PDA

View Full Version : An apology from the Pollyannas?

pudge
05-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Okay, I want to hear it honestly now... Does anyone feel a bit foolish for standing whole-heartedly behind this team even though they were playing like garbage in April? Is there any optimism left after that pathetic 6-0 game in which we did nothing but make errors, ground into double plays and look like a minor league team??

I tend to rant when I see my team playing bad baseball. The wins or losses don't really matter much it me, it's how you play the games. But I get slightly offended when I get labeled a cynic. People tend to say, "It's only one loss, it doesn't mean anything." Like I said, it's not about a win or loss, but rather how you play the game. Personally, I thought another mediocre season was headed our way by about April 7th. I'm not saying that to be an ass, I'm saying it because that's how I felt.

I know there are some folks on here who tend to be too negative. But for today, I think those foolishly blind fans who chose to see a ray of sunshine after every sad April loss need to stand up, admit their naivete, and take it like a man.

Of course, things can still turn around. Maybe we'll have a new GM or new Manager soon. But we still have a heavily right-handed lineup that does nothing but swing for the fences. And we have a closer who's a headcase and an Ace that's 2-5. I don't think Bobby Valentine can save us now...

jeremyb1
05-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Okay, I want to hear it honestly now... Does anyone feel a bit foolish for standing whole-heartedly behind this team even though they were playing like garbage in April? Is there any optimism left after that pathetic 6-0 game in which we did nothing but make errors, ground into double plays and look like a minor league team??

I tend to rant when I see my team playing bad baseball. The wins or losses don't really matter much it me, it's how you play the games. But I get slightly offended when I get labeled a cynic. People tend to say, "It's only one loss, it doesn't mean anything." Like I said, it's not about a win or loss, but rather how you play the game. Personally, I thought another mediocre season was headed our way by about April 7th. I'm not saying that to be an ass, I'm saying it because that's how I felt.

I know there are some folks on here who tend to be too negative. But for today, I think those foolishly blind fans who chose to see a ray of sunshine after every sad April loss need to stand up, admit their naivete, and take it like a man.

Of course, things can still turn around. Maybe we'll have a new GM or new Manager soon. But we still have a heavily right-handed lineup that does nothing but swing for the fences. And we have a closer who's a headcase and an Ace that's 2-5. I don't think Bobby Valentine can save us now...

i don't necessarily disagree with you but i do think that people think they can determine the energy level and "heart" of a team far more than they actually can. i agree with manuel here. you tell me, what could the team have done tonight to show you that they were "fired up" outside of playing better baseball. maybe they played with a ton of heart and determination but simply weren't any good tonight. at one point did they have the opportunity to act fired up and show emotion in a 0-6 loss?

if you're talking about playing like crap, we certainly did that tonight. we were terrible and we've been terrible and its incredibly frustrating. however, i think its unfair to read too much into what you think the team's intensity is. the bottom line is we're not playing well and we're losing. i don't think the ability to hit has much to do with being fired up and we simply cannot hit.

SoxxoS
05-07-2003, 02:26 AM
The thing that I don't like is when/if we have all these changes, it is going to take awhile for them to get acclimated. Especially the hitting coach. If we wait to fire ward, there is going to be a grace period there with the new hitting coach (walker). That might take time. The question is-How much more time do we have until we eliminate ourselves? Is it the All Star Break? Is it May 30th? Don't forget we have a lot harder schedule in the second half, not to mention what JR is going to do come the trade deadline. So, being eliminated could come a lot sooner than later. Let's get the new personnel in (whoever that is) and get going. The sooner the better. We have a "cake" schedule after this west coast trip until we go to Arizona on June 4th. A "cake" schedule for a good team, anyway. Those teams are probably marking the Sox down as "W's" the way this team has been playing.

kermittheefrog
05-07-2003, 03:03 AM
I don't feel like I need to apologize for being optimistic and I still feel like the team has a good shot to win the division. We aren't yet far behind our closest competitor and there is lots of baseball to be played. The team has some problems but they aren't unfixable and I have to insist that our best bats aren't hitting yet. They will hit and we will score more runs. This Sox team isn't bad.

dougs78
05-07-2003, 09:49 AM
I had a strong belief that the Sox would be good this season. However one of my main arguments for this reasoning was the seemingly outstanding lineup we were putting on the field. Clearly this has not been the case, but there is absolutely no historical precedence for our entire lineup to be hitting near the mendoza line for the past 15 games. Anyone who someone predicted this has some information that is not available to anyone else in the world. As Kermit and Jeremy rightly point out...WE DO HAVE GOOD HITTERS! It just so happens that they aren't doing anything right now.

As for our pitching and our Ace being 2-5, i'd like to see who also predicted that. Its one thing if Buehrle is getting rocked, but he has an ERA of 3.5!! I wonder how many pitchers have 5 losses with an ERA so low.

The bottom line is this seasons hope was based on solid pitching and great hitting. We have gotten the solid pitching, but we have not had anything near great hitting. Based on career numbers, that simply has to change.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 11:06 AM
Call me a CYNIC then. I dont think this team has "IT" this year. This year anyway. I would LOOOOOOOVE to be proven wrong, I really want this team to win badly. But Man, how much more can this team take before it implodes? Kermit, and everyone else, Im glad you guys are optimistic about this team, obviously, we Cant ALL be optimistic (otherwise we resemble cub fans) and we cant ALL be Cynical either. WE need the balance so we can discuss things here then. I HOPE IM WRONG.

pudge
05-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Call me a CYNIC then. I dont think this team has "IT" this year. This year anyway. I would LOOOOOOOVE to be proven wrong, I really want this team to win badly. But Man, how much more can this team take before it implodes? Kermit, and everyone else, Im glad you guys are optimistic about this team, obviously, we Cant ALL be optimistic (otherwise we resemble cub fans) and we cant ALL be Cynical either. WE need the balance so we can discuss things here then. I HOPE IM WRONG.

Very well said Hangar, and I also want to agree with jeremy's point about people talking about "heart" and "intensity". You can have a lot of heart and still play stupid. So I put little stock into that.

bc2k
05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
you tell me, what could the team have done tonight to show you that they were "fired up" outside of playing better baseball.

For starters, they could have ran 90 feet.

Foulke You
05-07-2003, 02:00 PM
I'm kind've floating somewhere between Kermit and Pudge/Hangar18's view of the situation. After last night's pathetic display, I wasn't feeling too good about our chances especially with everything going KC's way and the Twins slowly starting to gain momentum. On the same note, I don't see how this team can continue to hit as poorly as they have, not with that much thunder in the lineup. The weather will warm up soon and hopefully so will our bats. I just don't see these hitters continuing this terrible stretch for the remainder of the season. I also am optimistic that Koch can get things turned around again and start throwing 99mph like we know he can. I just hope we aren't 12 games out of first place and 10 under .500 before this all happens. :(:

bc2k
05-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by pudge
But for today, I think those foolishly blind fans who chose to see a ray of sunshine after every sad April loss need to stand up, admit their naivete, and take it like a man.

I'm still waiting for the same from Thomas fans.

TheBigHurt
05-07-2003, 05:04 PM
HONSELTEY, I feel the same in March as I do today, which is this team could win the World Series......BE GOOD