PDA

View Full Version : Lilly and Halama are lefties

Dadawg_77
05-08-2003, 08:42 AM
If the trend holds for tonight the Sox should be successful tonight. Just hopefully the Sox will ride that wave and smack around some righties instead of being shut down by them.

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Lily isn't that good and we beat Halama last time so things look promising. If you can avoid the Big 3, then Oakland is more beatable because of their suspect defense and their hitting isn't any better than ours overall.

Jurr
05-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Well, you figure there aren't too many teams that take great cuts at Zito, Mulder, and Hudson, unless they play a lot of small ball and can manufacture runs. Or....you find a day when Zito's hammer isn't getting over and kill him. But....if you get those other two...then you can win a couple. Winning this series would be HUGE. The Sox need to get a taste of a series win again. It hasn't been that damn long ago, but still..this slump has been all about confidence...at the plate, on the mound, etc. One bad thing happens, and they're moping. When they get back to basics, they will feel like a 3 run deficit or so isn't that bad. Right now, something like that has been doomsday for this bunch. Maybe a win for the series will help the guys get it together.

jeremyb1
05-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If the trend holds for tonight the Sox should be successful tonight. Just hopefully the Sox will ride that wave and smack around some righties instead of being shut down by them.

the reason i don't worry about us hitting righties is historically our best hitters have fared well against right handed pitching. frank had a .918 ops (vs. 1.044 against lefties) from 00-02. maggs has been .914 (vs. 1.030 vs. lefties) over that same period. paully and carlos have both actually hit significantly better against righties than they have against lefites. i believe its valuable to have guys that can hit right handed pitchers but our guys' splits over the last few years suggest we do have those players. i don't understand the point of having lefthanded hitters just for the sake of having left handed hitters.