baggio202
05-08-2003, 02:27 AM
tony graffinino
aaron miles
d'angelo jimenez
willie harris

bc2k
05-08-2003, 02:39 AM
My first thought was why do we have a semi-glut of talent in one position. Then I thought of moving someone and thought of an idea. On a team of power hitters, why not have a DH as a high OBP speed guy? I guess because we don't even have that type of player for any position, let alone one expendable for DH duties.

Now that I'm thinking, a LEFT-handed, high OBP, speed threat would be perfect. Too bad there isn't a feature of creating your own players like on video games... or managerial control.

kermittheefrog
05-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Why would anyone vote against Jimenez? He's got the most playing time there, he's the youngest and he has been the team's best hitter this season. He was also stellar with the Sox last season. I know Graffanino is good and I've always been a fan of his but there's simply nothing not to like about Jimenez since he's arrived.

idseer
05-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Why would anyone vote against Jimenez? He's got the most playing time there, he's the youngest and he has been the team's best hitter this season. He was also stellar with the Sox last season. I know Graffanino is good and I've always been a fan of his but there's simply nothing not to like about Jimenez since he's arrived.

i voted for DJ too, but the answer to your question MAY be they'd rather see graff at second and DJ at short.

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i voted for DJ too, but the answer to your question MAY be they'd rather see graff at second and DJ at short.

AS much as I like Wee Willie, I like that idea :) BE GOOD

doublem23
05-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

At least no one's voted for Aaron Miles... yet.

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Gotta be DJ. He's had the playing time and experience there. Everyone says he's not a shortstop and we need Jose in there anyways. I'd like to see a middle infield of Jimenez/Harris someday with them also batting 1-2 in the order, but Harris is so bad against MLB pitching.

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
At least no one's voted for Aaron Miles... yet.

YA, someone voted for Wee Willie, I wonder who?? BE GOOD

MHOUSE
05-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Harris is a joke. His .059 average is as bad as Daubach and even worse than Rowand. His defense has been good and it's nice to have some speed and excitement on the team, but his stats take a HUGE drop at the MLB level no matter how good his AAA stats were. .400-.050? Not good!

CHISOXFAN13
05-08-2003, 11:11 AM
DJ is the man in this slot, although I'd love for Graffanino to find his way into the lineup at least 4-5 times a week. Doesn't have to be second base all the time, but he is a big spark.

ChiSoxBobette
05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
tony graffinino
aaron miles
d'angelo jimenez
willie harris
I THINK WHAT YOUR POLL IS TRYING TO GET SOX FANS TO VOTE ON IS WWHETHER D'J OR AARON MILES SHOULD BE THE 2ND BASEMAN .GRAFFY IS WAY TO VALUABLE COMING OFF THE BENCH, AND WILLIE HARRIS IS THE CENTERFIELDER PLAIN AND SIMPLE UNTIL BORCHARD IS READY TO COME UP.
D'J IS FINE EVERYONE OF YOU AARON MILES LOVERS HAS IT IN FOR D'J BECAUSE YOU ALL THINK HE WAS SCREWED IN SPRING TRAINING COME ON. D'J IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST LEADOFF GUYS WE'VE HAD IN A WHILE. ALL I HEAR IS THE SAME CRAP LIKE THE OTHER DAY YOU'RE ALL CRYING BECAUSE HE LAYED THERE WHEN HE DOVE FOR A BALL - BIG DEAL ITS NOT LIKE HE LAYED THERE AND THE GUY RAN PAST HIM AND WAS SAFE AT 2ND BASE. YEAH HE DROPPED A POPUP THE OTHER NIGHT AND 3 RUNS SCORED OH WELL THAT HAPPENS TO THE BEST PLAYERS THE RED SOX SS MADE HOW MANY ERRORS THE OTHER NIGHT ONE OF WHICH COST THEM THE GAME. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT SOME OF YOU SUPPOSED WHITE SOX FANS WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE BEST PLAYERS OUT THERE ONLY PLAYERS WE LIKE - AARON MILES HAS'NT DONE ANYTHING IN THE MAJORS AND IF D'J KEEPS PLAYING GOOD BASEBALL & KEEPS HITTING THE WAY HE HAS THEN YOUR BUDDY AARON BETTER LEARN A NEW POSITION OR HOPE VALENTIN GETS TRADED AND THEY PUT D'J AT HIS NATURAL POSITION SS
:whiner: - AARON MILES FAN CLUB MEMBER

GO WHITE SOX

baggio202
05-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I THINK WHAT YOUR POLL IS TRYING TO GET SOX FANS TO VOTE ON IS WWHETHER D'J OR AARON MILES SHOULD BE THE 2ND BASEMAN .GRAFFY IS WAY TO VALUABLE COMING OFF THE BENCH, AND WILLIE HARRIS IS THE CENTERFIELDER PLAIN AND SIMPLE UNTIL BORCHARD IS READY TO COME UP.
D'J IS FINE EVERYONE OF YOU AARON MILES LOVERS HAS IT IN FOR D'J BECAUSE YOU ALL THINK HE WAS SCREWED IN SPRING TRAINING COME ON. D'J IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST LEADOFF GUYS WE'VE HAD IN A WHILE. ALL I HEAR IS THE SAME CRAP LIKE THE OTHER DAY YOU'RE ALL CRYING BECAUSE HE LAYED THERE WHEN HE DOVE FOR A BALL - BIG DEAL ITS NOT LIKE HE LAYED THERE AND THE GUY RAN PAST HIM AND WAS SAFE AT 2ND BASE. YEAH HE DROPPED A POPUP THE OTHER NIGHT AND 3 RUNS SCORED OH WELL THAT HAPPENS TO THE BEST PLAYERS THE RED SOX SS MADE HOW MANY ERRORS THE OTHER NIGHT ONE OF WHICH COST THEM THE GAME. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT SOME OF YOU SUPPOSED WHITE SOX FANS WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE BEST PLAYERS OUT THERE ONLY PLAYERS WE LIKE - AARON MILES HAS'NT DONE ANYTHING IN THE MAJORS AND IF D'J KEEPS PLAYING GOOD BASEBALL & KEEPS HITTING THE WAY HE HAS THEN YOUR BUDDY AARON BETTER LEARN A NEW POSITION OR HOPE VALENTIN GETS TRADED AND THEY PUT D'J AT HIS NATURAL POSITION SS
:whiner: - AARON MILES FAN CLUB MEMBER

GO WHITE SOX

the best lead off man we have had around here in a while???..ther eis no way in hell jimenez is a better lead off man or even close to being as good a ballplayer as durham is..

basically right now all 4 of our candiates suck at 2nd base...its looking for the best of a poor lot

lowesox
05-08-2003, 10:29 PM
What I'm about to suggest may seem a tad absurd to some, but it might be a worthwhile experiment. What about sending down Harris (who's been terrible) and calling up Miles. Then moving Ordonez to center, and having Miles play RF. I know, I know -- Miles is a second baseball but most infielders are able to adapt to the outfield. And I also know that Ordonez isn't the world's greatest centerfielder but imagine the offense? Miles is a sparkplug, and Rogers wrote that his teams always seem to win.

Possible lineup:

1. Miles RF
2. Jimenez 2B
3. Thomas DH
4. Ordonez CF
5. Valentin SS
6. Konerko 1B
7. Crede 3B
8. Lee LF
9. Olivo C

ALSO: Jimenez is the undisputed man at 2b.

Daver
05-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
What I'm about to suggest may seem a tad absurd to some, but it might be a worthwhile experiment. What about sending down Harris (who's been terrible) and calling up Miles. Then moving Ordonez to center, and having Miles play RF. I know, I know -- Miles is a second baseball but most infielders are able to adapt to the outfield. And I also know that Ordonez isn't the world's greatest centerfielder but imagine the offense? Miles is a sparkplug, and Rogers wrote that his teams always seem to win.

Possible lineup:

1. Miles RF
2. Jimenez 2B
3. Thomas DH
4. Ordonez CF
5. Valentin SS
6. Konerko 1B
7. Crede 3B
8. Lee LF
9. Olivo C

ALSO: Jimenez is the undisputed man at 2b.

Miles can barely play second base,and you want him to play RF?

Ordonez does not have the range to play center.

lowesox
05-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
Miles can barely play second base,and you want him to play RF?

Ordonez does not have the range to play center.

Like I said, I know that defensively it would be a major downgrade, but i think the offensive benefits would outweigh that. ORdonez has played CF before. And yeah, having Miles in RF might be an adventure but how else can we get his spark into the lineup?

I know you're big on getting Borcharde up Daver, but Borchard swings for the fences and strikes out a lot. And that's the kind of mentality that is killing this team right now.

We need more sparkplugs.

Daver
05-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Like I said, I know that defensively it would be a major downgrade, but i think the offensive benefits would outweigh that. ORdonez has played CF before. And yeah, having Miles in RF might be an adventure but how else can we get his spark into the lineup?

I know you're big on getting Borcharde up Daver, but Borchard swings for the fences and strikes out a lot. And that's the kind of mentality that is killing this team right now.

We need more sparkplugs.

Aaron Miles has hit well in the minors for exactly one season,he has been there for six,he will not be in Chicago anytime soon.

lowesox
05-08-2003, 11:32 PM
He's doing pretty well this season too. And he looked pretty good in the spring. Give me a guy who's been performing at a high level for a year, and I'll glady forget anything before that.

Daver
05-08-2003, 11:36 PM
He's doing pretty well this season too. And he looked pretty good in the spring. Give me a guy who's been performing at a high level for a year, and I'll glady forget anything before that.

Let me guess,you are an Aaron Rowand fan too.

Minor league careers don't lie,if you have trouble hitting at AA you are going to have an even worse time at the MLB level.

MHOUSE
05-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Well Daver how do you explain hitting .410 with 5 homers at AAA and hitting .100 in the MLB. I understand that if you can dominate the minors, you won't do well in the majors. But when will Harris ever figure out to bridge the gap at all?

Daver
05-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Well Daver how do you explain hitting .410 with 5 homers at AAA and hitting .100 in the MLB. I understand that if you can dominate the minors, you won't do well in the majors. But when will Harris ever figure out to bridge the gap at all?

Give me a break,he has one good month at AAA and you think he can project that to the next level?

baggio202
05-09-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by daver
Let me guess,you are an Aaron Rowand fan too.

Minor league careers don't lie,if you have trouble hitting at AA you are going to have an even worse time at the MLB level.

guess you are no fan of david eckstein then

kermittheefrog
05-09-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
guess you are no fan of david eckstein then

If there is a stigma Eckstein wasn't a good hitter in the minors it's a myth. Eckstein's Had a batting average over .300 and OBP well over .400 in 3 of 4 full minor league seasons. He was also a major threat on the basepaths. He had one bad season which caused Boston to immediately give up on him. Anaheim picked him up and you know where things went from there.

Bottom line, Eckstein DID hit in the minors. You're just not going to find a guy who didn't hit in the minors but hits well in the majors.