PDA

View Full Version : One Fan Not Panicking Yet....

Jurr
05-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Frustration is so easy to succumb to. It's so easy to beg for the head of the manager. It's so easy to say this team is lifeless because they're not hitting. Yes..it sucks to be a Sox fan right now. But....I guarandamntee you these guys are going to piece this thing together. Something is going to happen for them to rally around.
I'll tell you this from 19 years of baseball playing experience. When you are not hitting, it's not a lack of passion that is collaring you. It's not like basketball or football where if you give a damn, you can jump higher, and make a play. In baseball, you can get yourself psyched out to where every ball coming off of the pitcher's release point looks like a strike, every fastball you gear up for turns out to be a change, etc. AND IT SUCKS when that happens!
However, chemistry is going to improve with a couple of wins. I thought the Twins series was that moment, but obviously not. You may say that the team has looked bad...but so has most teams playing Oakland. The Yanks (Goliath himself) got spanked by the A's while the Sox were playing Seattle. Neither of these teams are shabby. The Sox are going to find a rhythm, and you're (we're) all going to be happy. Losing attitude is contagious, and that's a manager's job to try and fight. But..he can't make those expected fastballs turn into fastballs and those outside pitches look outside on release. That's going to have to come around..the guys are going to have to get dialed in. It's easier to pitch when the guys are hitting as well. The pieces are here...we didn't get Todd Ritchie'd this year. Quality guys (would love more speed, though) are in place on this ball club. It is just going to take a little focus to get a spark. It's not going to come from a new coach..he's not going to make the pitches become clear. Upping the intensity in the batter's box doesn't make you hit the ball any easier. It's just gotta come..When it does, it'll all fall into place. I know it's easy to become the eternal pessimist (we're Sox fans, for God's sake)..I'm usually the first in line...but this is a different situation. We are not searching for a #2 guy in the rotation. Our bullpen is going to get into gear. There is a ton of baseball left, and despite our urge to want to scrap the system, it's not going to help..just keep rooting these guys on, and let's see what happens.

lowesox
05-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Welcome to WSI. Your positivity is much needed. Hopefully it will last. My straw broke two nights ago. I think that some of the panic and giving up you've been reading is indeed frustration. Everybody at this site still sees the potential for good things this season, otherwise they'd probably stop posting and watching the games.

You made a lot of good points. I think the real panic has come from being destroyed in the last 3-4 games. But you're right, one or two good games and we'll have forgotten this bad stretch.

The only thing I disagree with is having too much patience with the manager. We need a change - something to insite new energy. This group of guys seem to need their feathers ruffled before they get it in gear.

Daver
05-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Jurr
05-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Well...a little optimism around here may help! We get into gear and score 8 runs!!!!!!!! whoo hoo!!!!!! Let's hope it sticks for a little while!

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 07:37 AM
YES, this is just what we need to cheer these Sox fans up........ME, I am still "giddy" about this season :) BE GOOD

Dan H
05-08-2003, 10:14 AM
The reaction here was not panic. This was a reaction to a third straight slow start by a core of players who have been together for a long time. Face it. One reason this team is still in it is because they are in a lousy division. I enjoy optimisim too. I just don't live in la-la land.

voodoochile
05-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
Well...a little optimism around here may help! We get into gear and score 8 runs!!!!!!!! whoo hoo!!!!!! Let's hope it sticks for a little while!

Not to rain on your parade, I was happy they scored the runs also. But, the Sox were the beneficiery of 15 hits, 8 walks and 4 errors last night. Scoring 8 runs is damned low for that much production. They could easily have had 14-15 runs last night. The same problems that have confronted them all season long hurt them last night in particular, timely hitting. Meanwhile, the A's get the tying run to the plate in the 8th when they were losing by 5 with 2 outs and nobody on. The Sox HAVE to find more consistency or it is going to be a long season...

Originally posted by Dan H
The reaction here was not panic. This was a reaction to a third straight slow start by a core of players who have been together for a long time. Face it. One reason this team is still in it is because they are in a lousy division. I enjoy optimisim too. I just don't live in la-la land.

Well put. The Sox have too much raw talent to be playing this poorly. I am as optimistic as the next guy, but this team has been playing like C-R-A-P!

34 Inch Stick
05-08-2003, 10:41 AM
No matter how well the Sox do the rest of the season Manuel has sealed his fate with me. Year after year of poor defense, stupid base running, questionable lineups, bad pitching changes and a general lack of intensity point to a bad manager. These would be understandable one year. As a manager you diagnose the problem and either get rid of the offenders or focus on the problem in spring training. Jerry's team is the same every year. He must go.