PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Ownership Poll

Viva Magglio
05-07-2003, 01:30 PM
If Jerry Reinsdorf and the limited partners were to sell the White Sox, whom would you want the buyer to be?

The Crown Family - Billioniare Financiers

Andrew J. McKenna - Schwartz Paper Co CEO; former head of trustees at Notre Dame; co-owns 20% of Bears with Patrick G. Ryan; former Veeck Sox partner who is now on Tribune Co. board of directors; son may be a GOP candidate for U.S. Senate in Illinois

The Pritzker Family - Billionaires who own Hyatt hotel chain; internal strife between family members over family's assets

Patrick G. Ryan - Aon Corporation CEO; head of trustees at Northwestern University; donated millions of dollars to NU athletics (Welsh-Ryan Arena, Ryan Field), co-owns 20% of Bears with Andrew J. McKenna

Sam Zell - Billionaire real estate magnate in Chicago

Some of these candidates are better than others, but all of them would work to pull the White Sox out of the current malaise and REALLY try to make the team a winner.

DrCrawdad
05-07-2003, 01:37 PM
I can't vote since I don't know much about any of the persons listed.

thecell
05-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
If Jerry Reinsdorf and the limited partners were to sell the White Sox, whom would you want the buyer to be?

How about a brief description for each person so we know who they are?

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/savage/talk/savage1.htm (http://)

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 01:56 PM
http://www.aon.com/about/aon_corporation/management/ryan.jsp (http://)

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 01:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/04/30/chicago.heirs.ap/ (http://)

Blueprint1
05-07-2003, 02:00 PM
I didnt know it was Ryan insurance or i would have voted for him. Plus that guy knows how to Market. Something the sox need. I had a friend of mine listen to one of the sox comericals hes not a baseball fan. His responce, "could they make it any more boring?"

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 02:02 PM

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 02:04 PM
http://www.suburban-ohare.org/detail.asp?OBJECT_ID=522 (http://)

Daver
05-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Could you post this as links instead of copying the whole thing?

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 02:06 PM
John Jakes wrote a book about the Crowns called "Homeland"

Hailed as a New York Times 1993 "Notable Book of the Year" when first published, Homeland introduces a dynamic and colorful new family - the Crowns of Chicago.

As America hurtles through the final explosive events of the nineteenth century, a young German immigrant named Pauli Kroner finds his way to the Chicago mansion of his uncle, millionaire brewer Joe Crown.

Pauli's ultimate clash with the stern, proud patriarch forces him into a perilous existence on the city's dark side. There, as Paul Crown, he rises from penniless newcomer to pioneer newsreel cameraman whose adventures span a tumultuous decade of strikes, war, family scandal and heartbreak in the country he has chosen as his ... Homeland.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Sam Zell

Sam Zell, 58, is one of Chicago's first home-grown billionaires.

Education: B.A. degree in political science from the University of Michigan and a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School. He is visiting professor in honors at the College of Literature, Science and Arts at the University of Michigan, and he endowed business-education chairs at Michigan and at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.

Employment: Chairman, Equity Group Investments, Chicago, an entrepreneurial real estate investment firm. He also serves as chairman of many publicly held manufacturing, finance and service companies, including Equity Residential Properties Trust, the largest apartment real estate investment trust in the United States, and Equity Office Properties Trust, the largest office portfolio of any publicly traded company in the United States.

Honors: By the dozens.

Other: Trustee of the Field Museum, avid skier, racquetball player and motorcyclist; writer and speaker throughout the United States and Europe

Say No More !!!! I want Sam Zell to own the White Sox.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-07-2003, 03:43 PM
mark cuban would be a good owner.

realistically though i like zell

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 04:06 PM
I wonder how we can get the Sam Zell for Owner campaign Started?? Do you think that Jerry Reinsdorf would be so Stubborn, knowing that were mounting this campaign, to making sure that he lives to be 120 ??

Viva Magglio
05-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I wonder how we can get the Sam Zell for Owner campaign Started?? Do you think that Jerry Reinsdorf would be so Stubborn, knowing that were mounting this campaign, to making sure that he lives to be 120 ??

If Zell or anyone else of his financial ilk were to attempt to buy the White Sox, George Steinbrenner would fight it. Remember when Bill Veeck wanted to sell the Sox to Eddie DeBartolo, Sr.? The Boss fought that, claiming that DeBartolo had "questionable associations." The AL owners eventually turned DeBartolo away, and Veeck eventually sold the Sox to Jerry Reinsdorf and his group. The real reason Steinbrenner did not want DeBartolo to buy the White Sox was that King George would have to compete with DeBartolo for free agents.

Surely, Zell would pose the same challenge to Steinbrener if he owned the Sox. So you know.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
If Zell or anyone else of his financial ilk were to attempt to buy the White Sox, George Steinbrenner would fight it. Remember when Bill Veeck wanted to sell the Sox to Eddie DeBartolo, Sr.? The Boss fought that, claiming that DeBartolo had "questionable associations." The AL owners eventually turned DeBartolo away, and Veeck eventually sold the Sox to Jerry Reinsdorf and his group. The real reason Steinbrenner did not want DeBartolo to buy the White Sox was that King George would have to compete with DeBartolo for free agents.

Surely, Zell would pose the same challenge to Steinbrener if he owned the Sox. So you know.

YES, but this time, The WORDS OUT ON KING GEORGE, and we do have the Added Advantage that there Is NO COMMISSIONER right now. This is the best time to get in on this "poker game". There are No Rules. Anything Goes right now. If I had the billions, I would come in on my Horse, guns blazing. First thing in order, Id get out of the "lease" at new comiskey, and Start Construction, On New Comiskey, back across the street. Then,
Id start a Battle with King George that hasnt been seen between the Yanks and Sox since the 50's. What a Glorioius Time It would be .......as we emerge from the Dark Ages of ownership to the new South Side Renaissance.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
....AND most of All, I would bring something that Sox Fans havent enjoyed, and that is Dignity. We Would Be PROUD to be Sox Fans Again. One day People,,,,,our time will come. Oh for the fall of Reinsdorf....

Daver
05-07-2003, 05:24 PM
YES, but this time, The WORDS OUT ON KING GEORGE, and we do have the Added Advantage that there Is NO COMMISSIONER right now.

Dead Wrong.

The Commisioner of baseball has more power than he ever has in the past.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by daver
Dead Wrong.

The Commisioner of baseball has more power than he ever has in the past.

Like I said, there is No Commissioner in office Right Now. Theres an owner of a team sitting in the commissioners desk, sure, and he even wears a Suit and Tie Im told, but look at the mess and the mockery thats happened since this monkey took over. Weve got expansion teams placing themselves in Divisions, Weve got Owners crying poor, leaving their teams dead in the water, and then buying yet another team? A commissioner surely wouldnt have let that happen now could he? Its the Wild West right now with these owners

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Fay Vincent. Now theres a Commissioner. He dared to stand up to the Giant, Goliath-like Cubs and their ownership, and tried to do the right thing. Those warm and fuzzy lovable little blue "losers" showed their warm fuzziness by CRUSHING the ideal of "the right thing" and Vincent.
just another reason why I hate the Cubs, and why we need Order in the MLB. Til then, I come in guns blazing. (of course, i have to be approved, but id buy that too)

Daver
05-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Like I said, there is No Commissioner in office Right Now. Theres an owner of a team sitting in the commissioners desk, sure, and he even wears suits, but look at the mess and the mockery thats happened since this monkey took over. Weve got expansion teams placing themselves in Divisions, Weve got Owners crying poor, leaving their teams dead in the water, and then buying yet another team? A commissioner surely wouldnt have let that happen now could he? Its the Wild West right now with these owners

No,you have a commisioner that has done what no other commisioner has done before,he has brought all control to his own office.Bud has done away with the league presidents,he has done away with umpires union,and a few smaller things that have strenghthend his power base.This allows him to do things like have the league own a team in clear conflict of interest,and to loan money to Jeffrey Loria to buy a franchise in a questionable manner,and to handpick the ownership of the Boston Red Sox.He can do all of this because he answers to no one,as long as the franchises continue to climb in value he will continue to answer to no one.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
No,you have a commisioner that has done what no other commisioner has done before,he has brought all control to his own office.Bud has done away with the league presidents,he has done away with umpires union,and a few smaller things that have strenghthend his power base.This allows him to do things like have the league own a team in clear conflict of interest,and to loan money to Jeffrey Loria to buy a franchise in a questionable manner,and to handpick the ownership of the Boston Red Sox.He can do all of this because he answers to no one,as long as the franchises continue to climb in value he will continue to answer to no one.

damn. Daver your Right. Pretty remarkable when you think how bad this game/Selig has gotten. King George can simply tell Selig to wash his car in the morning, and by the way, REJECT this Sam Zell guys ownership bid. Im bummed now :(

RedPinStripes
05-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Since we're dreaming in this thread, why isnt Donald Trump one of the choices? :smile:

Daver
05-07-2003, 05:51 PM
damn. Daver your Right. Pretty remarkable when you think how bad this game/Selig has gotten. King George can simply tell Selig to wash his car in the morning, and by the way, REJECT this Sam Zell guys ownership bid. Im bummed now :(

George isn't going to win any fights with Bud,he tried and lost,remember?

The owners committee requires a 75% vote to approve an owner,Bud can swing that anytime he wants,with or without George Steinbrennar.

Bud can also unilaterally deny someone the right to even make a bid,you don't hear much about Bob Watson,who at one time was interested in the Twins and the Angels any more do you?

Nixey 02
05-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Mr. Ryan's interests lie with the Northside baseball team. He would not be a candidate.

Viva Magglio
05-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Nixey 02
Mr. Ryan's interests lie with the Northside baseball team. He would not be a candidate.

Ryan is on the Tribune Co. Board of Directors, but it is not absolutely certain where his baseball interests are.

MRKARNO
05-07-2003, 10:11 PM
I honestly don't think that at least Sam Zell, The Crowns or the Pritzkers would want to buy the team. Just trust me

Iguana775
05-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
mark cuban would be a good owner.

realistically though i like zell

ditto

pissonthecubs
05-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Sam Zell would have to be my pic out of the ones on the poll. the ones that i would not like would be the Crowne family and the Pritzkers. Being a life-long diehard Bears fan, seeing out a family can run a team, into the ground for the most part i would rather see a individual owner. like what ScottTheSoxFan said, mark cuban would be the best pick of owner if i had a choice to pick. just look at what he did for a team like the Mavs. and how he treats his players. thats what all other owners should look up to.

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Cuban by a long shot.

Please don't let anyone that has anything to do with running the Bears near the Sox. If there is one major sports franchise that is more poorly ran than the Sox it may be the Bears.

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I agree. families cant run teams. at least not chicago families

mandmandm
05-08-2003, 10:03 AM
The Crowns are the largest ownership holders of the Bulls and I believe have a piece of the Yankees.

Mammoo: did you do a search on the Crowns to find that Jakes book or do you know for fact that the book is based on the real Chicago Crowns? Based on the description of the book it sounds like fiction based on some events of the REAL Crowns but is definitely not the true story of the Crowns.

Crowns and Pritzers are in "the game" to make as much money as possible and keep the money in the family, not to please diehard sports fans with quality products on the field. See Bill Wirtz

Bobby Thigpen
05-08-2003, 10:43 AM
How about those brothers that own the Sacramento Kings?

They're worth tons of money, dedicated to winning, and apparently are dedicated to keeping teams in lesser markets. Plus they seem like pretty good guys.

TheBigHurt
05-08-2003, 10:47 AM
I voted for Pat Ryan.........SINCE his name is similar to mine: Danny Patrick Joseph Ryan

Jjav829
05-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
How about those brothers that own the Sacramento Kings?

They're worth tons of money, dedicated to winning, and apparently are dedicated to keeping teams in lesser markets. Plus they seem like pretty good guys.

The Maloofs are great. I would love to see an owner like Cuban or the Maloofs, but it will never happen.

booter14
05-08-2003, 11:53 AM
None of those Chicago money men are interested in the Sox; the Bears maybe but not the Sox.

Once the Anit-trust exemption is lifted from baseball, look for the Sox to be sold to the highest outside bidder and moved to another city. Portland, DC, Charlotte, and Nashville are obvious places that the White Sox will end up. Chicago can no longer support two baseball teams, and no one in their right mind would buy the White Sox to knowingly compete against the second richest baseball team only eight miles away.

When Eddie & JR bought the Sox, the Cubs were equally pathetic. They had their chance in 83' to buy a perrenial contender, but their window closed the following year. The Cubs regularly drew sub-10,000 crowds prior to 84' and the competition level between the Sox & Cubs was virtually equal. Today their are significantly more Cub fans, and the tide will never change regardless of what the Sox do this year or any year.

The Sox will be moved to Portland by 2006 or 2007 when the next bargaining agreement ends. Sox fans are like hockey fans; they are the same 200,000 to 300,000 fans that keep attendance levels at break even levels.

Daver
05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by booter14
None of those Chicago money men are interested in the Sox; the Bears maybe but not the Sox.

Once the Anit-trust exemption is lifted from baseball, look for the Sox to be sold to the highest outside bidder and moved to another city. Portland, DC, Charlotte, and Nashville are obvious places that the White Sox will end up. Chicago can no longer support two baseball teams, and no one in their right mind would buy the White Sox to knowingly compete against the second richest baseball team only eight miles away.

When Eddie & JR bought the Sox, the Cubs were equally pathetic. They had their chance in 83' to buy a perrenial contender, but their window closed the following year. The Cubs regularly drew sub-10,000 crowds prior to 84' and the competition level between the Sox & Cubs was virtually equal. Today their are significantly more Cub fans, and the tide will never change regardless of what the Sox do this year or any year.

The Sox will be moved to Portland by 2006 or 2007 when the next bargaining agreement ends. Sox fans are like hockey fans; they are the same 200,000 to 300,000 fans that keep attendance levels at break even levels.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

soxnut
05-08-2003, 12:14 PM

And then the Cubs will move into the newly renovated US Cellular Field in the new thriving south side neighborhood :D:

Yeah, thanks for coming aboard...... :(:

The Sox have been moving to Milwaukee, Denver and New Orleans for the last 30 years. I know it's a possiblity, but the tv deal hear is pretty sweet, I hear. But also it takes consistent winning to have a fan base, it was done in the early 90's and it can happen again. The Sox go through a rebirth every 10 years. so here's hoping again---it's been about 9 so far.(1994).

Hangar18
05-08-2003, 12:23 PM

This Apocolyptic Prediction could happen. the blame would be spread around but generally, there are about 10 things that started the Demise of this Organization. Incredible as it sounds, this club could well be on its way to Extinction. Ive said it before, the sox are fighting for their very existence whether they know it or not. If that other team were to go to the Series First (With bud seligs help) The sox might as well pack up. They would be the first team to Leave from a HUGE market since the Washington Senators and Brooklyn Dodgers. What a black eye it would be for MLB (ignoring all of the sox's history), the City Of Chicago,
and lastly, the Fans of the Sox. The Sox have made SOOO MANY BLUNDERS, PR, Management-wise, Market-wise, and Stadium-Wise, that those mistakes, with the Now problematic Chicago Media Hastening things, these Sox could be in big trouble. Im bummed

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Over the past few years we've had numerous discussions abot JR, attendance and moving. Why should JR move or sell when he's just about guaranteed a profit every year?

"Illinois taxpayers also got the short end of the deal. While Reinsdorf innocently insists, "I didn't get into baseball to make money. Baseball is my religion. I'm happy to break even," the Comiskey deal gave him free rent for up to 1.2 million in attendance each year. The Sox pay the state $2.50 for every ticket from 1.2 to 2 million, yet the team also gets back $5 million a year for stadium repairs and maintenance. In addition, the state buys 300,000 tickets if attendance drops below 1.5 after the year 2001, so in actuality, Reinsdorf got public funds to build his stadium and subsidies to guarantee its profitability"

http://new.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Profiles/People_Profile/0,2540,87,00.html

booter14
05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
those are all good points, but it is chump change compared to possible revenue in an un-competitive atmosphere.

In Charlotte, where they would be the only team within hundreds of miles, they could easily draw in the 2-3 million range early on and consistently 2 million thereafter. Couple that with some easy tv & radio money, they would double the profit they already make in chicago.

JR is thinking long term with his buddy Bud. Expansion is no longer a possibility thanks to losers like Tampa & Miami, so new cities will only be added via movement. Baseball franchises are like casino licenses now; bunched together they end up splitting revenue.

There are several "casino licenses" that would be worth significantly more if they were placed in different markets: White Sox, Royals, Expos(obviously), Devil Rays and/or Marlins. Depending on when, how and where the Expos' move goes, figure on seeing a whole bunch of movement in the next ten years. Under this scenario, JR is sitting on a gold mine. The team is worthless is Chicago, but in Portland or Charlotte it could approach a billion in value.

Under check, team movement is good for the sport. See pro football in the seventies and eighties; football franchises always follow the money. It is becoming a necessary evil in baseball.

I left the Twins off the list because that was a smoke screen. Bud is just trying to get his pal Carl a decent outdoor stadium.

Daver
05-08-2003, 01:37 PM

I left the Twins off the list because that was a smoke screen. Bud is just trying to get his pal Carl a decent outdoor stadium.

He did the same thing with the Sox to get new Comiskey built,moving to Tampa was a bluff and the state fell for it.

Paulwny
05-08-2003, 07:31 PM
[B Under this scenario, JR is sitting on a gold mine. The team is worthless is Chicago, but in Portland or Charlotte it could approach a billion in value.
[/B]

Other then Montreal I can't picture an owner wanting to move to Portland or a player wanting to play there.

SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- A $150-million stadium financing package aimed at bringing the Montreal Expos was approved 33-25 Wednesday by the Oregon House.

The bill, which now goes to the Oregon Senate, authorizes the use of income tax revenue from players and team officials to help pay for construction bonds that represent the state's part of the estimated $350 million in construction costs

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030507/mlb_mtl-ap.html

1951Campbell
05-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Sox fans, there is only one ideal new ownership situation:

1. I, 1951Campbell, finally patent my Edible Burrito Staple (tm), allowing hundreds of millions of unskilled Anglos to make and eat burritos that do not fall apart. My net worth soars to just over $1 billion.

2. I buy the Sox.

3. I build a sweet, $500,000,000 stadium in the city of Chicago...in Armour Park, South Loop, by Miegs Field...whatever is the most feasible. The stadium will never bear a corporate name. It will be irregualrly shaped, and it will have about 52,000 seats to make up for the low ticket prices. Volume!

4. I spend untold millions on player development and luring a top-notch GM to Chicago, such as Billy Beane.

5. The Sox will win the World Series. When I, the owner, am up on the podium after the victory, I will thank the fans, the City of Chicago, the organization...and then I'll say "Cubs Suck!" as Bud looks on in horror.

6. City of Chicago puts up statue of me in Grant Park.

Well, maybe #6 is unrealistic. :smile:

jabrch
05-08-2003, 10:42 PM
He is EXACTLY what we need. He'd get good players, build good facilities, market well, and bring fans to the park.

Hangar18
05-09-2003, 12:33 PM
I want 1951 to be the owner

Procol Harum
05-09-2003, 01:24 PM
1951 is my second choice for Sox owner. My first choice--c'est moi!!

My major change in his scenario would be to build said sweet stadium out somewhere to the southwest on a huge hunk o' land and majorly accessible to I-355, the Stevenson, I-294, and I-57--an area that would be closer to the majority of Sox fans. Whether or not said large plot of land actually exists--who knows? But I'll be so rich after backing the inventor for cold fusion who will turn my original $10,000 investment into $10 billion that it won't matter--perhaps I'll simply buy Palos Park and bulldoze it for a nobler cause... :)