PDA

View Full Version : Rios And Graff!

Jurr
05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Why aren't these guys getting legitimate shots at the everyday lineup??? They have been producing when they get the chance, and guys that don't get as much playing time seem to relish an opportunity to perform! Plus, from the mechanics side of things...Graffanino has been dialed in pretty well, and he's showing some good patience at the plate. Put Willie Harris on the bench, let Rios start, and get more ABs for Graffanino. If D'Angelo isn't going to produce like a leadoff guy should, let Tony get a shot. He may be stepping up to be more than a platoon guy.
Just a thought!

gosox41
05-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
Why aren't these guys getting legitimate shots at the everyday lineup??? They have been producing when they get the chance, and guys that don't get as much playing time seem to relish an opportunity to perform! Plus, from the mechanics side of things...Graffanino has been dialed in pretty well, and he's showing some good patience at the plate. Put Willie Harris on the bench, let Rios start, and get more ABs for Graffanino. If D'Angelo isn't going to produce like a leadoff guy should, let Tony get a shot. He may be stepping up to be more than a platoon guy.
Just a thought!

Graffanino has proven that he is not an everyday player. He is definitely a situational player who is usually put into situations that maximize his talent. I think his numbers would fall off as an everday player.

I'd like to see Rios out there everyday, especially considering how little offense the Sox are getting from CF.

Bob

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Graffanino has proven that he is not an everyday player. He is definitely a situational player who is usually put into situations that maximize his talent. I think his numbers would fall off as an everday player.

I'd like to see Rios out there everyday, especially considering how little offense the Sox are getting from CF.

Bob

Well Said. Graff is the super bench player, I like him a lot.

thecell
05-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Graff is probably one of the top utility men in the AL.

maurice
05-08-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm surprised how many people seem to think that D'Ang isn't producing offensively. His .308 AVE, .403 OBP, and .542 SLG are really quite good and better than probably anyone expected.

Graff will get plenty of ABs if he just backs up D'Ang and Crede, and platoons with Jose (.148 AVE v. LHPs this season; 8 errors in 29 starts).

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 01:07 PM
IN my opinion, untill Borchard is ready (which I think he is) Rios should start at CF daily.......BE GOOD

Iwritecode
05-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Exactly. I think right now Tony is on a hot streak and JM is riding it as long as he can. I read in the Sun Times that he will probably be starting at short today.

As far as Willie Harris in CF over Rios, I'm not sure what's going on. Neither one are spectacular on defense but Willie has a little more speed. The only problem is that he has to get on base to utilize it...

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

As far as Willie Harris in CF over Rios, I'm not sure what's going on. Neither one are spectacular on defense but Willie has a little more speed. The only problem is that he has to get on base to utilize it...

The old saying really fits Harris, "You can't steal 1st base".

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Start Rios in CF. Bench Harris and his .05whatever average and then demote him when Borchard is ready. Graffy has shown he's not an everyday player, but he's a great utility guy and when used right he's awesome. I wouldn't mind riding his hot streaks for a few games, but he shouldn't play everyday.

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The old saying really fits Harris, "You can't steal 1st base".

MY team-mate did :) . BE GOOD

RKMeibalane
05-08-2003, 02:20 PM
I agree that Rios should be the starter in centerfield. I'm not sure why Manuel is reluctant to use him on a more fequent basis. The White Sox are not out of the woods as far as their offensive struggles are concerned. At this point, they are just as likely to score one run as they are to score nine runs. The addition of Rios would provide a more stable bat near the bottom of the order.

Manuel would probably aruge that Willie Harris needs to be in the lineup because he is a base-stealing threat. However, as someone else pointed out, it is not possible to steal first base. Harris is incapable of hitting the ball out of the infield. I have already grown tired his ineffectiveness. He's an automatic out.

If the White Sox want to catch Kansas City and Minnesota, their offense must become more consistent. This requires that everyone contributes on a nightly basis. Harris has not contributed anything, so he should not play. Rios has been productive so far, so he deserves to play everyday. Why Manuel can't see this is beyond me.

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 06:24 PM
exactly and Rios hasn't been used in the last 6-10 games that I can remember. I know we've been up against a lot of lefties, but still let him play.

Jjav829
05-08-2003, 06:28 PM
This is odd. Manuel pinch hits Daubach for Harris, and rather than send Rios out to play center, he sends Daubach out to right and shifts Maggs over to center. What is wrong with Rios that we don't know about? Why isn't he playing?

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
This is odd. Manuel pinch hits Daubach for Harris, and rather than send Rios out to play center, he sends Daubach out to right and shifts Maggs over to center. What is wrong with Rios that we don't know about? Why isn't he playing?

Didn't think of Rios at the time, but you make a good point. I have never seen Maggs in CF, why not put Rios in for Daubach? Much better defensively. I read in the Trib earlier this week that Rios was confused and ticked about not playing. So are we. Could he be on someone's bad side all ready?

duke of dorwood
05-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Willie Harris vs. Singleton. Which one looked better in the series?
"Send that thing back to Baltimore"-Sen Ruth Martin (Silence of the Lambs)

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Neither looked spectactular, but I would rather have a real CF playing there than a second baseman.

soxgal40
05-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I agree 100% about Graff. He deserves to get everyday playing time, maybe we could bench thomas and have Graffanino as a DH. He is about the only guy right now that is showing good offense by getting on base. Give him a chance to score some runs. About Rios...well, i don't know much about the guy, but i think we should bring up Borchard and send down Harris. Harris is not being very productive right now.

TheBigHurt
05-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by soxgal40
maybe we could bench thomas and have Graffanino as a DH
YEAH that sound like a great idea!!!!....ESCPECCIALLY since Frank is startin to hit