PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers on Carl Everett

xil357
05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
As a life-long White Sox fan who has lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for four years, I am intrigued by Phil Rogers' proposal to acquire Carl Everett from the Rangers. He is tearing it up down here and his switch-hitting capabilities definitely could benefit the Sox.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030507rogerscolumn,1,4429241.column?coll=cs%2Dwhit esox%2Dheadlines

I also agree with Phil's assessment that the Sox need to do something to bring more left-handed hitting, and I cannot wait for Joe Borchard to start patrolling the outfield. Overall, our outfield is below average defensively and right now is not producing offensively. I trust Phil's assessment when it comes to whether or not someone is ready to make the jump to the majors.

I also trust his judgement when he says the Sox need to find a way to get Aaron Miles into the lineup. Could he (or Jiminez) play shortstop?

However, in the interest of playing devil's advocate, I do have a few concerns with Phil's trade proposal:

1. With clubhouse chemistry already a concern with the Sox, do we want to add a questionable character like Carl Evertett to the mix? To what extent is chemistry either underrated or overrated? (I would love to see Phil's response to this question because I know he would answer it honestly, from experience, and without hyperbole -- unlike hyperbolic columnists and radio and TV talking heads. I really would like to know.)

2. Are we ready to part with Jon Garland? Do we have enough starting pitching either already on the roster or waiting in the wings at Charlotte or Birmingham? Is Josh Stewart, Jon Rauch, Kris Honel, etc. ready to step into the fire, and is Danny Wright ready to replicate the number of good innings he threw last season (adjusted for the time he already has missed)? Do we believe that Esteban Loaiza will continue his tear throughout the season? My point is, having watched the Rangers fool around with a horrible pitching staff the past few years, I don't want to see the Sox stuck in a situation with no pitching whatsoever. I agree that Garland has been a disappointment for three seasons now, but are his problems physical, mechanical or mental, and do we -- and more importantly do the Sox -- believe that they can tap his potential?

3. Are we ready to trade for someone who, while he is tearing it up right now, is in the final year of his contract? Say we make the trade, and it works out well this season -- would the Sox be able to re-sign him and could he be expected to produce quality numbers and play good defense for the duration of this hypothetical contract? Would a Carl Everett signed to a two or three year contract help the Sox over that time?

4. To what extent would replacing Carlos Lee with Everett in left field be an upgrade to our defense? I know that Lee is not exactly fleet of foot, but how much of an upgrade would Everett be? In a similar vein, to what extent would this proposed trade increase our speed on the basepaths? Likewise, how much would this reduce our propensity for hitting into double plays?

5. On what basis would such a trade -- Garland (and Lee?) for Everett -- be considered a success this season? Winning the division? Winning a first round series and getting to the ALCS? Getting to the Series? Winning the Series? Are we confident that the rest of the team, minus Garland (and Lee?) and plus Everett, gets us to a level we otherwise could not reach right now?

6. Lastly, would the Rangers make this kind of trade? If I were the GM of the Rangers, I would seriously consider making this trade because of the long-term potential of Jon Garland, because I would not re-sign Carl Everett for next season, and it would be an opportunity to get something for nothing. If I could get Garland and Lee for Everett, I would make the trade in a heartbeat, then turn around and trade Lee and someone else for more pitching. That is what scares me about this possible trade. Thankfully, John Hart is the Rangers GM and he over-values offensive power at the expense of defense and situational hitting.

If I were to suggest a trade, I would attempt to acquire a left-handed left or center fielder who could play great defense, work the pitcher and hit for average. Power would be a plus. I would be willing to give up Thomas, Lee or even Konerko for such a player. If it was Thomas or Lee, I would also include a minor league pitcher if that's what it took, as long as I knew that this particular pitcher was not going to be a star.

Thank you for reading this.

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 09:36 AM
I think Garland and Lee would be paying way too much for Everett. Other than Everett's ability to switch hit, Lee and Everett themselves would be a wash. Throwing in Garland would be grossly overpaying. I definetly wouldn't do the deal.

Besides, Everett is a nut job. I'd hate to see what he'd do to the clubhouse. We thought Royce Clayton was bad.

CHISOXFAN13
05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Lee sucks. How do you consider that an even trade?

jortafan
05-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Everett as a White Sox?

I shudder to think, even though our team in recent years has employed such temperamental ding-dongs as Wil Cordero and Albert Belle (although I think Belle's signing worked out, particularly in 1998).

I can't help but think that Everett would bring too much negative attention that would further muck up the team. I can't see him turning into the next Dick Allen (so-called head case who had the best year of his career with the Sox).

Let Everett stay in Texas. Or let him go to the Cubbies. See how well he and Sammy get along.

gosox41
05-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Everett as a White Sox?

I shudder to think, even though our team in recent years has employed such temperamental ding-dongs as Wil Cordero and Albert Belle (although I think Belle's signing worked out, particularly in 1998).

I can't help but think that Everett would bring too much negative attention that would further muck up the team. I can't see him turning into the next Dick Allen (so-called head case who had the best year of his career with the Sox).

Let Everett stay in Texas. Or let him go to the Cubbies. See how well he and Sammy get along.

Wasn't Everett the guy who allegedly abused his own kids when he was with the Mets?

Bob

Jjav829
05-08-2003, 10:54 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday before I saw Rogers' column. Hes certainly something the Sox could use from a talent standpoint. However, I don't know if I would want to trust him in the clubhouse.

I would rather see KW make another run at Giles. He would fit this team perfectly. It's probably too much to expect though. I wonder how close KW really was to acquiring Giles and what we would be giving up. I'm sure they would probably ask for Borchard.

maurice
05-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Actually, even a straight up trade would be bad for the Sox. Everett has been a slightly better hitter than CLee over his career:

Everett - .278 AVE / .349 OBP / .481 SLG
CLee - .279 / .332 / .473

However, Everett is about five years older than CLee and a total headcase, which causes his play to be extremely inconsistent. Everett is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get (i.e., a .720 OPS or a .960 OPS).

I have no problem with trading CLee and Garland, though their value must be at an all-time low right now. But this proposed trade screams "Ritchie deal, Part II."

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Lee sucks. How do you consider that an even trade?

As Maurice noted the stats are similar, even though most of Everett's stats have come in two or three big years. How was he last year by the way?

I figure they're even because while Everett may have an advantage in numbers (I don't see it as that great), Lee is
1. Younger
2. Not a nut case
3. Has a great future ahead
4. Is more likely to stay in Chicago than Everett after this year (I don't know Carlos' contract situation, but Everett is a FA after this year)
5. As good a fielder as Everett (there I said it. Attack me if you want)

I just don't see this a good deal.

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I would rather see KW make another run at Giles. He would fit this team perfectly. It's probably too much to expect though. I wonder how close KW really was to acquiring Giles and what we would be giving up. I'm sure they would probably ask for Borchard.

If I remember correctly, Giles has the sox as one of his "no trade to teams" in his contract.

voodoochile
05-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Actually, even a straight up trade would be bad for the Sox. Everett has been a slightly better hitter than CLee over his career:

Everett - .278 AVE / .349 OBP / .481 SLG
CLee - .279 / .332 / .473

However, Everett is about five years older than CLee and a total headcase, which causes his play to be extremely inconsistent. Everett is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get (i.e., a .720 OPS or a .960 OPS).

I have no problem with trading CLee and Garland, though their value must be at an all-time low right now. But this proposed trade screams "Ritchie deal, Part II."

I could not have said that better. However, I don't want to see Garland and/or Lee traded until they PROVE they have no more upside.

LuvSox
05-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Didn't he say something like "Dinosaurs never existed because they aren't in the bible."? It might be fun to heckle a guy like that in our OF. :D:

lowesox
05-08-2003, 09:46 PM
I like to think the guys we root for aren't a$$holes, and I'm pretty sure Everett is. Even if we had him for free, I think I'd pass.

WinningUgly!
05-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I like to think the guys we root for aren't a$$holes, and I'm pretty sure Everett is. Even if we had him for free, I think I'd pass.

I'm tired of rooting for nice guys that lose.

AngelLeroy
05-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Everett doesn't impress me. His stats from '97-'02 aren't consistent enough, plus he's hurt a lot. His fielding is adequate, nothing more.
Actually, in many ways he reminds me of an older Carlos Lee. I think any trade by the Sox for him would be stupid.

ozzman
05-09-2003, 07:17 AM
If I remember correctly, Giles has the sox as one of his "no trade to teams" in his contract.

IIRC Giles has teams on the west coast that he WILL play for, I dont think he has teams that he will not play for in his contract. Just that he wants to go to the west coast

hold2dibber
05-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
However, I don't want to see Garland and/or Lee traded until they PROVE they have no more upside.

In other words, when they have absolutely NO trade value whatsoever.

Bobby Thigpen
05-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Now, on the other hand if it was Garland for Everett straight up I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. I've finally had enough of Jonny boy.

MHOUSE
05-09-2003, 09:14 AM
I'd take my chances on an Everett for Garland straight up. I think a lot of people, myself including, are getting tired of Jon's outings and I think Everett's switch hitting power could help us. The question is would Texas do this? If they want to win NOW I don't know if Garland is the answer yet.

Lee AND Garland would be an overpayment because both are young players with huge upsides even though Lee is somewhat coming to meet his potential and Garland is falling way below.

In would go after Everett if I thought he could get us past the first round of playoffs or could contribute (more than Lee) for the next three years of a big contract if we resign him. I DON'T want to give up Garland and/or Lee for some good stats and then have him walk. That would be a waste.

1951Campbell
05-09-2003, 10:56 AM
I lived in Boston in 2000 and 2001, and got to see part of the Carl Everett era. He had one good HALF season before he descended into nuttiness and injury. He and Jimy Williams fought like cats and dogs, tried to get in a fistfight with Darren Lewis, missed buses, and threw a memorable nutty (which I saw in person at Fenway) where he spent 10 minutes arguing and throwing stuff out of the dugout because the ump told him to stay in the batter's box. To top it off, he ingratiated himself with the media by telling one Globe reporter he did not like to go **** another Globe repoter he did not like, which was caught on tape and replayed quite a bit.

This guy is a headcase. Lee's got the same numbers and is not a candidate for a padded room. Let this trade thing go.

mandmandm
05-09-2003, 11:08 AM
1951Campbell:

Will you let my wife in? Born and raised in Milwaukee, Packer fan. But it was not until she met me that I showed her the light and she became a Sox fan.

Paulwny
05-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ozzman
IIRC Giles has teams on the west coast that he WILL play for, I dont think he has teams that he will not play for in his contract. Just that he wants to go to the west coast

This article says "no trade clause", but he would have to approve any other trade.

From Pittsburgh Live:
"Which, once again, leaves outfielder Brian Giles as the most affordable piece of trade bait in the Pirates arsenal. Last winter, the Oakland Athletics, Seattle Mariners and White Sox reportedly headed into the meetings trying to acquire Giles. But Giles, who is signed for three more seasons, has a six-team limited no-trade clause in his contract, and none of those American League teams made the cut. "

The teams on Giles' list are the San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks and Atlanta Braves.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/pirateslive/s_107306.html

1951Campbell
05-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Will you let my wife in? Born and raised in Milwaukee, Packer fan. But it was not until she met me that I showed her the light and she became a Sox fan.

Close, so close. I'll have to think about it.

Then again, if WMAQ's signal didn't make it up to Milwaukee when I was a kid, thus letting my dad and I listen to games, I might be (shudder) a Brewers fan.

There but for the grace of God go I.