PDA

View Full Version : The Real Problem

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Perhaps this rinky-dink White Sox ownership set up is the problem. Perhaps it's time for this group (including Reinsdorf) to sell to one man or corporation who is willing to do what it takes to bring pride to the South Side. :?:

Sometimes you must tear the structure down to the foundation before it can be built up again. I know it sounds cliche, but in this case...who knows??? :(:

soxnut
05-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Corporations don't buy teams to win, they buy them to make money.........isn't that what many accuse JR of doing, just trying to make money? I don't have a problem with JR. If someone else bought them, who knows,maybe ticket prices would be as bad as New York, Boston and Texas. No thanks..

I think the Angels(who were owned by Disney) won the WS on a fluke, they weren't doing that much better than the Sox on record, so I don't see the difference, except that they did win the WS(which I know sounds crazy), but they just sold them--after winning a WS is probably the best time for a corporation to do so.

You really need baseball people to buy a team if you want a winner. Who do you think would buy the Sox anyway? And would they keep them in Chicago? You have cities like DC, Portland and San Juan as markets that want a team. I think the best tv deal is in Chicago, but the Rams moved out of LA for St. Louis so......be careful what you wish for............. :(:

baggio202
05-07-2003, 01:46 AM
soxnut hit the nail on the head...as much as i dislike the way reinsdorf runs the sox..he now has us locked in under his ownership on the south side for the next 20 years or so...how would everyone feel if reisney sold the team to a group of businessmen from portland or DC????

Mammoo
05-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Baseball attendance is down in various cities because the excitement of a new state of the art stadium has worn off. Teams move and build stadiums to generate revenue on the short term. Long term you still must win to draw crowds, I don't care how many sleepovers, dog days and bobbleheads you market!

This proves in the final analysis that fans will support a consistent winner. Reinsdorf and Company have certainly not come through in that department.

Now if you are going to live in fear that the team will move to second class sports town like Portland or a saturated area like D.C. (remember, they couldn,t keep the Senators) then you get what YOU ask for.

The best thing about Sox fans is they refuse to pay good money for a bad team. The Cubs have enjoyed the opposite from their fans because of the park and the neighborhood. The Sox don't have that luxury so they must do it the old fashioned way.

With apologies to Al Davis; "Just Win, Jerry!"

P.S. There are some pretty affluent people in our little backwater town of Chicago. I'm sure Reiny can find someone local to buy the team. Besides, with entanglements like the Illinois Sports Authority and U.S. Cellular, where are they going???

thecell
05-07-2003, 11:27 AM
I've got it! If each one of us throws in a few million, we can buy the team. If that were to happen, I guarantee a WS championship within 3 years.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Baseball attendance is down in various cities because the excitement of a new state of the art stadium has worn off. Teams move and build stadiums to generate revenue on the short term. Long term you still must win to draw crowds, I don't care how many sleepovers, dog days and bobbleheads you market!

Wait a Second here. Owner/Commissioner Bud Selig and current MLB thinking says that for a Team to be Financially Successful, they MUST BUILD NEW STADIUMS. What The......
Hmmmm, I think its safe to say that building a new stadium doesnt guarantee success. Anyone can see that. Except Bud himself. What does he care, hes got his Miller Park, squeaky roof and all. What A Sham major league baseball really is.....

trimbo
05-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by soxnut

I think the Angels(who were owned by Disney) won the WS on a fluke, they weren't doing that much better than the Sox on record, so I don't see the difference, except that they did win the WS(which I know sounds crazy), but they just sold them--after winning a WS is probably the best time for a corporation to do so.

Beating the Giants on the brink of elimination could be a fluke... Angels lucked out with Dusty starting Livan "Double Cheese with Bacon" Hernandez in game 7. Bonds's fielding error, etc..

But leading up to that, the Angels played like a great team. I don't know what you mean by "They weren't doing much better than the Sox on record." Uhhh, they won 99 games, the Sox won 81. Their division had 103, 99 and 93 game winners. Oh yeah, then they beat the Yankees in the first round. The Angels were (and are, record nonwithstanding -- they started slow last year) a better team than the Sox.

I'm only bringing this up because whether or not those last couple of games were a fluke, it's hard to argue against consistent winning, which is what the Angels did last season. You're right, the Sox should be that good -- we have the same level (or better) talent than that team does. The difference is one of management and player confidence. I don't think a new owner has to be "baseball people"... just one with a big frickin' wallet who hires the right people and knows when to fire a guy.