PDA

View Full Version : Konerko & Maggs are tied for 1st in the Majors

South Sider
05-07-2003, 10:24 AM
By clicking this link you will get all the facts you need to
realize what our 4, 5 and 6 hitters are capable off
(Lee is slightly furher down....but just a few games away to
join Pauli and Maggs on top of the list)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=0&league=9&season=2003&seasonType=2&sort=GIDPs&type=batexp

No comment necessary !

I don't wanna be cruel, 'cause I still love the SOX
It just hurts so much beeing a Fan this season
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Iwritecode
05-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by South Sider
By clicking this link you will get all the facts you need to
realize what our 4, 5 and 6 hitters are capable off
(Lee is slightly furher down....but just a few games away to
join Pauli and Maggs on top of the list)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=0&league=9&season=2003&seasonType=2&sort=GIDPs&type=batexp

No comment necessary !

I don't wanna be cruel, 'cause I still love the SOX
It just hurts so much beeing a Fan this season
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

I don't even have to click the link to know that it's grounding into DP's. That's exactly what's been killing our offense lately and what gave the game away last night...

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 10:50 AM
I guess the Sox got tired of Ray Durhams ability to run in the "Hit and Run" aspect. He was always making it to 2nd and if there was an error or bad play on the opposition, he'd make 3rd and sometimes score with his speed. Sox got tired of that. Wanted someone more "stationary" so as not to distract the hitters with all of their motion and running around on the paths.
Confucius says:

"He who remove fast runner from top of lineup, will lead league in double-plays"

wirtzbeer55
05-07-2003, 12:56 PM
With 8 GDP apiece, Konerko and Maggs are atop the AL in that category. Now this can be a deceiving stat at the team level (example: NYY are 5th highest in GDP and DET are 29th) but the fact remains that D'Angelo is doing a great job -at the plate- only to get forced out or stranded time and time again. No quick fix other than for #14 and #30 to start hitting!

Kilroy
05-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I guess the Sox got tired of Ray Durhams ability to run in the "Hit and Run" aspect.

Don't be re-writing history, now. It was a plain and simple fact that the Sox were not going to pay Durham the 6-7 mil he wanted. And many people around here didn't think he was worth the 5 mil he was getting. I know one thing, he would have caught that pop-up last night...

MisterB
05-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by wirtzbeer55
With 8 GDP apiece, Konerko and Maggs are atop the AL in that category. Now this can be a deceiving stat at the team level (example: NYY are 5th highest in GDP and DET are 29th) but the fact remains that D'Angelo is doing a great job -at the plate- only to get forced out or stranded time and time again. No quick fix other than for #14 and #30 to start hitting!

It's not too deceptive if you know what you're looking at. GIDP numbers are heavily affected by how many runners get on base. The Yankees/Tigers comparison is reflective of the fact that NY puts a lot more men on base than Detroit does, and therefore has more chances to ground into DP's.

This also shows up at the individual level, too. Last year Maggs ground into 21 DP's, which tied him for 8th in the majors (Tejada also had 21), but he still drove in a lot of runs. Middle of the order hitters (typically #3 & 4 batters) tend to have guys on base ahead of them, so the GIDP numbers are higher. What isn't a good sign is high DP numbers from bottom of the order batters (Brad Ausmus led the majors with 30 GIDP last year.) or middle of the order batters with low RBI totals as well. (at the top of the current list, Maggs has 19 RBI's, Bagwell 22, Manny Ramirez 23, Konerko only 10)