PDA

View Full Version : At least Kris Honel is good

SoxxoS
05-07-2003, 02:20 AM
from warthogs.com-

The Winston-Salem Warthogs (16-12) split a double header at Lynchburg on Tuesday night. The Warthogs won game one, 7-1 thanks in part to a complete game by RHP Kris Honel. Honel gave up only one run on two hits and struck a team season high 12 Hillcats

Wow. A pitcher that actually gets guys to swing and miss at the ball. That's a concept.

Good thing we have such a good track record with young stud pitchers.

NC_sox_fan
05-07-2003, 07:23 PM
From the Carolina League -- Pitching Top Ten (all stats are dated 5-6-03)

1. Ryan Meaux Winston-Salem ERA 0.00
IP 22

5. Ryan Wing Winston-Salem ERA 2.04
IP 35

Strike-Out Leaders

1. Kris Honel Winston-Salem SO 37
4. Ryan Wing Winston-Salem SO 31

Additional Pitching Leaders
2. Josh Fields Winston-Salem 13 (games)

Complete Games
Kris Honel Winston-Salem 1

Hitting Stats

Stolen Bases
1. Ruddy Yan Winston-Salem 22

Hits
2. Ruddy Yan Winston-Salem 36

Runs Scored
5. Ruddy Yan 24

Looking good so far! :smile:

SoxxoS
05-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Hopefull the Honel/Wing/Meaux combination is better than the Rauch/Garland/Wells combination we all know and love.

baggio202
05-07-2003, 08:05 PM
this would be a great time to package him up with somebody (i think we have had him long enough so we can move him) and look to trade for a great prospect at SS or CF....hensley ramirez from beantown looking good....we got pichers coming out the ying yang ...we have zero positions players after borchard

Daver
05-07-2003, 08:09 PM
From BA:

WINSTON-SALEM (Carolina) RHP KRIS HONEL struck out a season-high 12 in his first career complete game as the Warthogs defeated the Lynchburg Hillcats 7-1 in the first game of a doubleheader. Honel--selected 16th overall by the White Sox in the 2001 draft out of Providence Catholic High in New Lenox, Ill.--yielded one run, allowed two hits and issued three walks over seven innings to earn his second straight win. The 20-year-old did not surrender a hit after the second inning and fanned six straight between the second and fourth, including the side in the third. A South Atlantic League all-star last year, Honel retired nine consecutive batters to close out the game, including four of the final six on strikes. Using an arsenal that includes a knuckle-curve and low-90s fastball, Honel has allowed two earned runs, scattered seven hits and struck out 18 in his last 13 innings.

Iguana775
05-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
this would be a great time to package him up with somebody (i think we have had him long enough so we can move him) and look to trade for a great prospect at SS or CF....hensley ramirez from beantown looking good....we got pichers coming out the ying yang ...we have zero positions players after borchard

NOOOOOOO!!!! trade anyone else (in the minors) but him. i think the guy could be a very damn good, if not great pitcher. he has good control, a killer curve and a nice FB. plus, he has extremely good mechanics, IIRC.

Randar68
05-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
NOOOOOOO!!!! trade anyone else (in the minors) but him. i think the guy could be a very damn good, if not great pitcher. he has good control, a killer curve and a nice FB. plus, he has extremely good mechanics, IIRC.

At least someone has been paying attention.

His velocity is back into the 92-94 range where it was before the draft... good news.

Chisox_cali
05-07-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

His velocity is back into the 92-94 range where it was before the draft... good news.

Really? Sweet :)

Iguana775
05-07-2003, 10:48 PM

Hey, I'll surprise people from time to time with that. lol.

how long till he is ready? Mid season call up next year?

Daver
05-07-2003, 10:54 PM

Your asking a lot from a guy pitching in A ball right now Iggy.

Iguana775
05-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by daver
Your asking a lot from a guy pitching in A ball right now Iggy.

Yea, I guess you are right. I am just getting excited about seeing him in a Sox uni. :D:

Chisox_cali
05-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Maybe a mid to late season call up to B-ham for him this season?

baggio202
05-08-2003, 01:25 AM

hanley ramirez..20 year old legit 5 tool prospect from the red sox...SS...number 34 on the top 100...youngest player on the list...we need some postion players...especially a SS...look at all the cant miss pitcher's that we have drafted that never panned out....2 years ago everyone would have been saying the same thing about corwin malone...no dont trade him..i dont care if its for the next nomar...he's a lefty that throws 95 mph and stuck out 12 per 9 innings!!!...now we would dump malone for a good utility prospect...

SoxxoS
05-08-2003, 01:43 AM
hanley ramirez..20 year old legit 5 tool prospect from the red sox...SS...number 34 on the top 100...youngest player on the list...we need some postion players...especially a SS...look at all the cant miss pitcher's that we have drafted that never panned out....2 years ago everyone would have been saying the same thing about corwin malone...no dont trade him..i dont care if its for the next nomar...he's a lefty that throws 95 mph and stuck out 12 per 9 innings!!!...now we would dump malone for a good utility prospect...

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, however, things are different when you are talking about a first round pick out of high school that is having success wherever he pitches. You can't ask for more than what you ask of him.
Plus, you know that if we traded Honel he would be the one guy that pans out into the "ace" out of all of them.

jeremyb1
05-08-2003, 01:44 AM

problem is i don't think there's any way we could get ramirez for honel. you said it yourself, he's a 20 year old 5 tool prospect at ss and young pitchers are unpredictable.

baggio202
05-08-2003, 02:21 AM
how about honel and koch :D:

Vsahajpal
05-08-2003, 03:24 AM

What list?

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 07:39 AM

I never had the supposed chubby for Malone.

southpaw40
05-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Here in SW Virginia, I get to see and hear a lot about some of the lower level prospects (High A, Low A, and Rookie League). Some of the names which bear watching (IMO):
Morse - SS - Winston Salem
Lopez - 2b - Winston Salem
Wing - p - Winston Salem
Honel - p - Winston Salem
Webster - cf - Kannapolis
I haven't seen the roster for the Bristol team, but I would imagine there will be several good players on that defending championship team, too.
All in all, the farm system has a lot of promising young players who haven't attracted a lot of attention because they're not advanced, but in a couple more years, these guys will be heard from!

doublem23
05-08-2003, 08:20 AM

I think after watching the inconsistency of Garland, Wells, etc. the Sox are going to be overly patient with Honel.

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I think after watching the inconsistency of Garland, Wells, etc. the Sox are going to be overly patient with Honel.

That was my though, too.

Randar68
05-08-2003, 10:31 AM

Except for the fact that he only had proven for one season he knew where the plate was. Now, he's back to the old routine. Honel has done it continuously.

He's a young kid who has had some tendanitis problems and is a really skinny kid. He needs to put some weight on.

He has been on pretty strict pitch counts for the last 2 seasons and I don't expect that to change until he prooves he can stay healthy.

Despite dominating at Kannapolis last season, he was not promoted. I expect the Sox to continue with the one-level per year pace they have him on now.

He was consistently in the low 90's in High School and was in the 87-90 range since he was drafted. It is good to see his velocity back, and barring injury, this guy is going to be a very good pitcher.

Think, right-handed Barry Zito.

Randar68
05-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by southpaw40
Here in SW Virginia, I get to see and hear a lot about some of the lower level prospects (High A, Low A, and Rookie League). Some of the names which bear watching (IMO):
Morse - SS - Winston Salem
Lopez - 2b - Winston Salem
Wing - p - Winston Salem
Honel - p - Winston Salem
Webster - cf - Kannapolis

This is a very good point. Ryan Wing was a project draft pick. Great frame and good tools, but inconsistent mechanics. He has been nothing short of remarkable since the second half of last season. He isn't as highly regarded as many in the system, but he may have a higher ceiling than Honel. Honel already has great mechanics and control and a major-league out-pitch. Wing has some electric stuff though.

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 11:49 AM

Think, right-handed Barry Zito. [/B]

I was kind of thinking Moose. Doesnt Moose throw a knuckle curve also? I thought he did. That is a killer pitch to be able to throw.

Randar68
05-08-2003, 01:03 PM
I was kind of thinking Moose. Doesnt Moose throw a knuckle curve also? I thought he did. That is a killer pitch to be able to throw.

Yes, that's Mussina's best pitch. Kris learned it at a pitcher's camp from an FSU (maybe it was Miami) coach when he was 16 or so IIRC. Not many people are able to throw it effectively, but it's not hard on your arm/elbow if you learn it right.

Control is Kris' best attribute.

Iguana775
05-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Yes, that's Mussina's best pitch. Kris learned it at a pitcher's camp from an FSU (maybe it was Miami) coach when he was 16 or so IIRC. Not many people are able to throw it effectively, but it's not hard on your arm/elbow if you learn it right.

Control is Kris' best attribute.

That is what I remember about Honel....his control. It is pretty damn good. Combine that with his curve and a good FB, you got a nice combo. Does he have any type of change up?

Daver
05-08-2003, 01:32 PM
That is what I remember about Honel....his control. It is pretty damn good. Combine that with his curve and a good FB, you got a nice combo. Does he have any type of change up?

Yes.