PDA

View Full Version : If we only built our new ballpark in the South Loop...

Viva Magglio
05-07-2003, 11:21 PM
...we could have had something like this:

Wish we did this? (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/ballpark/stl_ballpark_newpark_newballpark.jsp)

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-07-2003, 11:24 PM
that's beautiful, if our ballpark was like that, i'd prefer it over the current us cellular field

pissonthecubs
05-07-2003, 11:36 PM
the cardnials are looking like another team that knows what they need to do dealing with the building of a new ballpark. what blows my mind is how the Sox or the Bears do not have a stadium without a retractable roof. the city could have a Super Bowl every few years and the Sox could have one of the nicest parks in the majors. I have been to Miller Park and i love that ballpark. i find it hard to believe that an okay city like Millwaukee has such a nice park and a great city like Chicago has a football team that plays in a toilet bowl that was set in the middle of the old field and a baseball team that plays in a dressed up ugly girl of ballparks.

MarqSox
05-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
I have been to Miller Park and i love that ballpark. i find it hard to believe that an okay city like Millwaukee has such a nice park and a great city like Chicago has a football team that plays in a toilet bowl that was set in the middle of the old field and a baseball team that plays in a dressed up ugly girl of ballparks.

Miller Park is horribly overrated. I loved it the first two or three times I was there, but each time I go, I like it less and less ... having been there about a dozen times now, it ranks well behind U.S. Cellular on my list of favorite parks. Of course, it still blows County Stadium away ...

pissonthecubs
05-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Miller Park is horribly overrated. I loved it the first two or three times I was there, but each time I go, I like it less and less ... having been there about a dozen times now, it ranks well behind U.S. Cellular on my list of favorite parks. Of course, it still blows County Stadium away ...

i have been there four times and have enjoyed my experence there. i have been to eight or nine different ballparks and even though i do like the changes the Sox have made over the last few years, i can't say that Miller Park is "well behind" U.S. Cellular Field. i will agree with you on one point, both the Cell and Miller Park blow County Stadium out of the water.

Dan Gelo
05-08-2003, 01:56 AM
I liked County Stadium. It reminds me of when Old Comiskey was still around. I went to PNC last year, and I was ashamed of the cell. PNC is beautiful, and it looks right on the "beautiful" Pittsburgh skyline. Reminded me of what could have been.

Chisox_cali
05-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Do you really think that if they built our park in the south loop it would have looked like that? Remember, Retro parks weren't all the rage back in '89-'90. They probably would have built a New Comiskey there anyway, that's what JR wanted...

Kilroy
05-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
...They probably would have built a New Comiskey there anyway, that's what JR wanted...

Well, JR wanted to build that park in Addison. When that didn't fly they didn't rethink the design, they just put it where it is.

That said, Miller Park is way overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but not nicer than the Cell, just newer. And I found baseball indoors just plain wrong.

And to PISSONTHECUBS: The Cards also have the benefit of looking at all the new buildings that have gone up in the last decade and seeing what types of things people like about them. A benni that the Sox didn't have in 1989-91 when new Comisk was being built.

MRKARNO
05-08-2003, 07:22 AM
land in the south loop is now too valuable to move the park, so this speculation is garbage. Also, JR would be criticized by the MLB if he built a new park only 13 years after the current one opened

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 07:49 AM
WELL, it diffently looks like its going to be a beatuful ballpark......I am looking foward to its opening BE GOOD

nut_stock
05-08-2003, 08:14 AM
Those pictures reminded me that I need to take my camera to Bush Stadium sometime this summer. This is the last season it will be intact, as next year it will look like Cinergi Field in its final year.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Those Pictures have been up for a couple of years now. The Cards have been fighting with the city over exactly who pays what. But, theyre getting it done. Its going to be beautiful, and NOTICE how theyre also building other buildings/restaurants right across the street as part of a BIGGER Urban Renewal Project. Where the Sox bulldozed everything within 1,000 feet of the place, ST Louis is building condos, a museum, restaurants, parking, and bars just steps from the Park there. Though it blatantly looks like a COPY of Camden Yards/BallPark in Arlington (hey, Cardinals love everything AL) it will be one of the BEST parks built ever (because of the overall nod to the other projects, and because part of the project is privately financed, not like Comiskey, which was Extorted from the State of IL)

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 08:27 AM
ON my desk, I have a couple of those StL new park pictures downloaded from last year on my desk. Everytime I look at it, I pretend thats the Chicago Skyline in the background. Oh how that park wouldve put the Sox into the Upper Tier of Teams. Can You imagine being in London, Calcutta, or Vancouver, and your watching ESPN, and theyre showing replays of a bottom of the 9th walk off homer by Frank Thomas.....Sailing to Left Field....but as the camera Follows the Ball......A quick view of the Sears Tower, and our voted -best-skyline-in-the-world comes into view briefly,,,,,,before landing in the sold out bleachers on a summer nite......
Oh what could have been........

whitesoxwilkes
05-08-2003, 08:37 AM
If the ballpark was built in the South Loop, it would have been 3 blocks from my house. :)

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
If the ballpark was built in the South Loop, it would have been 3 blocks from my house. :)

And I wouldve been hanging out at Mike & Kris's Place all Summer......

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 08:50 AM
If we only built our new ballpark in the South Loop...

Sure, and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

The new park will be fine after the renovations are done. There's no use in crying over spilled milk.

jortafan
05-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen

The new park will be fine after the renovations are done. There's no use in crying over spilled milk.

You're right that it's spilled milk. Besides, when the Sox were trying to get a new stadium in the mid-1980s, some talk was done about a south Loop or west Loop location, only to run into political opposition. It was the clowns at City Hall who were insistent on keeping the White Sox in a building near 35th and Wentworth. The South Loop could never have happened.

Insofar as your aunt is concerned, I don't even want to think about it.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
You're right that it's spilled milk. Besides, when the Sox were trying to get a new stadium in the mid-1980s, some talk was done about a south Loop or west Loop location, only to run into political opposition. It was the clowns at City Hall who were insistent on keeping the White Sox in a building near 35th and Wentworth. The South Loop could never have happened.

Insofar as your aunt is concerned, I don't even want to think about it.

Yes, this is true, Clowns in City Hall got involved and mucked up a decent idea. I remember seeing Designs of what the Stadium was going to look like (idea was to share w the bears possibly)
The stadium was pretty ugly. Does anyone remember old Exhibition stadium before the Blue Jays moved out? Thats exactly what this place looked like. I remember one side of the stadium was OPEN, to look at the skyline, but that was it. It was pretty sterile looking also. Not to say they couldve redone it TODAY for todays standards

soxnut
05-08-2003, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen

The new park will be fine after the renovations are done. There's no use in crying over spilled milk. [/QUOTE

I agree. I think once the renovations are complete, we will have a ballpark that will be in the top echelon of ballparks.

Don't count the neighborhood around a ballpark as being part of the ballpark itself. Isn't that the reason many criticize the Wrigley going crowd of? Being there for the neighborhood around the park and not knowing what is going on -on the field? Do you want that?--sitting next to a bunch of dingbats saying--"who's at 2nd--Bar Louie??" ?

Of course it would be great to have a nice neighborhood around the park instead of just parking lots. But there will be a nice neighborhood nearby over the next few years. And, who knows, if conditions are right, maybe at some point, the Sox would be interested in selling one of the parking lots for commercial development. They could make a parking grage to replace however many lots they might sell.

I haven't been to the ballpark this year, but I liked what they did last year on the main concourse and I felt it was 100% better than before. From what I see on tv I think the park looks great, except for the ugly blue padding and seats. And so I can only imagine that when following through with the theme that is in place, USCF will look truly fantastic when the redo is complete.

And as for the current design of the park, that's just what was in style at the time it was designed. I have the Sports Illustrated from either 86 or 87 about the struggle for the new park and they had a picture of the model. I remember thinking it was a combination of Dodger and Royals stadiums --which were the two coolest ballparks at the time, only we were going to have the arched windows and our exploding scoreboard!! yahoo!! Of course, now, after all of the other parks have been built, Royals and Dodger are #16 and #21 in my stadium rankings. :smile:

maurice
05-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...we could have had something like this

:?:

What does the location have to do with the architecture of the ballpark? They could have built an ugly ball mall in the South Loop or a pretty, retro park on 35th. JR insisted on a ball mall surrounded by parking lots, irrespective of the location.

Heck, at one point they wanted to build a combo Bears/Sox facility with a dome in the South Loop, but the Bears scuttled it. That would have been a great place to watch a baseball game.

Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
If the ballpark was built in the South Loop, it would have been 3 blocks from my house.

But it's already 2 blocks from my house. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
The part that I like the best is the part that says "privately owned, privately financed."

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The part that I like the best is the part that says "privately owned, privately financed."

Blasphemous words to the vast marority of sport owners.

ChiSoxBobette
05-08-2003, 02:28 PM
...we could have had something like this:

Wish we did this? (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/ballpark/stl_ballpark_newpark_newballpark.jsp)
THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH OUR BALLPARK , WE'RE ALWAYS CRYING ABOUT SOMETHING WITH OUR TEAM. ITS THE SAME AS ALL OF THE OTHER BALLPARKS AND THIER UPPERDECKS , ITS STEEP JUST ANOTHER OVERBLOWN MEDIA HYPE TO RIP ON OUR WHITE SOX.
:?: -JERRY MANUEL
:whiner: -KENNY WILIAMS
:angry: -WHITE SOX FAN
GO WHITE SOX

Daver
05-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Turn off your caps lock please.

doublem23
05-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by daver
Turn off your caps lock please.

I think he's trying to be loud.

soxnut
05-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH OUR BALLPARK , WE'RE ALWAYS CRYING ABOUT SOMETHING WITH OUR TEAM. ITS THE SAME AS ALL OF THE OTHER BALLPARKS AND THIER UPPERDECKS , ITS STEEP JUST ANOTHER OVERBLOWN MEDIA HYPE TO RIP ON OUR WHITE SOX.
:?: -JERRY MANUEL
:whiner: -KENNY WILIAMS
:angry: -WHITE SOX FAN
GO WHITE SOX

DITTO :D:

T Dog
05-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Miller Park is horribly overrated.

Quite right, but it consistently gets raves from the media. Only a couple of news columnists in greater Milwaukee pointed out that there are plenty of seats in Miller Park from which seeing the game is an effort. Get seats over the visiting bullpen (as I did last week because I like to sit over the bullpen in Sox park) and you can't see the scoreboard or hear the public address system. The price to pay for the Dew Deck home run porch, I suppose. If you're not in one of the first few rows under the deck, you have to look around posts. They have television sets on the posts so you can follow the game. It's too bad that last week, the sets were switched over to the Bucks game after the fourth inning. There are luxury boxes at the top of the field-level seats, blocking the view of people walking around the concourse. It has a roof when the weather is bad, but it makes Sox park look intimate.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Art Allyn tried to get a South Loop location for a new Sox Park in the 1960's, on the same spot where Dearborn Park is today. It would have been one of those typical "donut" ballparks and probably hated today like all the others of that vintage.

Allyn was never able to get the deal off the ground. It was shortly thereafter that Selig convinced him to start playing "home" games at County Stadium in Milwaukee. It was about that time that the Sox moved off WGN for an upstart fuzzy-reception channel on that new-fangled UHF band, WFLD.

That was the beginning of the end for Sox marketing.

Viva Magglio
05-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
In fact, in the early '60's
he attempted to buy the Denver Broncos and move them to
Chicago; but AFL owners did not want to challenge George
Halas so soon after he chased the Cardinals out of town.

Just think, if that had come to fruition, could the Chicago AFC team have had John Elway and two Super Bowl championships to the Bears' one?

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 08:16 AM
What makes me MAD, is that the Cardinals Park is the EXACT one that should have been built here. Notice How It looks like an Exact Copy of Camden and Ballpark in Arlington?

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Just think, if that had come to fruition, could the Chicago AFC team have had John Elway and two Super Bowl championships to the Bears' one? No. This is Chicago you're talking about. It never works out that way.