. We could Put a ton of money Together and buy the Next Expansion Franchise. The Franchise would be put in the NL, allowing both teams to be in the same league. At the last minute, we could Declare to the COmmissioner that we didnt want to be there, place us in the AL and he would Cave in like a house of cards. WE would "offer" to move to the other League, in the "best interests" of baseball and evenness in League Assignments. WE could then move into the new Retractable Dome, Old-Fashioned Stadium that we wouldve Secured by the City. One of us could then make a play and become the new commissioner, and we could then, even though we arent really the White Sox, but now the newly renamed CHeetahs baseball team.....we'd still borrow all of the White SOx history (even though theyre now in Portland) and We'd Try to Pretend that we are the White SOX. This could work too.....

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 12:28 PM
WE Could put up a bunch of Statues of All the Hall of Fame Players Like Nellie Fox and the like (and pretend they were Old Cheetahs Players) we'd talk about all the old Cheetah history back in the old comiskey (even though were not really the sox)
Daver, I think we'd push you to be Part Owner/Commissioner
Id make myself the Minister of Marketing

soxnut
05-08-2003, 12:35 PM
STOP THIS TRHEAD!! YOU ARE ALL MAKING ME SICK.

I've always liked the Brewers, but realistically I doubt they'll ever get anywhere. so I'd root for the Cardinals, at least they always have a shot.

But seriously cut the cord on this thread.....please.

If they ever leave it's your fault as well

white sox bill
05-08-2003, 12:38 PM
by default. The mere thought of me giving up my masculinity and rooting for the North Side Lowlife's is appauling as joining Al Qaueda or Iraq's Republican Guard...
Bill

Daver
05-08-2003, 12:38 PM

Daver, I think we'd push you to be Part Owner/Commissioner
Id make myself the Minister of Marketing

I know nothing about baseball.

Jjav829
05-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

Perfect! Neither does Bud so you would make a fine commissioner! :smile:

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

All the More Reason! You by chance dont know anything
about Used Cars do you?

DrCrawdad
05-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Sox move and I become a Cardinals fan.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sox move and I become a Cardinals fan.

are you sure? even if some of us buy the new expansion team
and call them the Cheetahs?
Cheetahs Baseball.....Good Guys Wear Spots

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Not me, I'd root for any Eastern Div. team who was making a run against the yanks.

I already do that!!!! :) .......I just hate those dam Yankmees so much :angry: BE GOOD

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Say, I notice I just Joined the 1,000 Posts Club......

voodoochile
05-08-2003, 12:58 PM
I would never spend more than $100 (total) on MLB products for the rest of my life.

Go Joliet Jackhammers!

Go Dayton Dragons!

Die Bud and Jerry Die!

cheeses_h_rice
05-08-2003, 01:04 PM
I would follow the Sox wherever they went, but I would have to have a nearby team to root for, and I think it'd be the Brew Crew. I heart Wisconsin.

But as for being a Flubs fan, while there's still blood pumping through my veins, NEVER!

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 01:10 PM
I would become a Brewers fan. If I moved from this area I would pick up a team wherever I went. I need a locl team with lots of coverage in the papers and tv and all the games on tv. I would follow the sox and watch them if they were on national tv, but I couldn't stay as true if they moved. It'd be like meeting an old girlfriend again. "Hey you looks great" "yeah, you too"

WhiteSoxWinner
05-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
If they ever leave it's your fault as well

Kenny? JR? Is that you?

xil357
05-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I would be crushed if the Sox moved. The team would not be the same in any other city. I still would root for their success in another city, but it wouldn't be the same. It would increase my rooting interest in the St. Louis Cardinals, though.

I still think that Chicago is a two-team city and that with some inspired ownership initiatives, the team could generate more fan interest, better attendance and put a consistent winning ballclub on the the field.

dickallen15
05-08-2003, 01:49 PM
I think MLB has just about run out of cities to expand to, plus the Sox just extended their lease at the Cell, so if they are sold or not they won't be moving out of town, for a long while at least

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I would never spend more than $100 (total) on MLB products for the rest of my life.

On the up side, if they move all that sox memorabilia= early retirement when sold.

TommyJohn
05-08-2003, 02:22 PM
I went through the old angst in 1988, while the Sox'
future in Chicago was up in the air. I decided to be-
come a Cleveland Indians fan in the event of a Sox
move. I could not stomach the thought of rooting for
the Cubs, the Brewers didn't move me, either.
St. Louis is an NL team, and I wanted to stay in the AL,
so I settled on Cleveland, I guess because they have
a history somewhat like the Sox.

If it happened today, I would follow the Sox and root for them
wherever they moved. I was in California for three years and
kept track of them (with a secondary rooting interest in the
Angels) so I could do it again.

This doesn't mean that them moving wouldn't hurt like Hell. Imagine
the media coverage of the event. That alone would make me pull a
Howard Hughes and shut myself off from the world until it all blew
over. OK, maybe not. But it would hurt.

FarmerAndy
05-08-2003, 03:06 PM
I know most people wouldn't have this luxury, but I would seriously consider moving with the team.

Right now I'm still fairly young (27). I don't don't want to work behind this computer for the rest of my life, so I started going to school at night last fall. I plan to become a teacher, which I could do anywhere.

I'd hate to leave Chicago, but if the Sox went......

1951Campbell
05-08-2003, 03:32 PM
I guess my secondary rooting interest in the Red Sox would move up to a primary rooting interest.

Didn't the Sox sign a lease extension? I'm not too worried right now.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I know most people wouldn't have this luxury, but I would seriously consider moving with the team.

Right now I'm still fairly young (27). I don't don't want to work behind this computer for the rest of my life, so I started going to school at night last fall. I plan to become a teacher, which I could do anywhere.

I'd hate to leave Chicago, but if the Sox went......

thats pretty hardcore man. Fans like this make me continue to root for the Sox, despite the trials and tribulations.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 04:07 PM
You know what....I just thought of Something. MAYBE WE DO want the SOX and more importantly, Jerry Reinsdorf to Flee town.
Bulldoze the Stadium, spread salt over the land and forget about them. WE allow this, only under the proviso that THE WHITE SOX NAME STAYS HERE. Let these "Sox" go and, when Expansion comes around, we get a BETTER STADIUM, A BETTER OWNER, and......a WE get NEW WHITE SOX. Chance to Start Over. Think about this. A clean slate would be the Removal of the evil Tyrant Jerry Reinsdorf. The White Sox fans are the ones who now need LIBERATION. Wheres the coalition MLB army to save us?

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 04:14 PM
You know what....I just thought of Something. MAYBE WE DO want the SOX and more importantly, Jerry Reinsdorf to Flee town.

I had thought about that. Kinda like when the Browns left Cleveland. The only problem is, would we be able to get Maggs, Pauly, Crede, and all of my other favorites back when JR leaves? I don't know if it would be the same without my favorite players. Sure after a few years it would be allright, but I don't know if I could do it until I had built up a relationship with the new guys. I know, real touching stuff :whiner: .

I know my wife wouldn't be able to make without a regular sighting of Pauly's backside. :)

WhiteSoxWinner
05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Bulldoze the Stadium, spread salt over the land and forget about them. WE allow this, only under the proviso that THE WHITE SOX NAME STAYS HERE. Let these "Sox" go and, when Expansion comes around, we get a BETTER STADIUM, A BETTER OWNER, and......a WE get NEW WHITE SOX. Chance to Start Over. Think about this. A clean slate would be the Removal of the evil Tyrant Jerry Reinsdorf. The White Sox fans are the ones who now need LIBERATION. Wheres the coalition MLB army to save us?

Do we really want an expansion franchise here? Unless it is owned by guys like Wayne "Blockbuster" Huizenga who goes all out once or Jerry Colangelo who I can never figure out how he finances that team, most of those teams struggle. I would not want the northern version of Tampa to reside on the Southside.

Hullett_Fan
05-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Heck, they don't have to move...I'm about ready to give up on them now!!! :angry: I thought this team had the best chance out of any in the 20 years I've followed the Sox...but it's becoming a major disappointment.

I'd have to root for a midwestern team that I could see a few games in person. Probably the Cards because they're always in contention and their ownership seems to care about the fans...and winning games.

:reinsy

"The fans...winning games??? Like I could give a rat's behind about either!!!"

idseer
05-08-2003, 05:00 PM
for us older fans ... or maybe it's just me, i'd lose interest in the game (more than i already have). i wouldn't follow them because the whole idea in the first place was the locality of the team. i sure wouldn't arbitrarily choose another team because i'd have no history invested with them.
in fact it might even be a welcome change not being disappointed year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after ................................ well, you get the idea.

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Perhaps I'll latch onto the next expansion team that comes along. That'll be a completely fresh start and I won't feel bad for missing out on so much history. I'd be an expert on the team. I don't care where, but it would be cool.

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Perhaps I'll latch onto the next expansion team that comes along. That'll be a completely fresh start and I won't feel bad for missing out on so much history. I'd be an expert on the team. I don't care where, but it would be cool.

WOW, I am certainly surprised with some of these responses by "Sox Fans" BE GOOD

sox_fan_forever
05-08-2003, 05:40 PM
I think I'd probably still follow them. I used to be a Braves fan, and I have never lived in Atlanta, so following an out of state team is not totally impossible. It definitely wouldn't still be the same, but unless I got totally excited about some other team the Sox would probably still be number one on my list.

As for rooting for the Cubs...not over my dead body!

DaveGusinSeattle
05-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Easy answer, since I've lived in Sea-town for 9 years now and outside Chicago for 14 years Total, either ignore baseball :canseco or

GO MARINERS :bundy

T Dog
05-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Who I would root for would depend on who was playing the Cubs.

I've been a secondary Padres fan and even went to a World Series game in San Diego. I lost interest in the team after management moved its spring training base. When Arizona got a team, I cheered for them, except in the exhibition game they played against the White Sox. I had season tickets for the last Brewers season at Milwaukee County Stadium. But the magic has never been there for me with the Diamondbacks or Brewers.

If you're not much of a baseball fan, you could go to any major league city and go to games and cheer for the home team. You could move to Chicago and decide to be a Cubs fan because it's fashionable. But being a real baseball fan isn't about fashion or convenience. It's not even about backing a winner. It's about a relationship with a team you bonded with when you were young.

baggio202
05-08-2003, 06:34 PM
i couldnt root for the sox if they were to move...it be telling the owners i was okay with it...ive always liked the red sox..but i just couldnt see myself jumpinmg on their badwagon..it just wouldnt feel right

i lived on the gulf coast of florida for awhile..id probably go with the drays...no one could accuse me of bandwagon jumping then :)

Foulke You
05-08-2003, 06:44 PM
After weeping and sobbing :whiner: for 3 months straight after the White Sox left town...I'd probably gather my wits and start pulling for the Boston Red Sox. I love the city of Boston, Fenway Park is great, and they are a team almost as cursed as the White Sox. I'm also an AL guy and like Hangar, I get bored with NL ball and couldn't find myself latching on to an NL club. I would NEVER root for the Cubs. My hatred for them is all consuming. :angry:

However, this thread is pretty pointless. The ChiSox aren't going anywhere. They've been here for 102 years and I don't see them leaving anytime soon.

lowesox
05-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Easy for me: I don't live in Chicago, so they'd probably only be moving closer.

idseer
05-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Easy for me: I don't live in Chicago, so they'd probably only be moving closer.

good point. if they happen to move to state college, pa. i will indeed follow them. :D:

Irishsoxfan
05-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Forgive me but where I come from, teams never move. I grew up with soccer and I'm pretty sure it's the team you bond with that you support forever. There is no way I could switch my support to team a.n.other just because my team moved, it would never feel right. Wherever the name White Sox & current players go, I go.Simple as that. (I admit that's easy for me to say as I'm thousans of miles from Chicago). Just think, for most people there are no players playing for the Sox now that were playing when you grew up, it's the small changes only each year that enables you to continue the bond. For me anyway calling them the Portland White Sox for instance is just a small change I can live with.

Tragg
05-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Oh, I'd probably root for the Astros or the Devil Rays; maybe the Cubs - I liked them before the internet age (yall taught me to hate the cubs) and before the Chimp Carey era.
But none of those teams will be in my heart - in sports that's reserved for the Chicago White Sox and the Green Wave.

UnderpantsGnome
05-13-2003, 11:52 AM
For that reason, I would just swear off baseball, but Root for the Mighty REDBIRDS with their AWESOME downtown Stadium, with Lofts and Bars and Restaurants in the area. GO CARDINALS, my new team come 2007 !!!!

:burly:
"Sounds good to me. Where do I sign?"

Dick Allen
05-17-2003, 09:55 PM
The way this team is going, they could move to Mars for all I care. 43 years of this crap is enough. Of course Chicago would be left without Major League baseball, but there's always the Schaumburg Flyers.

39thandWallace
05-18-2003, 10:41 AM
I would have to be either a Braves fan or Cub's fan. I couldn't root for a team that I couldn't watch on TV every game.

Daver
05-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I would have to be either a Braves fan or Cub's fan. I couldn't root for a team that I couldn't watch on TV every game.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck